I wouldn't mind parking this car next to my legacy!

This is for non-Subaru related topics. Keep it realistic please.

Moderator: Moderators

boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

I wouldn't mind parking this car next to my legacy!

Post by boostjunkie »

It's like the BIZARRO to my superman. . . legacy, that is :)

Same model year too!!

91 Galant VR4 road car

Road car only, never raced or rallied. 80,000 miles with original owner since falling in love, September 90, in New York City where it has lived since.

New, bigger turbo swap out 7000 miles ago, plus new dampers all round, new vented, cross drilled rotors plus new pads, Pirelli 6000's, battery, and all hoses, then new alternator two weeks ago.

The car is green and bears the edition # 139. I have every bill I have paid for the car and it has been faithfully serviced. The bodywork needs some effort, but there is no rust. $5,000

Or this one (It's white too!):

91 Galant VR4

4sale 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR4: white,no sunroof, 152800 miles #164 of 2000, runs good, does not burn oil,small p.s oil leak ,4 new Goodyear tires,this car is 99%original,never raced or abused,all original interior,factory sound system CD&cassette&equalizer all works .This car has never been crashed,the paint is still ok no big scratches or dents. I did replace both headlights with ones from a 93 galant I liked the clear look of the 93s.$4750.
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
eastbaysubaru
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by eastbaysubaru »

My good buddy in Wyoming is a GVR4 freak. He originally had a Galant GSX and destroyed that thing rallying the crap out of it. After that car died, he picked up a VR4. It's a fun ass car, but I'm no Mitsu guy :wink:

-Brian
'04 PSM FXT
JasonGrahn
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Re: I wouldn't mind parking this car next to my legacy!

Post by JasonGrahn »

boostjunkie wrote:Road car only, never raced or rallied....

New, bigger turbo swap out 7000 miles ago, plus new dampers all round, new vented, cross drilled rotors plus new pads, Pirelli 6000's, battery, and all hoses, then new alternator two weeks ago.
Yeah.... Riiiiiiight.

I don't know ONE dsmer who doesn't swap out their turbo for a bigger one without the intent to bash on the car! This car has been raced. I Gar-un-tee it!
-Jason Grahn
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Remember, it's just a GSX driveline in a Galant body.

It still has the tranny and crank-walk issues of the GSX Eclipse.

It'd be pretty cool though. Almost as much of a sleeper as the Turbo Leg.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

BAC5.2 wrote:Remember, it's just a GSX driveline in a Galant body.

It still has the tranny and crank-walk issues of the GSX Eclipse.
Nope. Remember, the supposed crankwalk issues were only evident on the second gen (7-bolt) 4g63s. The vr4 had the 6-bolt engine.

Plus, I don't think the Mitsu trannies are any more prone to breaking, than say, a 5-spd subaru tranny! LOL! GLASS!

I'm by no means a Mitsu nutswinger, but I don't particularly think of myself as a Subie nutswinger. Both brands have potential to be great cars!!
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

"Plus, I don't think the Mitsu trannies are any more prone to breaking, than say, a 5-spd subaru tranny!"

Yeah, but everything else connected to the tranny brakes. Whats the difference?
91White-T
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 91White-T »

ciper wrote:Yeah, but everything else connected to the tranny brakes. Whats the difference?
It's mostly from being beaten on. Ever seen the aricle in Hot Rod about the ~1000hp street driven Talon that ran 8.xx@166? Pretty damn cool!
98 Ford Contour V6 24V 5MT
98 Chevy Camaro Z28 LS1 6MT
91 Rio Red SS 5MT Sold
91 Flat Black Wagon L+ 4EAT RIP
91 Pearl White SS 4EAT RIP
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Not from beaten on. Its the exact same as the subaru transmissions. Unless you drive it VERY well you will brake something.
In a subaru its gear teeth usually
In the Mitsu its half axles.
scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by scottzg »

mitsu began its life in the us as a decent car (there's a lot of really horrible 80's cars.) and has been going downhill since. starion>1g>2g>what-the-hell is-that-thing?

3000gt's are a nightmare. Their sedans...who cares? nobody buys them.

Their fwd tranny is a POS, the handles fall off, they stick all the belts where they're impossible to reach, they combine mutually harmful technologies. All the starion people rebuild at 100k. I'm convinced they survive by virtue of the fact they're japanese.

VW, Mitsu, and Chrysler; these are the axles of evil.

Oh, and i'm in a position to know, see the sig.
[url=http://www.thawa.net/gallery/albums/album108/DSCF0330.jpg]90 legacy of awesomeness[/url]
91White-T
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 91White-T »

I dunno, I've always kinda liked the early 1g DSMs (90-92 with the pop up lights), just something about em...
91 Rio Red SS 5MT Sold
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

My friend bought a 91 Eagle Talon TSI (AWD Turbo) in 2000, and drove it maybe 10,000 miles in the meantime. Between having to replace the clutch, transfer case, valve stem seals and a multitude of problems with the timing belt, it's been pretty much useless. It sits at a mechanic's shop while he drives his new, used Protege.
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
NuwanD
Second Gear

Post by NuwanD »

my friend has a newer gs-t convertible, something went wrong with a balancing shaft which affected a sensor which threw the cam timing off causing the valves to touch the pistons...yada yada yada... he had to rebuild the entire top half of the engine soon after getting the car.

I'm not saying me-so-bitchy cars are crap or anything but they tend to have too much technology for my liking, just more things that can go wrong. You can never really substitute a mechanical component/system with an electronic one and expect to get away with it
Nuwan
1992 Open Class Legacy Turbo
2004 Forester XT
2000 Impreza 2.5RSC (Supercharged)
1990 Rover Mini 1000
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

this is funny because one of my good friends had a 91 eclipse. It was down at least once a week. When he finally had it running well it lasted about a month before something popped up. I never really payed attention to what the problems were though. But it was more surprising to see him driving then car than not.

I'd still take a galant vr4 though
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
FrmRgz2Rchz
First Gear

Post by FrmRgz2Rchz »

I got my first taste of boost in a Galant VR-4. My cousin has one and I had to have a turbo'd car after I rode in it. I had a Legacy L at the time, and like that car, so I figured I'd track me down a Sport Sedan.

DSM's are easy to make fast, but you better be a mechanic if you own one. My cousin is a mechanic and breaks his tranny atleast once a year. He puts down about 300 to the wheels.
Andy Rose
1993 Subaru Legacy Sport Sedan
2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STI
1999 Hyundai Accent
91White-T
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 91White-T »

NuwanD wrote:my friend has a newer gs-t convertible, something went wrong with a balancing shaft which affected a sensor which threw the cam timing off causing the valves to touch the pistons...yada yada yada... he had to rebuild the entire top half of the engine soon after getting the car.
Ahhh.. the infamous 2g DSM crankwalk has made an appereance...lol
91 Rio Red SS 5MT Sold
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

boostjunkie wrote:Plus, I don't think the Mitsu trannies are any more prone to breaking, than say, a 5-spd subaru tranny! LOL! GLASS!
Meh, just going from the experiences of friends. Old boss bought a Talon TSi brand new back in 94 (I think). Within 30k, it was leaking oil all over the place, and at 35k the tranny died. He's had a few cars since then, and now drives a Legacy outback wagon.

Another friend blew his tranny up in Maine bone stock.

Preventative maintainence all taken care of though, it would be a beast and a half. Pretty sick cars, I was actually thinking of one, but the Subaru appealed to me much more.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]