Replacing fuel filter 94 Legac-how to relieve fuel pressure?

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Dave G
First Gear

Replacing fuel filter 94 Legac-how to relieve fuel pressure?

Post by Dave G »

My manual says to pull the access cover under the rear seat and unplug the fuel pump, then run the engine until it dies. Is there an easier way to kill power to the fuel pump?
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

It's actually pretty easy to get to that connector... Three bolts hold the rear seat bottom in, and then something like three or four screws hold the access cover on.

I've always done it that way, but another option that should work is unplugging the fuel pump relay under the dash. That is a huge pain to reach but if you know where it is you can do it. You kind of sit on the ground outside the driver's door facing away from the car, and reach in with your right arm. Follow the firewall up and to the left and feel for the relays. The ignition relay is brown and rectangular and next to it is the metal cylindrical fuel pump relay with a green connector. If you remove the trim panel above the driver's knees you'll be able to kind of see them with a flashlight.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Call me lazy, but I just pop the gas cap and pinch off the lines.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
morgie
Third Gear

Post by morgie »

I waited about one hour and there were no more pressure.
morgie
'98 4Runner V6 Manual 4x4.
eastbaysubaru
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by eastbaysubaru »

Yup, I too just waited a few hours. It wasn't nearly as messy as I thought it'd be.

-Brian
'04 PSM FXT
czo79
Second Gear

Post by czo79 »

thats weird...on my 91 turbo...I pull up the rear seat...and the elec. connection for my fuel pump is right there under a peice of protectic foam. There isn't any panel I have to pull up. Are others like this?
thanks
micum
Micum
91 Legacy Turbo Sport - 94 JDM EJ20G
97 Legacy 2.5 GT - mod'd
93 Impreza L AWD (sold)
97 Legacy 2.5 GT (deceased)
98 Legacy Outback (sold)
morgie
Third Gear

Post by morgie »

Yup mine is like that... i discovered that connector when my fuel pump decided not to work ..... hehe

morgie
Dave G
First Gear

Post by Dave G »

It turns out that in my 4WD model, the plate is under the carpet just behind the rear seatback. All I had to do was unscrew the bar that holds down the carpet and I could get right at it. But it looks like I'll have to cut the lines off the filter unless somebody knows a trick.
morgie
Third Gear

Post by morgie »

try with some "pliers" (pinces) and a flat-head screw-driver
morgie
paf
First Gear

Post by paf »

on my wagon where the rear passenger side speaker is there is something that seems to be a realay.. I always figured it was for the fuel pump... if thats not it what is it???
1990 FWD Legacy Wagon Base