Stock WRX TD04 turbo on a Legacy Turbo

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

vrg3
Vikash

Stock WRX TD04 turbo on a Legacy Turbo

Post by vrg3 »

mreese sent me these pictures of the TD04 he's running on his Legacy and of that turbo side-by-side with his stock turbo:

http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/~v/pics ... _ej22t.jpg
http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/~v/pics ... _turbo.jpg

He had a friend weld the 90-degree elbow onto the compressor inlet, and he changed the clocking to match the stock Legacy turbo (apparently it didn't cause any interference with oil or coolant lines).
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
Dizzy
First Gear

Post by Dizzy »

Cool. Thanks for the pics. That answers my question regarding that mounting bracket for the wastegate actuator.

I've been contemplating doing the TD04L swap and putting together custom piping for the inlet.
2004 STi
1993 Touring Wagon
mTk
no title

Post by mTk »

Looks kinda like JB weld :wink:

MK
1992 BC672 AWD 5MT
legacyjones
In Neutral

Post by legacyjones »

My buddy just put a vf22 on his 22t. It's in his imprez.
What up vrg3 didn't know you where over here.

Jason
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Hey Jason, yup, this is where I hang out.

Is your buddy using mostly stock EJ22T intake parts? Did he also just weld on an elbow and clock the turbo?
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

I'd like to know this as well.

Also, I haven't checked, but does anyone know whether a makeshift intake tube (or even a wrx piece) will fit under our manifold?
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

looks alot like my vf34, only I think the compressor housing is even larger on mine because that elbow shown here would never fit on mine (it would hit the intake manifold)

-Mike
-Mike

2011 Infiniti G37x Sedan - Current
2007 Ducati 800ss - Current
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (White)
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (Silver)
2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

In the first picture you can see that this elbow either also touches the intake manifold or gets very close.
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

i got the same turbo tdo4L is it worth my time to put that turbo on my legacy. does it make the car faster? that elbow looks ok but why didnt you use a rubber sparco elbow?
1993 Subaru Legacy 44B STi 4Cam 16Valve Turbo Intercooled AWD
EJ22T, STi EJ207 DOHC, Vi-PEC (Spare Autronic) @ 426.20HP / 394.94ft lb @ 00psi
Tuned By: Franz Diebold ( DIEBOLD AUTOSPORT ) @ NVauto
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

mreese is the one to ask, not me.

In this other thread he said he felt it was an improvement over the stock turbo:

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=15215

Welding on that elbow allowed him to use the stock intake setup.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

dirtyhandssubaru555 asked a question about the reclocking in another thread, but I think it makes sense to talk about it here.

Reclocking the TD04's compressor housing is pretty easy. If I remember right (this was many years ago now):

You remove the wastegate actuator. Then you use a pair of snap-ring pliers to remove the snap ring that holds the compressor housing on. Then you pull the housing straight off, being careful not to damage the compressor wheel. Then you have to grind off a little tiny dowel that normally makes sure the turbo is clocked correctly, and then you can put the housing back on at any angle you choose, securing it with the snap ring.

If you examine the turbo this will all make sense.
dirtyhandssubaru555
First Gear

Post by dirtyhandssubaru555 »

yeah that makes since. i was going to go play around with it and see if thats all it took.
my girlfriend finaly found out that i spent more money and time on my car then her. she was kind pist to say the least.
92ss, tdo4, wrx stage 1 clutch and 9.5 pound flywheel, sti springs, k&n panel filter, desnorkus
86 gl hatchback rip
87 gl10 rip
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Post if you have trouble. The one thing I'll recommend is to use good snap-ring pliers of the appropriate size, and wear eye protection; there's a lot of potential energy in that ring!
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Pics of the final results? Why would one need to clock a td04?
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
dirtyhandssubaru555
First Gear

ill try to get pics but i'm haveing a hard time with batteries in my digi cam. yeah the snap ring was a PITA, i had to have my friend that is a deisl mech bring over some snap ring plie. why clock a td04? cause the compressor outlet sits right on top of you pcv valve so you cant hook up the rest of your intake and resiric valve
my girlfriend finaly found out that i spent more money and time on my car then her. she was kind pist to say the least.
92ss, tdo4, wrx stage 1 clutch and 9.5 pound flywheel, sti springs, k&n panel filter, desnorkus
86 gl hatchback rip
87 gl10 rip
dirtyhandssubaru555
First Gear

i think that a ruber 90 degree hose is not the way to go. if you can get an elbow welded on it would be much better. im running in to fitting issues and i don't like cutting up a 30 some dollar hose either
86 gl hatchback rip
87 gl10 rip
dirtyhandssubaru555
First Gear

i'm going to try to do a right up on this with pics, im takeing notes, parts list and what not. i plan on useing almost all of the stock intake. so far i've got my 90 degree elbow fitted, got my oil lines bent and fitted along with my coolant lines cut apart and with little bending of the lower line. wast gate acutor remounted
86 gl hatchback rip
87 gl10 rip
dirtyhandssubaru555
First Gear

heres what i got so far. almost there Image
86 gl hatchback rip
87 gl10 rip
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Thanks for the picture.

I think the issue with the silicone elbow is that it sticks out too far. It looks to me like mreese cut off the little lip (that the hose is meant to slip over) so the elbow could be attached closer.

Pretty blue on the turbine housing...

Your next challenge will be dealing with the fact that the compressor outlet is larger in diameter than the stock turbo's. One possible approach might be to stick the stock compressor-to-throttle pipe inside the compressor outlet, and then put a silicone coupler over the outside of both of them. Or is that ridiculous?
dirtyhandssubaru555
First Gear

heres what i did to over come that problem(second pic), it needs to be worked out a little but i think it will do for a week or so tell i find something or can afford a tmic. i'll get some pics of the intake tube so you can see how much i cut off. i should just through up a ling to my photorbucket Image Image
86 gl hatchback rip
87 gl10 rip
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Cool, just make sure you can get it to stay in place even when it's pressurized.

Why do you have a hose coupler at the throttle body?
dirtyhandssubaru555
First Gear

cause i needed a couple of inches to work. the intake tube didn't want to matck up to the tb. heres the ling to my photorbucket http://s242.photobucket.com/albums/ff86 ... yturbo555/
86 gl hatchback rip
87 gl10 rip
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Ah, I see.

Good luck; I'm curious to hear how well this stuff holds up to pressure. Are you planning on running wastegate boost?
dirtyhandssubaru555
First Gear

i would like to run boost. is there any thing that that i have to do to run boost? or just hook up my old vacuum hoses?
86 gl hatchback rip
87 gl10 rip
Arctic Assassian
Third Gear

Post by Arctic Assassian »

The easiest way to run wastegate boost is to hook one vacuum line from the pressure side of the turbo, to the nipple on the wastegate actuator.
Kickin' it old-school.