Where's the best place to mount an amp and subs?

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

syphon
First Gear

Where's the best place to mount an amp and subs?

Post by syphon »

I had an idea... to mount and amp underneath the backseat.

I was looking at the floorboard however, and began to worry that the seat sits directly on the floor. I dont think there's room for anything down there.

Where do you guys think the best place to mount my amp and subs are? I was considering underneath the drivers seat for the amp, but the subs might have to go in the trunk.

For subs, I just have 2 8" subs mounted in small truck boxes.
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

What are you trying to accomplish? Not using any real space?

There's a few ideas.

Amp under the passenger seat (I would never put the amp under the drivers seat. The heat alone would piss me off.

So, amp under passenger seat.

Now. How much do you like having a pass-through trunk? Building a custom box facing the rear seats would be rather thin (because they obviously don't require a lot of air space).

You could build custom boxes for the rear of the trunk behind the wheel wells, although that wouldn't be to great for imaging.

You could do what I did in my 95 and bolt the amp to the rear seat and have the sub in the trunk (15").
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
syphon
First Gear

Post by syphon »

I think that's what will happen eventually.

Amp underneath the seat (passenger seat since you bring up a good point).

Then my existing 8" subs in their existing boxes in the trunk.

I was thinking if I could mount them under the back seat, it would be totally stealth (and a pain in the ass to get to, so thieves would be disinclined to try it).

I've had stuff stolen out of the trunk before (different car), probably because its insanely easy to get to from in the car.
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

not really, it's only two 10/12/14mm bolts(cant remember the exact spec) If anything you'd not want them to be so easily accesible.
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
syphon
First Gear

Post by syphon »

Getting them out of the trunk is MUCH easier than removing the rear seat.

Thats how my stuff was stolen from the last car... pop down the back seat and pulled the stuff through the front.
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

If someone wants to steal it, they will. Simple as that.

Under the rear seats is a terrible place to put things. Why? Because A, you'll need a custom box. B, when people sit down, it changes the air space slightly and will sound like crap.

Put one box at each corner of the trunk (facing the opening), and bolt them to the false-floor.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

I don't see it being any easier, quicker maybe but that depends on how fast you are with a ratchet. MOunting under would still be worse cause they could and probably would take off with your seat! But yes it would be much more inconspicuous(sp?)

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

What are you people talking about? Listen to me, forget under the rear seat. IT WILL NOT FIT END OF STORY! jesus, the same thing pondered over and over and over. damn, if you put the seat down and the bottom of the whole seat is in contact with the whole floor where is the possibility that something will fit in there? I'm sorry to be such a bastard but hey, heres my suggestion...

1. mount the amp WHERE EVER it fits, hows that for an idea?
2. throw the boxes in the trunk.
3. oh wait there is no 3 because you are done already
-Mike

2011 Infiniti G37x Sedan - Current
2007 Ducati 800ss - Current
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (White)
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (Silver)
2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
QuickDrive
Lurker-King

Post by QuickDrive »

I"ve been considering fabricating something to mount my two amps upside down on the rear deck where the speakers are... I might build something right side up if I get creative, and the box/subs will just sit in the tunk.
R I P-------- 91 Turbo 4EAT --------R I P
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

under front seats or in the trunk.....and be done with it. I've got an amp under driver's seat and eq under pass seat.....no heat issues. Sub is in trunk. As for the rear decklid....there's really not a lot of room and you have the cross bars to tend with that hold the trunk up. Other option is to fabricate something to mount them to on the back side of the rear seat. If you have fold down....it's a little more difficult
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
QuickDrive
Lurker-King

Post by QuickDrive »

Well i have winters to deal with, and under the front seats is not an option for me.

I know there isn't much room under the deck lid, but 2 amps on top each other probably will be the way I go.

I'll think of something once I get in there for measurements and such.
R I P-------- 91 Turbo 4EAT --------R I P
LaureltheQueen
Spelling Nazi
Spelling Nazi

Post by LaureltheQueen »

I'll probably throw my amp under the passenger seat, if i cant find a better place to put it, and have a box custom made to sit in the nook between my back seat and floor for the sub(i have a wagon) Then all i need is a cargo cover, which i've got plans for already.
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

I've been wanting to get a Sub box for awhile but I put my rear seats down and use the wholeback of the car fairly often.

I like to drive hard so I would need to bolt down my box but I want to have easy access to using the whole rear of car without having to take the box out.

I was thinking about getting that "Bazooka" box that has the triangler woofer. IIRC it's like a 150-200 watt. Has anyone heard anything about them, good or bad? I don't know if it'd be hard to bolt in the trunk or not.
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
LaureltheQueen
Spelling Nazi
Spelling Nazi

Post by LaureltheQueen »

haha. you should just get the fake NOS bottle. :cool:
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

legacy92ej22t wrote:I was thinking about getting that "Bazooka" box that has the triangler woofer. IIRC it's like a 150-200 watt. Has anyone heard anything about them, good or bad? I don't know if it'd be hard to bolt in the trunk or not.
Had one. While loud, it was HUGE (i.e. takes up more space than my 15 does). The quality wasn't that great either, again, the 15 sounds better. Don't waste the time or money.

legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

BAC5.2 wrote:
legacy92ej22t wrote:I was thinking about getting that "Bazooka" box that has the triangler woofer. IIRC it's like a 150-200 watt. Has anyone heard anything about them, good or bad? I don't know if it'd be hard to bolt in the trunk or not.
Had one. While loud, it was HUGE (i.e. takes up more space than my 15 does). The quality wasn't that great either, again, the 15 sounds better. Don't waste the time or money.
Really? Cool, thanks for the heads up.

I could live with a pair of Nakamichi 8" subs. I don't think they make them anymore though. My friend had a pair and they hit real hard, had good sustain (for 8") and didn't take up much room at all.
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

I'd be sketchy running 8" subs for anything beyond SUPER quiet bass. For the money to get a QUALITY 8" sub, you can get a really nice 10"

10's don't take up much space if you get creative.

If you can spare it (no pun intended), build a custom box into the spare tire well. Completely out of the way and doesn't take up any usable space. A low volume 10 will fit perfectly :).

magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

I had my own custom fiberglass pod ans subwoofer enclosure business for a while but it never really took off. if enough of you are interested I can make some custom boxes for you. I'll get some photos of stuff for you.
-Mike

2011 Infiniti G37x Sedan - Current
2007 Ducati 800ss - Current
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (White)
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (Silver)
2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
syphon
First Gear

Post by syphon »

magicmike wrote:What are you people talking about? Listen to me, forget under the rear seat. IT WILL NOT FIT END OF STORY!
Thank you. This is all I was goin for. I didn't care about ease of access, or sound quality, but just wanted to know if it was possible.

I've seen considerable discussion on a Stock WRX sub. Where do they mount? under the passenger seat?
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

If you want a no fuss installation, like the bazooka tubes, I'd suggest the infinity basslink. I had (with amplifier continuous wattage listed in parentheses) an 8" bazooka, 10" bazooka (80watt), 10" Orion Cobalt bandpass (200watt), Two JBL 10" tubes (200watt), 12" Orion XTR bandpass (400watt), 2 JL 12W4D4s in a sealed box (600watt), and a basslink (200watt) in one of the three cars I've owned at some point in time.

The basslink outperformed all tube-style subs.

The Orion bandpasses were loud, but only in a certain frequency range.

The twin JLs were INCREDIBLY loud and had very good extension!!

Oh, and the stock subaru "sub?" Don't get it . . . it does mount under the seat but you might as well put another 6.5" speaker in the doors because that's what it sounds like.

The best place for response and extension would be with the subs facing rear-ward, towards the trunklid, or corner-loading them. In the trunk, not in the passenger compartment. And before someone throws in some infinite baffle or aperiodic enclosures . . . I still have yet to find one of those setups that outperforms sealed or ported/passive radiated enclosure.
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
91White-T
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 91White-T »

LaureltheQueen wrote:haha. you should just get the fake NOS bottle. :cool:
Some dumbass around here has one in a old jeep cherokee, also has the nos sticker and claims it did 150mph and has a v-4...
98 Ford Contour V6 24V 5MT
98 Chevy Camaro Z28 LS1 6MT
91 Rio Red SS 5MT Sold
91 Flat Black Wagon L+ 4EAT RIP
91 Pearl White SS 4EAT RIP
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Well, the XJ's don't have speed limiters, and the 4.0 I-6 could probably get them pretty close to 150mph with the AW4, but I wouldn't want to go that fast inside a giant brick.

There was a guy with an Acura or something around here. Big blue tank for everyone to see. To bad it was a Bass tube and not nitrous.

Pacman
In Neutral

Sub and amps location

Post by Pacman »

I placed mounted my amp in the back into a approx 50l-lb peice of wood ( cut to fit snug in the trunk) then took out my spare tire and cut a hole in the carpet and wood for my 15 jl. I have less low bass capabilities due to it is not a custom box like i used to have, but now i have alot of trunk space. And as for theft you could use some hex srews or something instead of a + end on the screws. No one can see what i have nor how it is arranged and if anyone wants it bad enough no matter what setup you have they will either mess it up or get it just the way it is nowadays. The only prob since i figure some might mention is no spare tire so i carry a plug in air compressor and i just do not like the idea of having a stock spare with 16's rims prob hurt the all wheel drive. My plan is to get another 16 same type i have and mount it over the sub via clamps or tie downs of some sort.
Paul
2004 AWD 6-spd STI- Mine
1990 AWD 5 spd Legacy L SDN- Mine
1992 AWD SVX- Brother
1992 AWD SVX- Dad
2003 AWD Legacy H-6 Outback SDN- Mom
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

magicmike wrote:I had my own custom fiberglass pod ans subwoofer enclosure business for a while but it never really took off. if enough of you are interested I can make some custom boxes for you. I'll get some photos of stuff for you.
pleaswe do, how close to getting to someone's specs were you?

evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

I took out the spare and carry fix-a-flat. Some cars come from the factory like this now. I just have the well empty to save weight, though.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.