Why did you remove the chimney?

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Why did you remove the chimney?

Post by ciper »

I see no benefit to removing it.

One surprising thing is that aftermarket units exist for the WRX! So the guys who have one take it off, and the guys who dont add it :roll:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... did=504564
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

That's weird... I wouldn't think the chimney would help much without a hood scoop designed to direct air into it. The stock WRX heat shield seems like it would be sufficient.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
NuwanD
Second Gear

Post by NuwanD »

the problem with not having the chimeny on the wrx is that when you park the car the hot air off the turbo rises and escapes through the hood scoop. It must travel through the intercooler to get to the hoodscoop which ends up heat soaking the TMIC. Our chimneys are great but we never got the i/c to go with it. Some of the early wrx motors had both however.

My stock chimney doesn't fit in since i put in the TMIC, but i'll weld up a new one once i pick up a welder.
Nuwan
1992 Open Class Legacy Turbo
2004 Forester XT
2000 Impreza 2.5RSC (Supercharged)
1990 Rover Mini 1000
rsstiboy
Second Gear

Post by rsstiboy »

also the extra temperature the turbo created in the engine bay is no good for your electricals and rubber hoses etc...... over time you'll get problems, if you don't have the chimney put a wrap on your exhaust housing on your turbo
MY02 B4 Liberty, 2 1/2" off the primary with splitter, 3" off the secondary, 3" the rest of the way, completely stainless, k&n filter, ECUtek 3, 500HP walbro, 173kw@all4
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

rsstiboy wrote:also the extra temperature the turbo created in the engine bay is no good for your electricals and rubber hoses etc...... over time you'll get problems
I'll agree with this statement!! I guess it's because of the chimney . . . although I don't know whether it was taken off by the second owner, somewhere around 160,000miles.
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

But, boostjunkie, if I remember right you do still have the heat shield around your turbo...
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
morgie
Third Gear

Post by morgie »

i realised that, the main wire harness comes pretty close to the turbo.. if you remove the turbo and dont pay attention to that, and dont secure it like i did, you may end up with melted wires ;)

why i removed it ? donno... was to lasy to put it back on, give me more place to play with the engine :)
morgie
'98 4Runner V6 Manual 4x4.
Matt Monson
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by Matt Monson »

I removed mine because when I had the PDM divorced wastegate DP on there, it wouldn't fit over it. :cry: When I sold the car and returned it to stock, I was too lazy to put it back on. If anyone needs one, I have it in my garage...
1974 Porsche 914 Cam Am Limted Edition AKA the Bumble Bee
1973 Porsche 914 2.0 l -Suby swap pending
1968 Porsche 911t survivor 47k original miles
2000 2.5RS daily driver.
1999 2.5RS w/ 50+ extra whp
Suby Hai!
aspect
First Gear

Post by aspect »

I just put pliable silver heatshielding stuff over the cables and whatnot surrounding the turbo. I also removed the chimney to install a better dp...
MY92
Second Gear

Post by MY92 »

I've fitted the late model wrx heat shield to my car as the chimney did naff all even with the hood scoop and deflector to direct air to it.

In summer I take the deflector off the bonnet completely, but in winter I've just put it back on as loads of water gets through.

Then again the Legacy bonnet scoop really does do naff all doesn't it.
John

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/560635
rsstiboy
Second Gear

Post by rsstiboy »

MY92 wrote:I've fitted the late model wrx heat shield to my car as the chimney did naff all even with the hood scoop and deflector to direct air to it.

In summer I take the deflector off the bonnet completely, but in winter I've just put it back on as loads of water gets through.

Then again the Legacy bonnet scoop really does do naff all doesn't it.
yes john, it does sfa (sweet f#$k all) great for top mounted interheaters
MY02 B4 Liberty, 2 1/2" off the primary with splitter, 3" off the secondary, 3" the rest of the way, completely stainless, k&n filter, ECUtek 3, 500HP walbro, 173kw@all4
mTk
no title

Post by mTk »

For THAWA:

Yes i removed the chimney, I don't have a turbo hood, that was part of the reason.

So far i haven't noticed any problems w/ underhood heat.

MK
Last edited by mTk on Tue Apr 13, 2004 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1992 BC672 AWD 5MT
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

hehe, thanks that's just what I wanted to hear :)
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
Kelly
Fourth Gear

Post by Kelly »

I pulled off my chimney, breifly, to do some exhaust work. It got thrown in the metal pile at Rallitek, which grows daily, and got burried.

I really need to dig through there and find it. :cry:
omahasubaru
First Gear

Post by omahasubaru »

NuwanD wrote:the problem with not having the chimeny on the wrx is that when you park the car the hot air off the turbo rises and escapes through the hood scoop. It must travel through the intercooler to get to the hoodscoop which ends up heat soaking the TMIC.
This isn't entirely true. The WRX does have a cross hatch like opening in our scoop shroud right over the turbo for both letting air in and air out. The chimney would help force more air in and the hot air out... but I don't see hot turbo air actually going through the I/C to get out... that would mean the hot air would somehow have to go under the I/C and then back up through it. Sure some may go that route, but not much. The hot turbo expelled air will go against that side of I/C causing it to get rather warm however. It would be much much worse if there were no heat sheild at all on the turbo.
The air is more likely to take the path of less resistance and with the scoop shroud almost sealed on the I/C, it isn't likely to choose that route.

An I/C sprayer can help remidy this problem in short order. I like that chimney stack! Maybe once this autocross season is over, I may pick one up and do some temp comparisions on my friends WRX which I put together a nice (and over built actually) I/C sprayer set-up.

I agree with you guys about not removing it!
Matt Monson
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by Matt Monson »

I got a chance to see one of these monkey units on a car last weekend at Flat4's car show. It is very nicely done and when properly finished on the hood side creates a seal totally divorcing the turbo's air from the intercooler making the debate above a totally mute point...
1974 Porsche 914 Cam Am Limted Edition AKA the Bumble Bee
1973 Porsche 914 2.0 l -Suby swap pending
1968 Porsche 911t survivor 47k original miles
2000 2.5RS daily driver.
1999 2.5RS w/ 50+ extra whp
Suby Hai!
Legacytuner
First Gear

chimney

Post by Legacytuner »

I have a spair if any one wants it
i also have the underside of the scoop that mates with the chimney

pm me if interested
Proud owner of a 1991 Silver 5MT
Gold wrx wheels,Straight Exhaust, DNA Boost Controler 12 Psi, Ngk's, De-Snorked, Carbon fiber hood scoop in the werks
1991 White 5MT(Sold to Friend), AKA BINFORD

"KEEP IT REAL, KEEP IT SUBARU"
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

wait... so are we talking about, when adding a TMIC, cutting the chimney short and leave it under the intercooler itself? I can see how that would heat up the IC when the car is not moving. Or are we talking about somehow having the hood scoop feed both the IC fins as well as the full chimney in its stock location? Is there enough hood scoop area to accomplish this with a Saab 900 unit?

Whos got pictures? :D
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
91SS 5MT awaiting engine rebuild and VF36...
92SS 4EAT - RIP :(
94SS 5MT4.11+rLSD 289k km: RobTune550,TD05-16g @ 18psi,FMIC,3"TBE,Forester lift
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

well since hot air rises, and a turbo is hot. If it was sitting under the chimeny which was under the intercooler it would heat it up. The chimny is two part, it flows cool air over the turbo when moving, and vents hot air when stationary
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

......right. Thats why I asked if you guys were talking about cutting the chimney short and putting it under the IC because that would heat it up when the car is sitting. If not, then there must be some way to direct the hood scoop over both the chimney and the IC separately, so that when the car is sitting still the turbo heat vents out the hood scoop without going through the intercooler. I must have not asked that question right or something...?
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Maybe it coulf be fabbed to dump between te hood and windshield. Some of the weatherstripping would have to be removed. It would also probably cool even better at speed. However I don't know what long term localized heat would do to the windshield. I don't know how hot it would actually be.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

hmm... thats an idea. Cowl induction uses that sort of airflow setup. That would allow the IC to use the scoop, while the turbo would still get cooled from the air currents around the windshield. I agree though I wonder if that kind of heat would do something to the windshield or its seals - they werent meant to see turbo temperatures...

How about altering an STI scoop/bonnet to direct most of its flow over the IC and then a small seperate portion of its flow to the chimney? A divider in the scoop and an additional opening might accomplish this. Of course I havent gotten that far yet, just throwing ideas out there.
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock