intercooler piping

Front, Top, Air, Water.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

teaguespeed
First Gear

intercooler piping

Post by teaguespeed »

Ok, so i just got a job at a machine shop, and my boss is gonna help me fab some pipes for my a/w ic, specifically from the turbo to the ic. He seems to think that i need to design the pipe with audio resonances and stuff in mind. As an example he explained to me how an "expansion chamber" (think thats what it was called) works on the exhaust of a 2 cycle engine. I don't think that this would matter that much, and i neither have the engineering experience nor the resources to create an extremely precise pipe if i could even design it. I just thought it was about optimizing the flow of air and having as suttle of curves as possible. If possible could i get some pics of the pipes that you guys have made to get to your intercoolers? So here ya go guys, get as technical as ya want.
Thanks, Teague
'99 Impreza L 2.2 powa!

"If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style."
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

I will try my hardest to find a site I read once. It was a PDF created by a consortium of engineres from auto manufacturers showing the benefits.

They basically showed that even on a carburated engine a simple square box attached to the intake any place between the cylinder head and throttle plate will be effective to some extent.
FG!!
Second Gear

Post by FG!! »

It's important on two strokes because exhaust gas scavaging is much more a factor in how much power it makes.

The pulses after the turbo are super high frequency, so an expansion chamber after the turbo would have to be really really really small. In other words, don't worry about it.
92ss, 66bsa thunderbolt, 92miata, 06wrx
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Here is a good start.

http://www.users.bigpond.com/pgscott/re ... nator.html
The magazine wanted to try some dyno testing for itself and see if they got the same results as the Society of Automotive Engineers paper. The test car used in the test was a 1500 cc 4 cylinder 12 valve engine with a standard 710 cc inlet resonator (The 1UZ-FE is a 4 litre 32 valve engine with a 1200 cc resonator).

Complete removal of the resonator saw a steady loss of power throughout the rev range of 4kW (7% loss!! peak power was 55kW). 5 resonators were tested, 245cc, 600cc, 710cc, 950cc and a 5000cc coolant bottle. 30 dyno runs showed a trend of small resonators best for high rpm power and large resonators good for low down torque with no straight line relationships between the different sizes. (our 1200cc resonator would look to be designed for low down torque, common for large heavy automatic cars).

The best compromise was the 950cc resonator which gave an increase of 4kW at 3000 rpm over the stock resonator (13 % increase at 3000 rpm!).

So overall the intake resonator is a good thing!

Here is some great tech info http://www.grapeaperacing.com/GrapeApeR ... mholtz.cfm
FG!!
Second Gear

Post by FG!! »

From your own article
The resonator acts as an extra reserve of air to fill the cylinder with more air. Only applies to naturally aspirated engines - so if you turbo or supercharge the engine then you may as well get rid of it.
These articles are talking about fluid dynamics. The turbo shifts everything to the steady state side of things, as the flow velocity doesn't change much. Plus you always have positive pressure on the back of the valve, which is what your shooting for when tune runner length, plenum volume, and so forth.
92ss, 66bsa thunderbolt, 92miata, 06wrx
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Hey, your not supposed to prove me wrong with my own article :lol:

Ill post another great article. Basically it says you want the exhaust piping between the heads and the turbo to be as small as possible (for your max flow) in order to increase air velocity and reduce turbo spool up time.