Strange chirping noise behind centre dash????

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

philhustler
In Neutral

Strange chirping noise behind centre dash????

Post by philhustler »

I have noticed (when i turn the system down) a bizzare chirping squelching type of noise which appears to be coming from directly behind the stereo unit. Its a 92 Legacy wagon.

It sound like water getting forced through a small pipe or something. Airconditioning?

There is no leaks or damage being caused as far as i can tell it has been going on for about 5 months. All the electrics and air con work fine, i just cant figure it out.

Let me know if youve heard something similar.
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

The most common behind dash noises are bad speedo cable connections and coolant that needs burped/filled.
If that helps any.
QuickDrive
Lurker-King

Post by QuickDrive »

I hear a strange chirping behind my dash too,
when I'm whomping the gas pedal and leaving civics in my dust, hahaah
R I P-------- 91 Turbo 4EAT --------R I P
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Mine makes an odd chirp on occasion also. Mine has something to do with the vent position control. It doesn't cause a problem so I leave it alone.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
WhiteLegTurbo
In Neutral

Post by WhiteLegTurbo »

evolutionmovement wrote:Mine makes an odd chirp on occasion also. Mine has something to do with the vent position control. It doesn't cause a problem so I leave it alone.

Steve
i have the same chirping noise and it ocassionally stops but i noticed that when its not stopped my vents dont work nearly as well as they would when its stopped.
1994 Subaru Legacy 2.2 turbocharged AWD
luckylouie
In Neutral

Post by luckylouie »

I had a similar problem on another car (89 Toyota PU 4x4).
It turned out to be the speedometer cable.
The noise was more noticeable on cold weather (the speed needle would wiggle a little).
I filled a syringe with WD40 and injected in the cable from below the dashboard in both directions.
It worked like a charm!

Louie
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

I have a chirp that only happens at ~2300 or so RPM, and under a moderate throttle. I figure it's a heat sheild, which will be fixed with the exhaust install.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]