DIY Hybrid IHI turbos

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Matt Monson
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

DIY Hybrid IHI turbos

Post by Matt Monson »

Ok,
I have had a couple of thought running through my mind recently. I have access to a cheap dead VF-8 turbo. I also have in my possesion a recently serviced VF-29 turbo. I am looking for a way to get more power out of the turbo on my soon to be installed EJ20G w/Vf-10.
So, I am thinking about two things:

1. I can pick up this VF-8 turbo and use it's P18 exhaust housing to up the power on my vf-10. I know that this would be a relatively easy swap over and I shouldn't need to buy any parts to make it work since I have a fully functional VF-10 to work with.

2. Or, and here's the question, can I use the RHB52 compressor housing from my vf-10 and mate it to the p18 housing off of the VF-29 and convert it over to the newer bearing design while I am at it? Any thoughts?
1974 Porsche 914 Cam Am Limted Edition AKA the Bumble Bee
1973 Porsche 914 2.0 l -Suby swap pending
1968 Porsche 911t survivor 47k original miles
2000 2.5RS daily driver.
1999 2.5RS w/ 50+ extra whp
Suby Hai!
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

Have you been able to test fit the vf-29 into the stock location? You might be better off running custom intake for the turbo, if there's enough clearance. Afterall, the turbo's just been serviced, and is probably in better condition than the other vf-series turbos. Don't need to break open a perfectly good turbo if you don't have to (then you'd have to send it off again to be rebalanced, etc).

I'm assuming you have a v2 intercooler? The intercooler hoses should line up. I'm pretty sure the turbo outlets are the same between the years.
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
Matt Monson
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by Matt Monson »

I haven't test fit the VF-29, but I have the whole stock intake assembly and am looking to do this build for the least $$$ possible. It is a '93 EJ20G out of a Legacy GT, so it has the good old 90 degree inlet that I was trying to work with. As for the intercooler, it is the stock AWIC unit...
2000 2.5RS daily driver.
Suby Hai!
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

How much does it cost to send off an balance a turbo? $100? I'm sure a custom DIY intake (you'd only be swapping out the rubber turbo outlet) would be considerably less. I'd see if you can find any radiator hoses that would work first before taking apart the turbo. That's just my 2 cents.
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

Oh, I see. I've never been able to see an AWIC up close.

Matt Monson
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by Matt Monson »

It's not that simple on an engine fitted with the factory AWIC. The BOV runs right from the base of the line between the turbo and AWIC over to dump right into the inlet stream of the turbo. It is not a simple rubber elbow like on the USDM Legacies. It is a bit of an octopus that has several lines feeding into the elbow, like the vents off the heads, in addition to the BOV. I'll get some pics up manana when my gurl gets back in town. Modifiying the inlet is not an option. That is why I want to use the stock compressor. If I can't get away without sending the rebuilt turbo out for rebalancing (which is easy to do locally since the Co. that made Marc Rameriz's turbo is 25 miles away in Golden) then I am going to have to pass on the mod all together. Why must I get it balanced? :?:
2000 2.5RS daily driver.
Suby Hai!
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

The USDM compressor inlet elbow is, I think, the same as the JDM/UKDM/ADM one. It has three fittings on it -- two for PCV and one for the blowoff valve. Look at the PCV diagram on this page:

http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/~v/vacuum/

If you were making your own intake tubing, you could put all three of those fittings a little further upstream. Like maybe do the coffee mug mod but add these three fittings to it. The blowoff valve line is 19mm, so 3/4" ought to do there. The PCV lines are 12mm, so 1/2" should work for those.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
Matt Monson
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by Matt Monson »

I pulled up an old picture I have of my Legacy's engine bay, and the elbow is definitely different, though you are correct that those lines do all feed into the USDM elbow as well. But ultimately, this does not change the fact that I am not going to the time or effort to make a new elbow. If rebuilding the turbo is unfeasible, then I am not going to do it at all. That is what this topic is about, not intake mods. :x I still haven't heard why I need to re-balance the turbo after rebuilding it. Can someone please help me understand what I really want to know?
2000 2.5RS daily driver.
Suby Hai!
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

Whenever the turbo is disassembled it has to be REBALANCED. An unbalanced turbo spinning at 10,000 or more rpm will not last too long.

vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

More like 100,000 rpm...

But I've heard of many people doing turbo rebuilds or building hybrid turbos in their garage and then dropping them right into their cars. I don't know how long they lasted, but I don't remember hearing of any spectacular failures.

What spinning part of the turbo wouldn't already be balanced from the factory? Or, what kind of acceptable damage could cause it to go out of balance? I can't imagine any damage to either wheel being acceptable.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Re: DIY Hybrid IHI turbos

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Matt Monson wrote:
1. I can pick up this VF-8 turbo and use it's P18 exhaust housing to up the power on my vf-10.
Hmm...I must be totally misinformed. I thought the vf8 was the turbo in the GL turbos and 1.8T's. The one with the 4 bolt DP pattern. Is this wrong? I just want to know for future reference.
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

vrg3 wrote:More like 100,000 rpm...

But I've heard of many people doing turbo rebuilds or building hybrid turbos in their garage and then dropping them right into their cars. I don't know how long they lasted, but I don't remember hearing of any spectacular failures.

What spinning part of the turbo wouldn't already be balanced from the factory? Or, what kind of acceptable damage could cause it to go out of balance? I can't imagine any damage to either wheel being acceptable.
I'd rather be safe than sorry. The last thing anyone needs is a turbo falling apart and wasting other parts in the intake and/or exhaust path.

Matt Monson
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Re: DIY Hybrid IHI turbos

Post by Matt Monson »

legacy92ej22t wrote:
Matt Monson wrote:
1. I can pick up this VF-8 turbo and use it's P18 exhaust housing to up the power on my vf-10.
Hmm...I must be totally misinformed. I thought the vf8 was the turbo in the GL turbos and 1.8T's. The one with the 4 bolt DP pattern. Is this wrong? I just want to know for future reference.
I don't know about the GL's, but the VF-8 was the standard turbo on 89-93 JDM Legacy RS's w/ 5spd. It has the same compressor as the VF-10's and VF-11's. but use the bigger P18 Exhaust housing (vs. the P15 on the other two.)

VRG and Boost, thanks for the replies. I thought I had heard of guys taking their chances. And since I know of several cheap junkyard VF-10's the only real risk would be a fouled turbo. I'll have to think on this a bit more as well as seeing what others may have to say over the next few days...
2000 2.5RS daily driver.
Suby Hai!
DOA
First Gear

Post by DOA »

If your only going to do the job to test out the theory first then dont bother balancing the rotor, just be VERY carefull with it. If you plan on only doing it once then get it balanced anyway and have ALL the bits refurbed profesionally on common sense grounds.
If only I hadnt bought the bike, this would feel fast :P
Jaxx
In Neutral

Post by Jaxx »

hmmm .. is that the turbo from flordia??
2005 LGT stage 2 +openECU
1993 Impreza (EJ20KDW6HE+4.44)
Matt Monson
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by Matt Monson »

Jaxx wrote:hmmm .. is that the turbo from flordia??
Why, did he sell it to you? :?:
2000 2.5RS daily driver.
Suby Hai!
-K-
Third Gear

Post by -K- »

I ame one of the garage hybrid guys. I found that every part that spins in the IHI turbo is balanced seperatley. I have to had any problems but you could get it balanced for peace of mind.
02 WRX Sedan, 5mt
93 Sport Sedan, 5mt
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

K! How are things? Are you deployed yet or are you home?
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
-K-
Third Gear

Post by -K- »

I'm in Bagdad. I get on the internet once in a while. I have to see what is up in the subaru world. I'll let you guys and girls now, how I'm doing sometime.
02 WRX Sedan, 5mt
93 Sport Sedan, 5mt