stroker 2.2 kit

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

dbrad
In Neutral

stroker 2.2 kit

Post by dbrad »

Im in the uk and have no idea what this kit is. I have a 91 legacy turbo soon to have a TD05 turbo, HKS FCD, Walbro fuel pump, Knocklink, Dawes Device and Full Jap innovations turbo back exhaust. 91/92 2.2 legacy engines pop up all the time is this what is used in the stroker kit or am I missing the point. What is the benefit of the kit?
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

Nope, I believe the USDM 2.2L turbo engines are bored out as well as stroked. You might want to look into the rod to stroke ratio for both of the conversions before making a decision. I'm biased, however, and know that the USDM blocks can handle a lot of abuse . . . on the other hand, a couple people on this board have found that the head dome doesn't match up completely with the cylinder dimensions of the USDM blocks, which could potentially cause problems.

Sorry, just rambling on with what I know.
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

What is a dawes device?
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

Boost controller.
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
Matt Monson
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by Matt Monson »

A stroker kit for your UK market EJ20 would basically entail putting an EJ25 crank into your existing engine. A couple of US tuners do it for our WRX EJ20's. But unless you are looking to make a ridiculous amount of power, there is not point in going that route.

The EJ22's that you see have a bigger bore and not a longer stroke. Putting an Ej22 crank into your engine wouldn't do anything for you...
1974 Porsche 914 Cam Am Limted Edition AKA the Bumble Bee
1973 Porsche 914 2.0 l -Suby swap pending
1968 Porsche 911t survivor 47k original miles
2000 2.5RS daily driver.
1999 2.5RS w/ 50+ extra whp
Suby Hai!
Matt Monson
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by Matt Monson »

Oh,
one other thing. If you are going to spend money on your engine to improve it get better heads. You have the old style heads and can't rev past 7200 rpm at a maximum. Money better spent would be a nice set of WRX heads for your car...
2000 2.5RS daily driver.
Suby Hai!
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Stroke on EJ20 and EJ22 are the same. Bore and rod length have some changes.
dbrad
In Neutral

wrx heads

Post by dbrad »

Matt I have a complete 1994 260bhp wrx engine with a blown bottom end can I use this on my 91 legacy for heads? Would it be a good idea to port and polish them before I fit them? Will I need a remap after fitting?
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

make sure you port and polish i got it and WOW you can red line in 5 gear go over the speedo km mark and make a shit load of HP it makes a HUGE diffrence its like with intercooller or with out thats how good it is.
1993 Subaru Legacy 44B STi 4Cam 16Valve Turbo Intercooled AWD
EJ22T, STi EJ207 DOHC, Vi-PEC (Spare Autronic) @ 426.20HP / 394.94ft lb @ 00psi
Tuned By: Franz Diebold ( DIEBOLD AUTOSPORT ) @ NVauto
dbrad
In Neutral

Post by dbrad »

Nico did you have to run a different ECU or just get your existing one remapped?
Matt Monson
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by Matt Monson »

Personally,
I don't see much point in porting those heads. The '94-96 WRX heads are some of the best heads Subaru ever produced and they already flow really well. If you ECU is already set up for your current configuration, changing the heads should not require a remapped ECU. The car is smart and will naturally adjust the fuel to compensate for the extra air you will be getting.

But if you wanted to turn up the boost a little bit and move your redline up with the addition of those heads, then a remap would definitely be in order. An ECU upgrade like a Link is always an option, but if I am not mistaken, there are several tuners over there that can do reflashes for you. And that would let you sell off your boost controller and fuel cut defender because the reflash would remap those things for you. The Link would do the same, but it requires wiring in the new ECU...
2000 2.5RS daily driver.
Suby Hai!
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

very good in formation matt.

but dbrad i was thinking that you had a subaru legacy all i did was port polish the head, i did not remap or change the ecu at all. you have a wrx motor. i dont no, what you would have to change or remap, but i still think it will help out for some hp
1993 Subaru Legacy 44B STi 4Cam 16Valve Turbo Intercooled AWD
EJ22T, STi EJ207 DOHC, Vi-PEC (Spare Autronic) @ 426.20HP / 394.94ft lb @ 00psi
Tuned By: Franz Diebold ( DIEBOLD AUTOSPORT ) @ NVauto
DOA
First Gear

Post by DOA »

Hey, you couldnt fill me in on what the knocklink is. Does it replace the existing sensor, modify it or whatever and what does it cost? Also, what are you paying for the exhaust as I cant find any for the legacy here that are what I would consider a reasonable price.
On the stroker business, it may be worth looking at replacing the block of your engine with a 2.2 bottom end and keeping your heads. Personally I dont like the idea of long stroke engines as short stroke engines tend to be better for high revs (note the bike ref in my sig :wink: ).
If only I hadnt bought the bike, this would feel fast :P
dbrad
In Neutral

Exhaust

Post by dbrad »

Hi DOA the exhaust will cost me quite alot, Its £540 for turbo back ss from jap innovations plus fitting. Knocklink is a seperate device loom and sensor with a series of lights from green through amber to red, red indicates detonation i.e back off the throtle and sort it out, more info can be found on scoobynet
TurboLegacy
First Gear

Post by TurboLegacy »

i have the usdm 2.2t. nothing has been done to the engine, i was wondering if porting and polishing my heads would give me any noticeable performance. i wont be driving my car for a while so i will have time to do it myself with a moto tool. is it worth spending the time on?
92 legacy turbo 5spd fwd-12 psi, tm intercooler bov, walbro 255.

81 chevy malibu- 400 sb, holley 600, edelbrock rpm, hooker headers, lunati voodoo cam,4spd muncie, 3:73 posi,monte c. swivel buckets, corvette rally wheels
dbrad
In Neutral

porting

Post by dbrad »

I spoke to the guy that is doing all my servicing and new clutch today, he said I might be better to have the heads 'line bored' as is done on Ford Cosworth turbo heads, does anyone know what this is and if/why it is better than porting and polishing?
Matt Monson
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by Matt Monson »

I am not familiar with the term "line boring", but if you have a set of WRX heads that you can put in your car, don't bother spending that kind of money. Seriously, Subaru OEM parts are top quality and high performance. The heads that you have on their now are outdated and not worth spending a penny on if you have those newer ones sitting around. Don't waste your money.

As for the guy asking about doing it himself? As long as you know what you are doing, you can expect to up the flow and gain 20-30 by doing your own P&P. I just wouldn't ever pay someone to do this unless it was nearly free. You can get complete EJ20 engines for the average cost of a P&P...
2000 2.5RS daily driver.
Suby Hai!
georryan
Fourth Gear

Post by georryan »

Do wrx heads line up well with our engines? What about all the coolant passages and all that? I've heard they normally cause a bunch of problems.

I also remember reading that port and polishing our heads is a good if not the best (and cheapest) idea for our engines as far as headwork goes. Getting wrx heads and 2.5 heads isn't worth the hassle, from what I've read on here.

I'm ready to hear anything new, but that has been the majority of what I've heard on this board. Do wrx heads work fairly easily? Do the 2.0 heads work well on our 2.2 engines?
91 Pearl White Sport Sedan
04 Java Black Pearl Forester XT
2014 Volvo S60 T5
18 KTM 1290 Adventure S

87 Grey GL-10 Sedan (so long old buddy) - donated
97 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - sold
2002 BMW r1150rt-p - sold
2004 BMW r1200ST - sold
2016 BMW r1200RS - sold
georryan
Fourth Gear

Post by georryan »

Nevermind. I didn't realize that guy is from the UK. :oops:
91 Pearl White Sport Sedan
04 Java Black Pearl Forester XT
2014 Volvo S60 T5
18 KTM 1290 Adventure S

87 Grey GL-10 Sedan (so long old buddy) - donated
97 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - sold
2002 BMW r1150rt-p - sold
2004 BMW r1200ST - sold
2016 BMW r1200RS - sold
Matt Monson
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by Matt Monson »

georryan wrote:Nevermind. I didn't realize that guy is from the UK. :oops:
:wink:

And an OT FYI, the set up Axis has been selling is an EJ22t with new higher CR pistons for use with EJ20 heads. I think the idea that EJ22's don't work well with other heads came from Larry Witherspoon's decision to pull out on the SOHC EJ25 heads. But Marc R says that the DOHC EJ25 heads line up fine, as do the EJ20 heads to my understanding. You just need to be sure to use the same intake manifold as heads you are using...
2000 2.5RS daily driver.
Suby Hai!
rsstiboy
Second Gear

Post by rsstiboy »

wrx heads won't just bolt on, unless your changing the pistons, i.e. going for a 2.2 stroker kit on a 2ltr motor (like the topic states) If I were to build a strong 2.2 stroker motor, i would use MY98-99 wrx heads, eagle pistons, cp rods, STi head gaskets, head studs, and use a nice GT30 turbo or even a GT28rs turbo.
MY02 B4 Liberty, 2 1/2" off the primary with splitter, 3" off the secondary, 3" the rest of the way, completely stainless, k&n filter, ECUtek 3, 500HP walbro, 173kw@all4
DOA
First Gear

Post by DOA »

Just out of interest, in what way is porting (the polishing isnt actually all that essential from all ive ever heard) more expensive than a complete engine swap?
Its definately a good idea to port the heads if your looking for extra power on any setup, its just that it is more expensive than just whacking the boost up. If your going to do the job yourself though Id suggest getting a scrap head to practice on first and a good book for guidance. Maybe even talk to someone who knows the engine for guidance on how far to go as well as you dont want to break into any water passages or weaken them too much.
If only I hadnt bought the bike, this would feel fast :P
dbrad
In Neutral

heads

Post by dbrad »

I can get the heads ported and polished for £150 each which I think is a bargain, the head gasket set is the expensive bit at nearly £200 a set.