Steering problem; tightness at tortoise-like speeds ...

Where the power meets the road.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

karlusmagnus
In Neutral

Steering problem; tightness at tortoise-like speeds ...

Post by karlusmagnus »

I have a 92 Sub Legacy wagon (175k miles) and recently the steering wheel is very tight ... I put on new brake pads about 4 weeks ago. Around the same time the steering is noticeably tighter and takes more effort to turn left or right. It does not make noises or anything like that. Does anyone have any idea what it might be? Steering fluid is fine ... Some people have suggested that rack and pinion might be shot? If so what am I faced with in terms of cost .. continuing to drive as is etc... any advice is appreciated ...
It drives fine at higher speeds .. and is really only noticable at 0-25 mph or so ....
Thanks, Karl.
NuwanD
Second Gear

Post by NuwanD »

i'd be thinking something along the lines of the power steering pump or steering rack
Nuwan
1992 Open Class Legacy Turbo
2004 Forester XT
2000 Impreza 2.5RSC (Supercharged)
1990 Rover Mini 1000
LaureltheQueen
Spelling Nazi
Spelling Nazi

Post by LaureltheQueen »

i get that too, but it's only immediately after starting up my car and trying to leave in a hurry, while i'm accelerating. I think it's probably an old power steering pump(210k miles). I've just left it, there have been no problems with it other than that. it's sort of like it's binding up... crazy
Laurel Tuning Stage 15
92 Touring Wagon 5MT 16G
[quote="NICO I WRX U"]the streets are my track[/quote]
karlusmagnus
In Neutral

Post by karlusmagnus »

Thanks for at least reassuring me that I am not alone with such an issue albeit a minor one. I brought it to a mechanic who said that it would be fine and not to worry. He did not want to mess with the steering too much and he said that it was not dangerous. Above 25mph or once you start driving really you do not notice it too much. And I don't want to spend lotsa moola on fixing it as it does fine right now as a reliable daily driver.
Thanks,
Karl.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Its definitely a power steering issue. Try warming up the car a little and see if it helps at all. If the rack was bad you'd get some play in the steering. If you need to you can run without power steering it will just be hard to turn. If you end up doing this (like the pump completely dies and you don't want to replace it) make sure you drain the fluid out of the system as it will make it extremely difficult to turn the wheel with the fluid in.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
subawhatsubawho
Fourth Gear

Post by subawhatsubawho »

Does anyone know of a good way to drain the power steering fluid??
1991 Legacy BJ L 5MT AWD 189K Paid $100 STOLEN 2/13/06
professor
Third Gear

Post by professor »

if you want to drain the steering fluid you have to take a line off the rack, and then turn it left and right making a complete mess

this drains maybe 80% of it, not all, you can't really get the rest out without removing the rack. There is rarely a reason for doing this unless some idiot poured in the wrong fluid

yard prices for good rack: $125 for low mileage late '90's rack (it fits) complete with full tie rods

yard price for good, used pump: dunno but probably cheap, <$50

I would think your pump is not generating enough pressure, its worn. Also see Legacy777's rebuild thread if you are adventurous
That beer you are drinking cost more than my car
subawhatsubawho
Fourth Gear

Yeah I am thinking of rebuilding using Josh's thread. I would take pictures and note the before and after differences too.

Maybe I will become the authority on power steering...or not.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I found that removing the pump from the craddle, moving it over a plastic oil drain pan, and then cracking the lines open makes a lot less of a mess. No it doesn't drain all the fluid out of the system, but using this method after sucking as much fluid out as I could with a turkey baster made for a lot less clean up.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
subawhatsubawho
Fourth Gear

I was doing some work under the hood today when I heard a funny noise. I tracked it down to the P/S pump. It's whinning like crazy.

I think I know why I am having P/S issues.

I am going to try and track down a cheap unit. If not I will rebuild.
2.0 legacy
In Neutral

Post by 2.0 legacy »

My SVX has a speed sensor for the P/S

This controls the the amount of "assistance" the stearing gets.
Anyone know if the legacies have one?
If they do it's likely to be that
Ian
93 legacy 2.0 turbo
97 SVX drilled slotted rotors
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

There's no electronic sensor. There is a mechanical spring that adjusts pressure, but I don't see how it can be speed sensing.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm