External engine oil cooler

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

mTk
no title

External engine oil cooler

Post by mTk »

When i had a 4eat i installed an external tube & fin atf cooler. I'd like to use the same cooler for engine oil now that i have no 4eat. I can probably find a sandwich adapter for between the block and filter that i can run hose from.

My questions are, will the same hoses i used for the atf work w/ engine oil? I'm guessing that the engine oil will be under quite a bit more pressure than the atf was.

Additionally, what is the thread size for the oil filter?

MK
1992 BC672 AWD 5MT
mTk
no title

Post by mTk »

If not a sandwich adapter, then i may use a filter relocation kit and run the cooler through the return hose.

MK
1992 BC672 AWD 5MT
mTk
no title

Post by mTk »

Also, i suppose i could use the atf cooler that's built into the tranny.. would it flow enough to be effective for oil?

MK
1992 BC672 AWD 5MT
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

1) I don't see why hoses that stand up to ATF wouldn't stand up to motor oil. Isn't ATF under high pressure too? I mean, it does operate hydraulic circuits.

2) I believe the filter threads are M20x1.5mm.

3) Someone else who knows better should offer their insight too, but I think the fittings on the radiator's ATF cooler are really small. I don't think it'd work that well for motor oil.

4) Why not use an OEM oil/water heat exchanger? Unless you're making a lot of heat, engine coolant should be able to carry it away. You get other benefits too: the engine warms up quicker, you don't have hoses running all over the place, and the oil changes become easier because the oil filter is easier to reach.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
mTk
no title

Post by mTk »

I agree that the atf cooler in the radiator is too small. I would love to run an oem engine oil cooler, but it is probably quite a bit more expensive thatn using what i already have.

MK
1992 BC672 AWD 5MT
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

If I recall, ciper has an oil cooler from a 91 turbo he's willing to sell. That might be affordable.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
Brat4by4
Stratified

Post by Brat4by4 »

oil cooler cores can be had for $40 or so from www.summitracing.com
1993 WMP BC6 5MT EJ22T 9psi 3.9:1 213k 205/55R16

62.6 m/s @ 0.66 bar. Gotta love boost. :)
DOA
First Gear

Post by DOA »

If the hose bore on the ATF cooler is much smaller than the main oil lines then youll probably lose oil pressure all through the system due to the restriction but the connectors will almost definately handle the pressure, hydraulic hoses of any sort are way OTT for engine oil pressures.
Also, why are you adding an extra cooler and where are you planning on putting it? If youve got a turbo model then it may be worth running it inline with the turbos oil feed, preferably before the turbo to keep it nice and cool.
If only I hadnt bought the bike, this would feel fast :P
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

hot oil can eat any line no matter what it is.
1993 Subaru Legacy 44B STi 4Cam 16Valve Turbo Intercooled AWD
EJ22T, STi EJ207 DOHC, Vi-PEC (Spare Autronic) @ 426.20HP / 394.94ft lb @ 00psi
Tuned By: Franz Diebold ( DIEBOLD AUTOSPORT ) @ NVauto
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

It can be hard to find good high-temperature oil-resistant hose. We were looking when plumbing my brother's turbo oil drain line. I'm sure you can find expensive Teflon hose that's spec'd right, but we're poor so we ended up using some hose that's only rated up to something like 257 degrees F. That was the highest we could find.

Then again, the hoses that came with his oil filter relocation kit seemed to be made of ordinary rubber (no Teflon sheaths or anything), so there may be some rubber formulations out there that would be fine...
DOA
First Gear

Post by DOA »

Quite what temperatures are you expecting here, the hottest I ever saw it get on my old golf was 105degrees. I accept on a turbo car it may get a bit hotter but much hotter and the engine will be scrap anyway and the coolant will all boil off surely. Oh and whoever said hot oil will eat through any hose eventually, yeah your right, but thats why you maintain your car lol :P .
If only I hadnt bought the bike, this would feel fast :P
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

It all depends on where you're dealing with the oil... The oil drain line off the turbo probably has the hottest oil you'll find on the car. The oil that's fed to the filter is probably fairly close to the engine's operating temperature, roughly 100 degrees Celsius.
mTk
no title

Post by mTk »

What size are the oil and coolant fittings on the turbo?

MK
1992 BC672 AWD 5MT
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Someone please correct me if I get this wrong, but:

Coolant (both sides): 12mm banjo. I don't know the threading on the banjo bolt but I'd guess M12x1.25mm or M12x1.50mm.

Oil feed (head side): 12mm banjo also, same as coolant lines.

Oil feed (turbo side: 10mm banjo, probably M10x1.0mm or M10x1.25mm threads.

Oil drain: 2-bolt flange with gasket. The stock tube that attaches there has an outer diameter of 15mm.
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

on a semi related note aren't our wheel studs 12x1.25?
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Yes, our wheel studs are M12x1.25mm. Just like the MT's shift knob. :)
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

I could just see someone with spline drives or an STi knob on their turbo :)
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

On the turbocharger? Those are banjo bolts...