Sick Setup Idea. But will it work?

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

STi_GUY
First Gear

Sick Setup Idea. But will it work?

Post by STi_GUY »

This was actually my bros Idea.

3.3 SVX engine
Forced Air Turbo Kit
STi USDM six speed and LSD

All tucked into a BC/BF...

Is he on crack or is he on to something?
Cody
1994 Legacy Ti Wagon (Estate)
2.4L of N/A fury :)
Awesome vendor: http://home.att.net/~teaguesauto/index.htm
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Is that engine open or closed-deck? If closed, I think that would be really sick with standard compression pistons and low boost. It would upset the weight distribution a little, but as the Legacys are better balanced than Imprezas, it'll likely end up around an Imp's weight dist. A wagon may still best it in this regard. If it were easy I'd love to have a foolproof 250HP 6-cyl than a turbo 4.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
STi_GUY
First Gear

Post by STi_GUY »

Thats the Idea. 94 Wagon, Standard Comp, and 6 psi. The question is if it will all bolt up. Particularly the tranny to the 3.3?

Edit: ....and some Duals! :D
Cody
LegacyT
Fourth Gear

Post by LegacyT »

considering people have mated legacy turbo, and WRX 5MT's to the SVX powerplant. I'd say yes the STi 6MT should mate up, it is afterall an EJ series tranny. The SVX engine is open deck, so I'd most definetly lower the stock 10:1 comp ratio with aftermarket forged pistons, or your likely to blow it up real soon. Any sort of intercooling would help as well.

Mark,
1991 Turbo Sedan, Aspen White 5MT, Sold RIP
1994 Turbo Sedan, Crimson Pearl 5MT, from British Columbia-no rust!
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

I haven't seen any SVX turbo setups with intercoolers; there's really very little space for it.

The Forced Air kit in particular doesn't use an intercooler but just runs really low boost. They use an RRFPR but don't do anything for timing control.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
LegacyT
Fourth Gear

Post by LegacyT »

You can custom fab up an intercooler setup for sure, I know I would If I were doing that.

Mark,
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

I think you'd definitely want an IC with the high CR. A good tuner for a stand-alone would be imperative, too if you wanted a reliable long lived-system that didn't require frequent maintenance, but all that money would all go to a damn good cause.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
LegacyT
Fourth Gear

Post by LegacyT »

If space was a major issue, then I'd most likely choose water/alcohol injection as a primary form of intercooling.

Mark,
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

why turbo though? Slap a whipple supercharger on that beast, torque for days!
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
STi_GUY
First Gear

Post by STi_GUY »

Turbo isnt necessary. As you pointed out, Its not the only way to do forced induction! :D

You could say this thread is an exercise in "Engine Swap Theory 101"

I keep hearing about the supercharger for the SVX, and even of that setup (minus the 6'er) in Colorado. Somebody on this board if I'm not mistaken. Can somebody point me in the right direction for locating said supercharger?

PS: just a thought, but how would the rest of the drivetrain hold up? (ie Wheel bearings etc)
Cody
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

Well i dunno what was different about the svx wheelbearings, but as I'm sure you know they died pretty quick. I don't think ours are as prone to failure though, and there's some pretty torquey cars out there. It'd probably a weight thing. As for the supercharger I dunno where to find whipple's but eaton's are pretty popular, just control the boost and you're ready for some fun!
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
rsstiboy
Second Gear

Post by rsstiboy »

i was actually discussing this the other day, but i was thinking more along the lines of a parallel twin TD05 turbo setup on the svx motor with fmic. it would be good for 10 sec 1/4s!
MY02 B4 Liberty, 2 1/2" off the primary with splitter, 3" off the secondary, 3" the rest of the way, completely stainless, k&n filter, ECUtek 3, 500HP walbro, 173kw@all4
Kelly
Fourth Gear

Post by Kelly »

I think the SVX has different bearings, I know it has different spindles.

I wouldnt worry about it being open deck with boost, Id worry about the pistons, but there a bitch to replace. (big drawback to the boxer motor)
Id go turbo. With all that extra displacement, you wont need the low end boost of a supercharger, plus the headache of finding a place for it, and/or the correct unit.

It would probably be eisier to run bi turbo, then to make a single turbo header. And six pounds might be pushing it. I think theres a good reason as to why nobody builds those motors. Unless you had 15 grand to spend.
LegacyT
Fourth Gear

Post by LegacyT »

SVX wheelbearings weren't the problem. The problem was that very few people actually know how to press them in correctly. Even alot of techs at dealerships don't know how to do it correctly. As for building up the SVX. I'd most definetly close the deck If I was going for a high boost application. At least make it semi closed deck like the EJ20T and EJ257. The forged crank is supported by by 7 bearings so it should hold up quite well. All else I'd say is forged con rods and pistons, and a good high efficency aluminum rad to help keep everything cooler.

Mark,