Looking for info on dechroming techniques

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

luckylouie
In Neutral

Looking for info on dechroming techniques

Post by luckylouie »

I am looking forward to dechroming my '92 L Wagon.
Basically, I want to make door handles, trimmings and grill all black (the molding above the doors will have to be done as well since the black paint is peeling and the chrome underneath is showing).
I am also considering doing the roof rack since it is looking faded but wonder if there is any other method to restore its original finish.
I would like to know if anyone has done that and has any tips on the methods, prepping, paints, etc.
Other than that, the final look ideally will have also tinted windows and black powder coated rims.
Pictures that match this look are welcome!

Louie

8)
Aerotech
Fourth Gear

re: dechroming

Post by Aerotech »

Just did this to my black '91 Sedan; basically just make sure you rough up the chrome by sanding it, so the paint will grip; the paint shop missed some spots on the front bumper strip, and it's peeling already.
I also blacked out all the window trim, as well as the taillight assembly chrome with satin black, and I also painted over the white strip above the lights ('91 only). Very classy looking, but also now visually very similar to a Maxima of the same vintage. Combined with a medium tint on the windows, it's a very dark car now... if you have a dark interior, go easy on the tint!
Jerry

'04 Passat GLS 4Motion 5MT (Subaru by VW)
'86 Vanagon Syncro Camper Garage Queen
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Heh, yeah, our cars are already visually similar to Maximas... In my younger days when I wasn't as familiar with them I mistook a Maxima with a spoiler for a Legacy Turbo once or twice.

Can you roughen the chrome up with a wire wheel on a drill? That might be quicker and make it easier to avoid missing spots than using sandpaper.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

The old Maxima's always cause a double take. Out of the corner of your eye, the back end can set off a flag.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
LaureltheQueen
Spelling Nazi
Spelling Nazi

Post by LaureltheQueen »

i dont have a white strip above my lights, i have a 91, or are you talking about the back end? (i've got a wagon)
Laurel Tuning Stage 15
92 Touring Wagon 5MT 16G
[quote="NICO I WRX U"]the streets are my track[/quote]
georryan
Fourth Gear

Post by georryan »

pics???
91 Pearl White Sport Sedan
04 Java Black Pearl Forester XT
2014 Volvo S60 T5
18 KTM 1290 Adventure S

87 Grey GL-10 Sedan (so long old buddy) - donated