What to do with US '95 Legacy L Wagon w/ 2.2NA?

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Which motor can put out at least 250HP and be most easily installed into a '95 L Wagon?

91-94 US Legacy Turbo Motor
50%
US 2001+ WRX Motor
17%
JDM WRX Motor
17%
JDM WRX STI Motor
17%
JDM Legacy Twin Turbo Motor
No votes

Total votes: 6

PowderSno
In Neutral

What to do with US '95 Legacy L Wagon w/ 2.2NA?

Post by PowderSno »

Alright, folks... I'm hoping to get some input from all you pro Subaru-heads. I have a 1995 Legacy L Wagon with the 2.2 Naturally Aspirated motor in it (167k miles, still running nicely) and the 5-speed MT. I like the car, but man... it needs more power. It currently has 135HP... I'd like to get into the 250HP area.

So... what to do? Is it worth trying to drop something like a Japanese Domestic motor in from either a WRX or from a Legacy Twin Turbo (GT-B, I believe it would be)?

If I do do an engine swap, I of course would have to get a new transmission to match... but what about things like drive-shafts? Would the existing shafts be able to handle the power? What about my rear differential? Would it A) be strong enough, and B) have the correct gear-ratios for the new transmission?

Next up would be the clutch engaging mechanism... on my car, it is a cable linkage... I presume with the higher performance tranny it would require a hydraulic clutch assembly. Can I realistically install this sort of assembly?

Next up would be the intake and exhaust plumbing... how hard would it be to get this all fixed up for my car? First thing that comes to mind is that the Japanese motor would be designed for a car with right-hand drive, vs the left-hand drive that us North American folk are used to.

And finally, will a high performance Japanese motor even run here in the US on our gas? I know that the US rating and the Japanese ratings for octane are different... but I don't know what the equivelent ratings would be between Japan and the US. Is US97-octane good enough for the boost of those motors?

Okay, so those are the questions that come to mind... I'm sure there are even more.

Any opinions? Is it worth even attempting, or would I be better of selling this car and getting myself into a different Subaru? If it is worth attempting, anybody have any idea just what kind of money we're talking?

Thanks for any info you guys can provide!!!

-- Marc
STi_GUY
First Gear

Post by STi_GUY »

Well, I know that you should steer clear of the Twin Turbo JDM. That conversion is more frustration than fruition. The entire setup revolves around the car being RHD. NOT AN EASY SWAP.

Whats more commonly seen in 95+ US Legacys is the USDM WRX swap. I suggest professional installation with that one as the wiring can be overwhelming.

The easiest swap by far is the EJ22T from the 1st gen legacys. Anybody on this board will tell you that the closed deck EJ22 is THE STRONGEST engine subaru has ever put into production. Installation is much simpler than that of the USDM WRX. I believe there is only 1 different wire than that of your existing harness.

I think you know my vote :D
Cody
1994 Legacy Ti Wagon (Estate)
2.4L of N/A fury :)
Awesome vendor: http://home.att.net/~teaguesauto/index.htm
jake15
Fourth Gear

Post by jake15 »

if your lookin to keep it cheap go with the turbo legacy swap. but if you want to go with power do a JDM STi swap