Need a 4EAT or Transfer Clutch Assy.

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

mark10t
In Neutral

Need a 4EAT or Transfer Clutch Assy.

Post by mark10t »

It looks like I need to either replace or rebuild the auto transmission in my '94 Touring Wagon (turbo). I've got no RWD and the transmission is shifting less than 'perfect'. The question is- do I just repair/replace the AWD transfer clutch assy. or do I go for a whole trans 'swap'.

Anyone out there have or know of a used/rebuilt transmission? BTW- the 'turbo' Legacy transmission is basically the same as an SVX transmission- same ratios- except for final drive.

-Mark
'94 Subaru SVX LSi
'94 Subaru Touring Wagon
WRXdan
Second Gear

Post by WRXdan »

I'm currently rebuilding a 4EAT. It's really not too tough to do. The rebuild kit (without steels) will run about $200. Some kits include the transfer frictions some don't. The transfer assemble works like 2-3 clutch, or any clutch in the trans. Make note to look in the extension housing –tale shaft section. The transfer clutch assemble has 2 bushings on the output shaft. These bushings tend to break down or wear into the aluminum housing causing loss or miss directed hydraulic pressure. This is the root of torque bind. I think the newer 4EATs have steel liners to protect the soft housing.

The Turbo 4EAT/SVX trans has the same number of clutches as a NA 4EAT, but the clutch material and steels are thicker. You might have the second design 4EAT. Do you have the external filter? If you do then you have the gen 2 design.

There is plenty of online documentation. They are a must have for the rebuild. There is no way you will remember where all the thrust washers and bushings go.

One last tip. For me the valve body was the most intimidating. The bell housing, pump, transfer extension were a breeze. The valve body will make you or break you. You can test the clutch(s) operation as your rebuilding. You have to wait till the trans is in the car before you can test the valve body. Luckily you can remove the VB without removing the trans. Of all the transmissions I have rebuild, the VB is always where I make mistakes. The documentation shows how the measure tolerances. DON'T SKIP THIS. Get the proper tools and follow the directions or you will be pulling the trans a few months down the road.
92 Turbo Legacy 4EAT
02 WRX - lightly modded (Gone but not forgotten)
mark10t
In Neutral

Post by mark10t »

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not sure if I'm ready to tackle rebuilding a 4EAT yet, (I have done some clutch work and some engine work in past years).

I may have a handle on a used transmission, but it is in Canada and the freight cost is outrageous. I may tackle the 'swap' myself.

-Mark
'94 Subaru SVX LSi
'94 Subaru Touring Wagon