Junk Getting into Turbo...

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

123c
Second Gear

Junk Getting into Turbo...

Post by 123c »

Today I took off some of the plumbing going into and from the turbo today, and I forgot to stuff a rag down one of them. There was a slight breeze today, so there might have been a slight chance that something could have gotten down into the turbo. If something did get into the turbo will it probally destroy it, and if so, how long will it take for this to happen...
[color=red][b]1993 Subaru BC Turbo Legacy (193k miles)
1971 VW Super Beetle
1989 Honda Elite 50
[/color][/b]
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

It all depends on what got in, no?

Which side did you leave uncovered? The inlet or the outlet? Compressor or turbine side?

You might want to take a Shop-Vac or even just a vacuum cleaner to it. You can also put a dab of heavy grease on the end of a chopstick or something to try to grab particulate matter.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
123c
Second Gear

Post by 123c »

It was on the outlet side, so tomorrow I might take a shop vac and see if I can suck up anything just for a saftey precaution. I've driven the car about 30 miles since I've put it back together...
[color=red][b]1993 Subaru BC Turbo Legacy (193k miles)
1971 VW Super Beetle
1989 Honda Elite 50
[/color][/b]
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Leaves, grass, shit like that won't really cause any problem I'm sure. The turbine would vaporize it if it gets to it, or it would be sucked in the throttle body and combusted.

If you've gone 30 miles and nothing has happened, then likely nothing will.

I have a friend who doesn't run an air filter on his twin turbo... car. Just sucks right in the turbo (D-Jetro, MAP based metering). He hasn't had any problems.

I'd say you're fine.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Here's the engine bay pic of the guy I was talking about's car. As you can see, no air fliters, just straight into the turbo.

He did say he was going to get a few of those HKS pods to stick on to keep the big stuff out. But he said he might just get a peice of screen over it.

I didn't take this pic. It was taken at the Mazda Rev-it-up and I got it from a member who posted it on another forum I frequent.

Name that car ;)

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

BAC5.2 wrote: Name that car ;)
hmm, I wonder.
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Is that car just for show? I can't imagine things lasting too long in dusty conditions.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Nah, he drives it a good bit. Dust, leaves, bugs, all get vaporized immediately. It's the rocks and such that you gotta worry about.

rsstiboy
Second Gear

Post by rsstiboy »

if your getting rocks that high up in your engine bay i'd say hes doing some weird shit!
MY02 B4 Liberty, 2 1/2" off the primary with splitter, 3" off the secondary, 3" the rest of the way, completely stainless, k&n filter, ECUtek 3, 500HP walbro, 173kw@all4
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

i see pic s of cars like that all the time where is there air filters + mafs how does that set up work. i think it looks good but on the streets thats very stupid but how.
1993 Subaru Legacy 44B STi 4Cam 16Valve Turbo Intercooled AWD
EJ22T, STi EJ207 DOHC, Vi-PEC (Spare Autronic) @ 426.20HP / 394.94ft lb @ 00psi
Tuned By: Franz Diebold ( DIEBOLD AUTOSPORT ) @ NVauto
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Driving is like having sex on the beach - sand gets in everywhere. I regularly find small rocks all over the engine bay, but its his engine.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

hahahahahhaahha nice how i love those ladys loveing on the beach
1993 Subaru Legacy 44B STi 4Cam 16Valve Turbo Intercooled AWD
EJ22T, STi EJ207 DOHC, Vi-PEC (Spare Autronic) @ 426.20HP / 394.94ft lb @ 00psi
Tuned By: Franz Diebold ( DIEBOLD AUTOSPORT ) @ NVauto
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

NICO I WRX U wrote:i see pic s of cars like that all the time where is there air filters + mafs how does that set up work. i think it looks good but on the streets thats very stupid but how.
The Skyline is Speed-Density metered for air. No MAF. The ECU reads the Manifold pressure and makes adjustments as necessary.

No air filters on the Skyline. He hasn't had any problems. I don't think he's had any filters on it since he got the car. He is going to get some HKS pod filters though, just in case.

legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Phil- Is that the Skyline that you were talking about at the rockville meet? That engine shot looks sweet. Hopefully I'll get to see it next time. :D
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Matt - I recently found out that there are 2 skylines. Both R32's. Both white.

The one I was thinking of at Rockville belongs to a guy named Marc. I haven't met him.

The one in the picture belongs to a guy named Jeff. I Have met him, and he's a pretty cool guy. Super sweet car too.

BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Well, on second thought.... I think Jeff's skyline might actually be Marc's old skyline. I don't know if there are 2 or just a private party sale of one.

Not sure how it worked out.

I think Marc's car was sold to Jeff, I'm seriously fuzzy on the details.

legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

BAC5.2 wrote: Image
My god! those shorts look painted on! :shock: Screw it, I'll take both. :twisted:
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

She was hitting on me too! I don't know why, but she definately was.

Roman and I were talking to her, and she was like "I should hit on all the judges..." and then pretended like I was a judge, she got up real close and ran her hand down my chest. Had I tried to say anything, my voice would have likely screeched like a 12 year old boy's.

ultrasonic
Third Gear

Post by ultrasonic »

BAC5.2 wrote:She was hitting on me too! I don't know why, but she definately was.

Roman and I were talking to her, and she was like "I should hit on all the judges..." and then pretended like I was a judge, she got up real close and ran her hand down my chest. Had I tried to say anything, my voice would have likely screeched like a 12 year old boy's.
That's not hitting, thats teasing.

But hey, take it where you can get it.
-steve-

03 Legacy L Wagon
91 Legacy Sport Sedan - SOLD
94 Legacy Touring Wagon - SOLD
00 Impreza L Sport Wagon - totaled!
LaureltheQueen
Spelling Nazi
Spelling Nazi

Post by LaureltheQueen »

haha, she just wanted to know that she could have you if she felt like it
Laurel Tuning Stage 15
92 Touring Wagon 5MT 16G
[quote="NICO I WRX U"]the streets are my track[/quote]
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Hey, I got her number, didn't I?

evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Did you trying calling it yet?

"Hello, Mike's Pizza?" :lol:

Steve
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Hehe, did she tell you her name was Regina Philange? ;)
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

I have no intention of ever calling it. She's not my type. And she's outta my league, but that's besides the point.

Her - "what do you drive?"
Me - "oh.. a Subaru..."
Her - "Oh, a WRX? Nice. I was looking at those before I got my M3."
Me - "Well, it was nice talking to you... I gotta go."

LegacyT
Fourth Gear

Post by LegacyT »

Her face is bleh, but her body is :P You shoulda hit it (with a paper bag) and you may have ended up rich the easy way.

Mark
1991 Turbo Sedan, Aspen White 5MT, Sold RIP
1994 Turbo Sedan, Crimson Pearl 5MT, from British Columbia-no rust!