Too old to rock-n-roll?

This is for non-Subaru related topics. Keep it realistic please.

Moderator: Moderators

Tleg93
Fifth Gear

Too old to rock-n-roll?

Post by Tleg93 »

I look around at some of the people around my age and I notice that many have convinced themselves they're too old for this or too old for that. They throw up barriers in life that prevent them from loosening up. Many get stuck in this rigid mindset of utter respectability and joyless conservatism. What's wrong with lightening up, having fun, and enjoying life while lasts. I've always believed that age was partly a state of mind. That doesn't mean that at 30 you should jump around in the colored plastic balls at the carnival like a blithering idiot everytime you see them but what's wrong with challenging the idea that certain things are off-limits too you once you reach a certain age. Of course, everyone is expected to be responsible for themselves at a certain point but does that mean that you can't have fun, be full of energy, and do off-the-wall things sometimes. What good is it to learn and grow if you just stiffle yourself by saying you're too old and stiff to have fun. I think it's good too keep an open mind about life and not get set in one's ways, stiff, stubborn, and all uptight, but that's me. Once you've been through some things in life the small pleasures are, IMO, even sweeter because now you've learned how rare those moments are. Anyway, I'm just ranting.
--Scott--

1991 - Rio Red SS
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

Eh, age is a perception. If you think you're old, then you're old. If not, then you're not.

I say live life to the fullest, no matter what. Do what makes you happy. If you go around catering to what other people think, then it's not really your life in the end.

Why define a person's character by just some of the things you do? I can agree that at a certain age you have to establish some sort of responsibility, but if you're just trying to unwind every now and then, what's the problem?

Too many people concerned with what "pther people" will think of them. That's the real problem.
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

ahh....a good topic.

I tend to act older then I am.....but in a completely contradictory manner.....I have no problems doing completely stupid off the wall shit. I'll probably always enjoy doing stuff like that....and yeah....I don't forsee my age keeping me from doing anything.

Oh yeah.....and FUCK what other people think! I'm a huge proponent of this. :D
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Re: Too old to rock-n-roll?

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Padishar Creel wrote: That doesn't mean that at 30 you should jump around in the colored plastic balls at the carnival like a blithering idiot everytime you see them .
Oooh, uh, I always do that. I guess I'm a blithering idiot. :wink:

No seriously though, I'm 29 and according to the wife I'm inmature as hell. :lol: When I'm not doing serious 'family' stuff, I like to be a moron and make a fool of myself as often as possible.
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

The other problem is kids - they age you at least twenty years (especially physically for a lot of women). My sister's twenty two with an almost 3-yr old. She never does anything. All they do is work and go to school while their friends are doing whatever. I was travelling around the world at that age. Even if you want to do something, the damn kid needs to be accounted for and then (I guess for some people) they worry about it the whole time their gone. I won't even get a dog for this reason. People ask who would take care of me when I get older. I will. If I get alzheimers I'll write myself a note, tape it to the dash (in big words, of course) reminding me to drive off a cliff or into a bridge embankment at 100+. If I have a stroke I'll wheel my ass blowing through that straw off the same cliff. Why would I want to saddle some other poor person with taking care of someone too old to live? I don't have the ego some people have to think they need to live forever nor the fear of death others have so I might as well take advantage of my lucky attitude. Until then, I'll enjoy myself pragmatically.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Tleg93
Fifth Gear

Post by Tleg93 »

I'm far from perfect but I think I know what I'm about better now than I did a number of years ago. I can't pretend to be somehing I'm not even if who I am changes over time. My tastes change all the time and there's nothing I can or would do about it, I like trying new things. I guess that's viewed as childlike to some. I often get excited about things in much the same way I did when I was younger except I can control my emotions much better. I guess I'm just stating the obvious but I've seen people change into big bores, get bitter and lose interest in trying anything new. I think it's sad to get that rigid.
--Scott--

1991 - Rio Red SS
czo79
Second Gear

Post by czo79 »

" but what's wrong with challenging the idea that certain things are off-limits too you once you reach a certain age."

Sounds to me like someone is trying to justify stuffing an eighteen year old baby sitter or neighbor or student or something...
Micum
91 Legacy Turbo Sport - 94 JDM EJ20G
97 Legacy 2.5 GT - mod'd
93 Impreza L AWD (sold)
97 Legacy 2.5 GT (deceased)
98 Legacy Outback (sold)
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

RenMaxi (my 91 turbo friend) is 36, and HE'S the one who got me out partying all the time, and I'm only 20!! He took me to my first club about 4 months ago!

He told me a good saying once: "When you're no longer having fun, you're no longer living." He constantly tells me I work too much, think about school too much, spend too much money and time on my cars, etc. etc. He says I need to spend more time with friends screwing around, wasting time, having fun. People at work have told me the same thing, that I'm too uptight, need to loosen up, enjoy life. Everyone has told me that if I keep up the way I am, I'm gonna be 40 years old and in MAJOR midlife crisis time because I won't have any good memories of my younger years.

I blame my grandparents 100% for that. My grandparents are complete workaholics who think having fun and enjoying life are irresponsible and immature. I'm not exaggerating either. My grandmother has absolutely NO idea what I do when I'm out, because 95% of the time, it's "not good company" or "something I shouldn't be doing." I had to pay entirely for my Legacy, which is why I take such good care of it, don't beat on it, etc. because I appreciate it. They are VERY old-world about sexuality too. According to my grandmother, I'm not supposed to look at a girl a certain way, not supposed to even look at skin magazines like Maxim, she even thinks wanking it is sinful!!! :shock:

But I'm writing a constitution AGAIN... I really think I need to just sit down for a whole weekend and just write everything I think about, I could write 200 pages in 2 days guaranteed!
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
Tleg93
Fifth Gear

Post by Tleg93 »

czo79 wrote:" but what's wrong with challenging the idea that certain things are off-limits too you once you reach a certain age."

Sounds to me like someone is trying to justify stuffing an eighteen year old baby sitter or neighbor or student or something...
:lol: :lol:

Nah, I was kind of talking about partying, playing video games, playing drums, driving fast and all the other supposedly juvenile things I do. I wouldn't feel the least bit guilty about 'stuffing' any 18 year old neighbor or whatever. It takes two to tango as they say. Guilt would mean doing something I thought was wrong when I did it or something someone convinced me was wrong later. :)
--Scott--

1991 - Rio Red SS
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Michael,

There's a difference between being a workaholic and preparing/building a good foundation for the rest of your life. I can't emphasize the importance of getting your degree and finishing school. You can bust your ass now for a little while to get ahead and have it pay off in the end.....or screw around now and struggle later.

There is obviously a balance between work and play. You have to prioritize and do get out there every now and then. I've gotten a lot better at this......

Live life.....learn....and make adjustments as necessary :)
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

isotopeman
Second Gear

Post by isotopeman »

Totally agree with 777, My professors (now coworkers) taught me a lot about balancing work and partying - especially about the partying. As well as enjoying your work. Like spending time at a job you dislike - You can't buy that time back with what "the man" who took it is paying you. It benefits "him". But then, I don't have kids, just a cat that stays outside year round.
δ13/12C = -17.7 ‰
δ15/14N = 9.4 ‰
isotopeman
Second Gear

Post by isotopeman »

speaking of partying, if the last post didn't make sense,...
δ13/12C = -17.7 ‰
δ15/14N = 9.4 ‰
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Legacy777 wrote:I can't emphasize the importance of getting your degree and finishing school.
I understand that, but sometimes I wonder if I'm going to spend all this time going to school, come out with no good job offers, and be stuck in a job I hate still making crap dough. While a college education is of paramount importance, it doesn't guarantee success.

I honestly think I could get an okay job making okay money (enough to pay the bills and have a bit of fun with), get a halfway-decent place, keep my old Scoobs, and just have fun with friends. I hate my B-type personality sometimes, but my aspirations aren't all that high :?

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

What good is money if you need to kill yourself? Don't get me wrong, I'm by no means a hedonist, but you could always get hit by a bus or slip in the tub. I've already done most of the things I wanted to do as a kid, so I've no regrets in what I've done. I guess just do what you won't regret.

I'm seriously considering real estate right now as it's what I was going to do with extra money anyways. But with all this saving for a house I've been doing, if I find I'm good at it, my first big purchase is going to be a Lotus Elise - stupid, but F-it, you know?

I don't think you only live once, but that doesn't mean not to enjoy it. Just don't give up everything for it ... I guess that's the trick, balancing responsibilty and pleasure, isn't it?

Oh, forget it, I'm getting something to eat.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Yukonart
Cradle Robber
Cradle Robber

Post by Yukonart »

czo79 wrote:Sounds to me like someone is trying to justify stuffing an eighteen year old baby sitter or neighbor or student or something...
Uhhhh :oops:

Anyway, I feel the need to chime in here, too.

Took up snowboarding last winter (for the first time)
Started autocrossing last summer
Girlfriend is 18, and has absolutely no problems with dating me
Have a far better relationship with my parents, now that we don't take it too seriously
I'm a total goofball, and therefor, many of my friends gravitate to me in our free time
I just bought a SECOND Xbox a few weeks ago so my buddies and I can system link for Halo at ANY TIME
I drive one of the cars most teenagers would KILL to own, right now
Used to wear Levis 550 jeans, tucked-in polo shirts, etc
Now I wear baggy Silvertabs, untucked t-shirts, etc
I relate more with my college-aged friends than my same-aged peers

I told Laurel about how I thought and felt when I came home from her place last weekend, and I think I should share it with you all:

The last couple of years (since I turned 30) have played host to many changes in my life. For the first time I was really living on my own. I have made countless new friends, instead of having just a few good acquaintences. I've found passion with automobiles. . . a passion I didn't know existed until I dove-in and started exploring it. Many of my inhibitions have disappeared, and I feel so free to try new things with no prejudice from those who know me. Owning a house used to be the single most important thing to me. . . now although I still want one, it no longer directs my life and my lifestyle. I could rent another two years and it wouldn't really bother me too much. Life isn't too complicated for me right now.

I look forward to things I used to think were trivial just a few years ago:

Hanging out with my friends. . . for no particular reason.
Playing video games. . . not for the challenge, but to see how much I suck, and to exchange banter with my friends as we play.
The new snowboard gear to hit stores in another few months.
Barbecues.

Bottom line. . . I am extremely happy with my life, and with everyone in it.

Why? Because I don't take it too seriously. :)

PS: You guys are ALL awesome!!!!
"Power is NOTHING without control"
1994 & 2005 Legacy GT Wagons
Yukonart
Cradle Robber
Cradle Robber

Post by Yukonart »

And to add to my previous list:

Went for a drive on my lunchbreak. No destination. . . just drove. Smelled some fresh-cut grass . . . heard some birds singing . . . . just felt free.

I tell you. . . being able to notice, much less enjoy, the simple things in life is the best thing evAR!
"Power is NOTHING without control"
1994 & 2005 Legacy GT Wagons
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

I agree - I often go for a walk in the woods and if I were homeless, I'd drag my stuff in my kayak. I suppose I could fish with it or something anyway. Nature can be a great source of recharge. I also like this particularly cool lighthouse in Marblehead and the night sky over Gloucester harbor.

Steve
Tleg93
Fifth Gear

Post by Tleg93 »

I just bought a SECOND Xbox a few weeks ago so my buddies and I can system link for Halo at ANY TIME
Heh, cool, I've got a PS2 and a Gamecube. I think an Xbox might be in the future. I enjoy playing games and I'm also the master at most of the ones I do play. I let people win sometimes to keep it sporty. :lol: Bragging aside I like to get together and play with friends too and it's not always one-sided beatings that are given. But, yeah my situation is a little similar in that I'm trying to not let things get to me as much anymore, to be more easy going. I've found that I feel a lot better now that I just let foolish people go about their own business without involving myself beyond the point of trying to help out.
--Scott--

1991 - Rio Red SS
Tleg93
Fifth Gear

Post by Tleg93 »

evolutionmovement wrote:I agree - I often go for a walk in the woods and if I were homeless, I'd drag my stuff in my kayak. I suppose I could fish with it or something anyway. Nature can be a great source of recharge. I also like this particularly cool lighthouse in Marblehead and the night sky over Gloucester harbor.

Steve
I've heard that they give those lighthouses away to anyone willing to live in them and take care of them or something like that.
--Scott--

1991 - Rio Red SS
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

subyluvr2212 wrote:
Legacy777 wrote:I can't emphasize the importance of getting your degree and finishing school.
I understand that, but sometimes I wonder if I'm going to spend all this time going to school, come out with no good job offers, and be stuck in a job I hate still making crap dough. While a college education is of paramount importance, it doesn't guarantee success.

I honestly think I could get an okay job making okay money (enough to pay the bills and have a bit of fun with), get a halfway-decent place, keep my old Scoobs, and just have fun with friends. I hate my B-type personality sometimes, but my aspirations aren't all that high :?
The thing you must understand.....it doesn't matter so much if you get right out of college and don't find a kick ass job. The key thing you must understand is that 15-20 years down the line....will you be able to get that kick ass job when competing against someone with a college degree if you don't have one? Regardless if you have more experience. A college degree is your ticket to a lot of opportunities. However my feeling it is just that. A fucking ticket in the door, once you're in the door, you better have some skills to back it. Or it means nothing.

Having worked with people in the 30's when I was younger.....I have seen it too many times where they regret not getting their college degree. My mom is another example. She makes good money, however she's limited because she doesn't have a degree.

Just stick with it and get the degree.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Josh, lemme ask you this: Can college degrees spoil and go bad? :lol: What I mean by that is, have you seen any examples of someone who finishes college, doesn't go chasing after their dream jobs but instead just hangs around and has some more fun as a young adult, then decides to settle down, get a job related to their college education, then they can't because they waited too long, or something to that effect?

I could actually make it a personal goal of mine to just grit my teeth through the rest of college if I know that I can goof around for a couple years afterwards until I grow up and feel like getting serious.

*Formerly DerFahrer*

Tleg93
Fifth Gear

Post by Tleg93 »

Can college degrees spoil and go bad? What I mean by that is, have you seen any examples of someone who finishes college, doesn't go chasing after their dream jobs but instead just hangs around and has some more fun as a young adult, then decides to settle down, get a job related to their college education, then they can't because they waited too long, or something to that effect?

I realize you asked specifically for Josh's input but I thought maybe I could help.

I can tell you that, yes, in fact they can be rendered relatively useless if a person goes to college, gets a degree and then sits on their butt too long. There may be spots where you're not doing exactly what you want but keep on trying and never give up. It helps to have a real zeal for knowledge and self-improvement. Once you've gone to school, especially in a technical field, you may always need to continue learning. College isn't a panacea for all that ails you, it's just a tool to set you on your way to fulfillment but it is a lifetime committment. I wouldn't even tempt fate by 'goofing off if I were you. One year turns into two and next thing you know you've got a child and a wife. Not that it's bad to have children but it's wiser to wait until you get some stability going on first. Remember, life and love will happen when you least expect it to, so let yourself tear loose a little, but don't piss around too much. If you have some plans on the other hand, don't give them up to get a job right out of school. Say if you wanted to go to Europe for a summer or whatever. Those things are good for the soul and could even give rise to some unforseen possiblity. But just hanging around with no plans is BAD. Take it from me, it will save you a lot of stress later if you make concrete plans now.
--Scott--

1991 - Rio Red SS
92 Le-Turbo-SS
First Gear

Post by 92 Le-Turbo-SS »

Yeah I see this general attitude around me all the time, I call it the "throwing in the towell on life syndrom" I enjoy the hell out of life @ 43 ( hockey, road/mtb biking, music, camping,etc.) + all the suby stuff, all because of a great understanding wife, not to mention she's quite involved herself, plus 2 kids, one leaving the house this wk, 18 & a 6 yr. old...... Life for you doesn't end once you have kids unlike some people tend to make a reality.
Alot of people/friend's say there busy alot , I have another phrase I choose to say for them (mumbling under breath). Busy doing nothing.
[quote="Yukonart"]Take what money you have left, buy some beer, and drunk drift that biatch later tonight! :lol:[/quote]
Tleg93
Fifth Gear

Post by Tleg93 »

That's exactly what I'm talking about. It does help to have an understanding partner as opposed to one who is bent on trying to control every little thing. Life is short so why make it an exercise composed entirely of responsibility and duty. Those things have their place but they shouldn't dominate life unless you don't want to live a happy one. Who knows, I can list several friends that don't think life has any fun at all and, of course, they are pretty miserable, not that I'm all smiles every day or anything.

Sometimes people also use children as an excuse to be controlling and funless. I think that too much dottering over a child handicaps them interpersonally. You can't prevent all the bad stuff. There's going to be mistakes, mishaps, wrong turns, bumps, bruises and all. I guess all you can do is to try your best and hope for it too. There's no real way of knowing if your kid will take the high road or not until the moment arrives? Then you know if you did well, but even then it's not all a parents responsibility either.
--Scott--

1991 - Rio Red SS
92 Le-Turbo-SS
First Gear

Post by 92 Le-Turbo-SS »

Padishar Creel wrote: You can't prevent all the bad stuff. There's going to be mistakes, mishaps, wrong turns, bumps, bruises and all. I guess all you can do is to try your best and hope for it too. There's no real way of knowing if your kid will take the high road or not until the moment arrives? Then you know if you did well, but even then it's not all a parents responsibility either.
right indeed, and let me tell you the last 3 years of my kids life here has been just that . Not by our choice, the rewards were there if chose to do so but some people prefer to beat themselves up and I'm not going to give in to bad decisions I see that all the time with kids parents these days not to mention parents not even knowing what they're doing ( what ever happened to dinner at the table) and the result you have is basically a problem in this country that often goes ingnored.
[quote="Yukonart"]Take what money you have left, buy some beer, and drunk drift that biatch later tonight! :lol:[/quote]