BOV questions

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

WhiteLegTurbo
In Neutral

BOV questions

Post by WhiteLegTurbo »

I have a 94 legacy turbo, and i was looking to upgrade the BOV on it, problem is im kinda new at this :oops: . so i was wondering where is the BOV located, and what kind of BOV would i need to buy? Any info would be great.
1994 Subaru Legacy 2.2 turbocharged AWD
ultrasonic
Third Gear

Post by ultrasonic »

When you say "upgrade" do you mean that you want a BOV that works better, or one that sounds louder?
-steve-

03 Legacy L Wagon
91 Legacy Sport Sedan - SOLD
94 Legacy Touring Wagon - SOLD
00 Impreza L Sport Wagon - totaled!
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

Is there really a way to upgrade the stock system? Wouldn't pretty much anything else aside from a brand new one be a downgrade?
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

There are 3 main types of bypass valves. The BOV(blow off valve) which vents to atmosphere and has the distinctive PSHHH sound. The DV (diverter valve) which recirculates air back into the intake pre compressor on MAF setup cars (like ours) and has a much quiter Shaaaw sound. And a hybrid which recirculates a certain amount and vents the rest to atmosphere and still gives a BOV PSHHH sound.

IIRC there is a Mazda or Nissan that had a DV that's concidered an upgrade for our cars but I can't remember off the top of my head what it was. Maybe someone else does. Unless you want to go stand alone and a MAP based setup a DV is the way to go. You can run a BOV but it will hurt performance and tend to want to make the car stall when going off throttle. A hybrid would be better then a BOV since it still recirculates some of the air but a DV is the only way that will not effect performance.

:)
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
91White-T
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 91White-T »

My GReddy Type S sounds great, performance is uchanged and I still get 20mpg venting to the atmosphere.
98 Ford Contour V6 24V 5MT
98 Chevy Camaro Z28 LS1 6MT
91 Rio Red SS 5MT Sold
91 Flat Black Wagon L+ 4EAT RIP
91 Pearl White SS 4EAT RIP
robsgotit
In Neutral

Post by robsgotit »

hey i think i can help. if your lookin for a cheap way to go tshh, without sacraficing drivability you can use your stock dv remove it from the intake tube, (its right behind the t/b) plud the whole that goes into the tube that feeds the turbo, then switch the tubes on the dv, use the long tube to connect the dv to the fitting on the intake tube (behind the t/b) then use the short tube on the other end of the dv, the problem is at idle it will suck in unmeasered air and cause a stumble, and at normal cruizing speed the same thing will happen, (here comes the ghetto part!) i installed a corrona top with 2 rubber bands holding it down with a screw clamp its ghetto but it keeps unwanted air from entering and lets plenty of air blow off, its loud, and the car runs mint
"granny butterin, not double slicin like you should, your lucky that 100 shot of rye didnt blow the welds on the bread lifters, now me and the mad scientist got to rip apart the crumb tray, and replace the lifter springs you fried"
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

that's one hell of a sentence :)
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.