Screw it, going atmospheric...

Front, Top, Air, Water.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

BAC5.2

Screw it, going atmospheric...

Post by BAC5.2 »

Maybe.

A guy I know just wrecked his WRX (Blind turn, didn't brake correctly, overshot the turn and went head on into the tire wall at about 50mph), and if it's totaled, he's parting it out.

He has an HKS Super Sequential BOV.

I have been reading about this BOV, and it closes after venting and at idle. Quick jabs without moving will just shut the valve and not TO much would be lost. Not enough to stall the car anyway.

The only reason I'd be doing this would be A) good price. B) Just to see how it goes.

If I don't like it/it messes up, then I'll just sell it, no harm, no foul. I just wanna see how it'll act. Plus, that's a scary, scary noise.

I think I win the LegacyCentral Ricer award. Well, maybe. At least my car is fast, and looks good. I just like how the BOV goes WOOOOOOOO.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
mTk
no title

Post by mTk »

C) Bling Bling

MK
1992 BC672 AWD 5MT
LegacyPunk
Second Gear

Post by LegacyPunk »

I don't blame you. After reverting to the stock air intake setup, I really miss all the cool turbo related noises I once had :(
:twisted::cool::twisted: "Plenty of time, to ruin my life, so why start now?" The Movie Life
1993 Sports Sedan, Exhaust, MBC, 02 WRX IC, KYB GR-2s...Now with old back seat!
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Yea, that's why I want it too.

I was next to my boss one day (he's got a 99 Outback Wagon), and he said "That thing got a hemi?" I was in 2nd so I just fed her the go-juice and TOOK OFF (only running 10psi at the time).

When I pulled over and got my bike out of the car (going mountain biking with boss), he was like "man, I forgot you had the turbo. That shit is LOUD."

So it appears that my turbo is as loud out of the car, as it is inside, and that's pretty friggin loud. I've gotta be able to back that up. People keep saying to me, they say, "no BOV?"

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

you should say, "no, I like my car to idle thanks"

dont be a ricer wtf
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

BOV = closed at idle. Should idle fine.

There's 2 people on here running atmospheric, and they don't seem to be having any problem.

mTk
no title

Post by mTk »

THAWA wrote:dont be a ricer wtf
:wink: Thawa what's wrong with purely cosmetic mods?! It's not like anyone ever gets made fun of for doing them!

MK
1992 BC672 AWD 5MT
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Is a BOV on a Nissan TT 300Z "rice"?

THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

yes?
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Good thing it's MY car. :)

91White-T
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 91White-T »

Ahemm.. theres a certain GReddy type S on ebay that would be perfect for you....
98 Ford Contour V6 24V 5MT
98 Chevy Camaro Z28 LS1 6MT
91 Rio Red SS 5MT Sold
91 Flat Black Wagon L+ 4EAT RIP
91 Pearl White SS 4EAT RIP
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

*cough* GReddy Type S *cough*

I'm one of them peoples running atmospheric. Never had a single idle problem, have no idea what the hell you guys are talking about with that. All I can think of is, if you've got idle problems with your atmospheric BOV, did you forget to block off the fitting on Boot B where it recirculates back to?? lol... seriously. Its not a problem.

And, seeing as to how I already had the BOV, and it was already on a 2.5" pipe which matches the Saab 900 TMIC perfectly, it would have been MORE work to utilize the stock BOV. And made less sense. I don't consider a BOV "rice" -- I consider altezzas "rice", and huge useless wings "rice", and electronic devices that mimic the sound of a BOV "rice"... but not a properly installed BOV with the boost to back it up. ... that there's just proof that the driver is in love with all sounds related to his or her turbo. Puts a smile on my face every shift, full boost or not... must say something about that sound... :D
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
91SS 5MT awaiting engine rebuild and VF36...
92SS 4EAT - RIP :(
94SS 5MT4.11+rLSD 289k km: RobTune550,TD05-16g @ 18psi,FMIC,3"TBE,Forester lift
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

I agree it's not rice. That would almost be like calling a noisy supercharger rice or a performance exhaust that happens to be loud. There's got to be a limit to what's considered rice or else anything but an absolutely stock-looking and sounding sleeper would be rice. Think of it like the difference between a hotrod and a street rod. One's a self-made custom performance car and the other is a trailer queen with no character and questionable purpose.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

OK, I found some clear-cut definitions for "rice" to help clear things up a bit. Jeff Foxworthy style. :D

http://pimprides.messedup.net/you_might_be_a_ricer.html
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
91SS 5MT awaiting engine rebuild and VF36...
92SS 4EAT - RIP :(
94SS 5MT4.11+rLSD 289k km: RobTune550,TD05-16g @ 18psi,FMIC,3"TBE,Forester lift
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

91White-T wrote:Ahemm.. theres a certain GReddy type S on ebay that would be perfect for you....
I'm not going to get in a bidding war with a friend for it. I'll find a good deal soon enough, hopefully I can get this HKS unit off of my buddy.

LegacySport4L
First Gear

Post by LegacySport4L »

i have an hks ssqv here off a wrx. I was keeping it to use when I tune people's cars if I suspect their stock wrx recirc. valve is leaking under boost. It turns out that I've never used it so if someone wants it they can pm me with an offer.
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Just a thought here: With a lightened flywheel it becomes easier to stall the car right, because there's less inertia? So in theory, if you have a light weight flywheel (like Phil) and did end up having a stumbling problem with the BOV, it would actually be more prenounced, right? It could actually cause stalling when going off throttle perhaps? I'm just throwing out my thoughts. I've heard conflicting reports when it comes to BOV on our cars. Some say it hasn't caused any problems but it seems more have said it does.
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Well, there is a problem with running the atmospheric Stock DV. That'll stall like a mother.

The HKS unit, however, is pretty well designed, being similar to a diaphram setup instead of a piston setup, which means it reacts significantly quicker. As soon as excess pressure is vented, the BOV is shut. You run rich for almost no time. Even my revs wouldn't fall fast enough to still have a problem by the time I reached idle.

http://www.hksusa.com/products/more.asp?id=792

vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Matt - Yes, I think you're right -- a rough idle would be more pronounced with a lightweight flywheel, and would be more likely to stall the motor.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
aspect
First Gear

Post by aspect »

Just threw an apexi dual-chamber bov on the car today. Sounds great, no issues at all besides very brief rich condition after venting lots of air, plus it looks like something from star wars.

I don't think I would buy an HKS because

1) Everyone I know seems to have one
2) From what i've read on nasioc they are prone to failure from lack of lubricant or torn diaphram.

They do have an interesting chirp noise though. The APEXi is more of a pnumatic pshh, not really any pitch to it.

Once my td05-18g arrives I think I'm going to pick up a Tial bov, as they are fantastic units and when you run 20+psi they sound exactly like a WRC car chirp.
dirt-covered 91 SS prorally
pat richard roll cage, DMS 50mm, stickers...
SOLD :(

99 impreza RS
ver. 7 sti swap, ver. 6 RA suspension, JDM bodywork, rotated GT28rs
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

TDO5-18G, where are you picking that up from? :twisted:
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

INSTALLED HKS SQV.

It's LOUD. That's the only way to describe it. LOUD.

I left Matt a message on his cell-phone, but I don't know if it picked up the noise.

It's SCARY!

No adverse effects, I can do a WOT stab in neutral and it returns like normal, no problems. No stuttering, no worries. Scares the SHIT out of people. My new pipe is insane though, it's a 2.5" section with a reducer welded on, and a bung welded on with the valve off of that. I'll get pics soon. Total head-turner effect. I am going to have to do something about it though, I KNOW that loud of noise is going to get on my nerves when I have people in the car, espically with the amount of shifting that you have to do in our cars to stay in the sweet spot.

Also today, we did a custom exhaust on a new Legacy 2.5GT Wagon. Replaced the stock cans and resonator with Magnaflow straight through peices. The pipes after the split on the new Legacy are only 1.75"! That's tiny, but there's 2 of them, so I guess that makes up for it. The car sounds WICKED now, exactly as it should have from the factory.

aspect
First Gear

Post by aspect »

18 comes from forced performance, the makers of the fancy fp green.

http://linux.forcedperformance.net/merc ... y_Code=WRX

99 impreza RS
aspect
First Gear

Post by aspect »

Sooo atmos. bov's are great! Took a little while to get the spring tension set just right, but I am noticing no issues whatsoever. Granted, the car smells rich after a good loud vent, but I honestly can't feel any performance loss...

And the BEST part...once I've got the exhaust up to temp from running it hard, it shoots FIRE out the back after venting.

99 impreza RS
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Shooting fire, eh?

Do you have any cats?