Why Quad Cam???

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

McRooster
In Neutral

Why Quad Cam???

Post by McRooster »

Hi,
I know for some of you this will seem like a dumb question but humour me.
What is the reason for going with a quad cam engine, you can fit the same amount of cams on 2 camshafts, do the cams on each shaft differ slightly meaning that each valve opens and closes at different points, maybe 1 set for lower rpm 1 for higher???? I realy have no idea here, just guessing, would be interesed to find out why.
Cheers
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

hmm? Do you mean why do you have 4 camshafts? You've got one for the intake valves on the driver side, one for the exhaust valves on the driver side, one for the intake valves on the pass side, and one for the exhaust valves on the pass side.
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
aspect
First Gear

Post by aspect »

I think he's asking why it's better to have 2 cams vs one.
dirt-covered 91 SS prorally
pat richard roll cage, DMS 50mm, stickers...
SOLD :(

99 impreza RS
ver. 7 sti swap, ver. 6 RA suspension, JDM bodywork, rotated GT28rs
McRooster
In Neutral

Post by McRooster »

hi,
yea sorry should have cleared that up, why have 2 as its not necessary, 1 camshaft will do both intake and exhaust, whats the reason for having 1 shaft for intake and 1 for exhaust, other subaru
engines dont use this configuration, i.e. the wrx which is a DOHC.
Is there any advantage to having a quad cam???
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Less rotating mass per cam, therefore they can spin faster and get up to speed faster.

This extra room for play allows better control of both the intake and the exhaust valves (i.e. infinitely independently adjustable) and therefore creates a better breathing engine up top.

Quad-Cam = Dual Overhead Cam. The WRX motor is a quad cam. Your EJ20T is a DOHC. Our EJ22T's are SOHC, dual cam motors.

More cams are better for up-top breathability.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
McRooster
In Neutral

Post by McRooster »

Thanks for that, feel like a bit of a twit now lol.
cheers
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

This pretty much hold true for any car. The more cams and valves you have, the better your high-end breathability is going to be. The fewer cams and valves you have, the more punchy and torquey your engine will be at lower rpm's.
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
WRXdan
Second Gear

Post by WRXdan »

Here is a good article to understanding cams.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/camshaft.htm

You have better control over your valves when each cam is responsible for one job. SOHC has to work both I and E valves. Sometimes running SOHC can limit your cam profiles do to the size and duration of the cam lobes.
92 Turbo Legacy 4EAT
02 WRX - lightly modded (Gone but not forgotten)
EJ20TMAN
In Neutral

Post by EJ20TMAN »

Also another thing to be considered is valve angle, the wide angle of early quad cammed EJ's wouldnt be possible with a one cam per head set up
1990 GT wagon JDM, TD05H, FMIC, Bosch coils 4in twin split dump 3 in rest of system, lowered, manual conversion, 17's, 17psi boost :) , tints, intake res gone and loving it!!!
MY92
Second Gear

Post by MY92 »

After the BC/BF, Subaru stopped calling the boxer setup quad cam.
John

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/560635
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Just so you know, the USDM EJ22T is a SOHC engine.

I want, in the worst way, to buy a used WRX engine and do a top-end swap to convert my EJ22T to DOHC.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
aspect
First Gear

Post by aspect »

I had several people offer me 1998 JDM WRX heads for about $750AUD which is like $580usd if im not mistaken when I posted about it on the MRT forums. They bolt right up, same coolant passages and whatnot. You can also drop in most STi cams if you're looking for a more aggressive cam angle and higher lift valve operation.

Since then I've decided to just go with the phase I 2.5RS heads on the personal advice of mark ramirez.

99 impreza RS
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

I'd like to buy a COMPLETE WRX engine, do a longblock swap and hook it back up instead of peicing everything together.

It's unfortunate though, since the whole engine would be apart, It would be smart to re-do EVERYTHING at once. Plus, I doubt the stock ECU would be able to control the beast, so I'd need to go with some good engine management. And all of that would put me about 10k in the hole, and my tranny would still need lovin.

aspect
First Gear

Post by aspect »

Oh you mean just drop the ej20 into your legacy?

That's a WHOLE different project!

Really though, the legacy shortblock is much better, it just needs a little polish to make it run like a shiny new wrx engine!

ej22 + dohc heads > wrx ej20

stonger block, better pistons, more displacement...add a nice turbo and you're ready to spin tires.

I'm going with the new heads once I decide it's time for a rebuild, as the engine will be out of the car anyways. The amount of oil coming out of my PCV system is sending me a strong signal that I need a nice motor refresh!

99 impreza RS
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Phil, did you mean a short block EJ22 swap with a WRX? Redoing everything like seals and such is a very easy job and would be baqrely any time extra to swapping short blocks unless you were doing bottom end components.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
musketeerracing
First Gear

Post by musketeerracing »

I'm not sure anyone has really hit this question on the head. Basically, you want more valves per cylinder in order to improve head breathing. In order to maintain proper valve angle and cylinder dome, the valve stems go off the top of the engine at an angle away from each other. In order to articulate those stems, you have to make a mechanical connection to the camshaft. If there's one cam, you have to put a lot of lever between the cam and those valve stems to bridge that angle between the stems. THAT'S where the extra reciprocating weight comes from. More cams means less lever weight. More cams doesn't mean less cam weight. This weight is significant - this is the area that really limits your redline. When you over-rev the engine the common failure is valve float, which is thanks to too much weight in this system.

It's true that DOHC allows independent intake and exhaust variable valve timing, although I don't think that's the main reason we see it.

Another reason that manufacturers like DOHC for four (or five or more) valve engines is that the lobes on a SOHC have to be very narrow to articulate four valves per cylinder, increasing manufacturing costs and leading to possible failures.

More cams always better, unless you drive Mazdas.

ACP
ACP
www.musketeerracing.com
1991 Legacy SS 5MT Rally car (sold)
1993 Legacy SS 5MT Street car (selling)
1997 Lancer Evo IV RS Rally car (sold)
2006 Lancer Evo IX RS Rally car
2009 Lancer Evo X RS Rally car
1989 240SX SR20 Drift car
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Isn't valve float the overpowering of the valve springs by revving to high?

I didn't think it had anything to do with cam weight.

musketeerracing
First Gear

Post by musketeerracing »

The problem is that the spring doesn't return the valve to a closed position quickly enough. Although the cam lobe pulls itself out of the way in time, the rocker stays in contact with the valve stem even while the cam lifts off the rocker at the other end. If the rocker is longer, it's heavier, and THAT'S what the spring is fighting against.

CAM weight is not the problem: valvegear weight is the problem. More cams means lighter valvegear.

A
ACP
www.musketeerracing.com
1991 Legacy SS 5MT Rally car (sold)
1993 Legacy SS 5MT Street car (selling)
1997 Lancer Evo IV RS Rally car (sold)
2006 Lancer Evo IX RS Rally car
2009 Lancer Evo X RS Rally car
1989 240SX SR20 Drift car
aspect
First Gear

Post by aspect »

musketeerracing wrote:The problem is that the spring doesn't return the valve to a closed position quickly enough. Although the cam lobe pulls itself out of the way in time, the rocker stays in contact with the valve stem even while the cam lifts off the rocker at the other end. If the rocker is longer, it's heavier, and THAT'S what the spring is fighting against.

CAM weight is not the problem: valvegear weight is the problem. More cams means lighter valvegear.

A
Wow, that's a great explanation, thanks!

99 impreza RS