N/A EJ22 turbo conversion

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

fishheadback
In Neutral

N/A EJ22 turbo conversion

Post by fishheadback »

Ok, this is what i have going so far. I am going to run a tubular 4 to 1 WRX manifold and up-pipe, stock WRX turbo, 3in downpipe, WRX top mount intercooler with blow-off valve, 10lbs flywheel, WRX street/strip clutch, iridium plugs, and before long MSD DIS 2 ignition. I know my timing is going to have to be retarded around 20 degrees, but what I dont know what to do is with boost. From what I know, WRX wastegate actuators can only go down to about 12lbs, and I cant run 12lbs of boost. Will a boost controller let me crank it down to the 5 to 9 pounnds I need? And also I plan on running a rising rate fuel pressure regulator, and maybe a Apex-i S-AFC. I'm also not sure exactly how much larger injectors I need. I would really like to not go any more than 25% larger than stock because tuning will be so much more difficult. Will that give me the adjustability I need for fuel managment? If anyone has any good advice regarding these topics I would greatly appreciate it. Wish me luck on my project.

1992 Subaru Legacy sedan 5spd
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Hmm, the TMIC will require some firewall massaging.

10lb flywheel will be a pain in the ASS to drive daily, and the clutch will abuse the drivetrain with that light a flywheel.

I doubt the stock ECU will be able to compensate for boost, and the bottom end of the engine won't want to handle the boost for very long, ESPICALLY at such high compression ratios.

A MBC won't allow you to lower the boost to anything lower than wastegate boost (12psi in the WRX).

The Stock ECU, if it will even work properly with boost, will learn around the S-AFC, as well as any other piggyback units like the Emanage, or V-AFC.

Injectors are another problem, as there are no larger, drop in injectors that will work with our rails.

If you want to do this, you'd be better to swap a WRX motor and ECU into the car, or get a WRX. The first will be MUCH cheaper than the path you want to go. The second will prevent the inevitable breakage of 12 year old parts.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

I thought the TD04 in the WRX had a 9 psi wastegate actuator. :?
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
-K-
Third Gear

Post by -K- »

It's going to need a stand alone or Turbo ECU to run right. The big thing is that the NA engine won't do well with too much boost. I would look into a JDM EJ20T, Legacy Turbo EJ22T, or WRX engine, in that order. It's easy enough to get parts from Austraila, an ECU to run a 260hp JDM EJ20T should be no problem.
I might look into a front cut Liberty RS for a swap...

Oh, the flywheel would be fine to drive every day. I think it's easer to drive with mine now.
02 WRX Sedan, 5mt
93 Sport Sedan, 5mt
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

I think the revs would fall and rise to quickly with a 10 pound flywheel. If you didn't have a really grabby clutch, then you'd have some clutch-life issues.

My 14lb flywheel is perfect.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

Whats the stock flywheel weigh in at?
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
91SS 5MT awaiting engine rebuild and VF36...
92SS 4EAT - RIP :(
94SS 5MT4.11+rLSD 289k km: RobTune550,TD05-16g @ 18psi,FMIC,3"TBE,Forester lift
fishheadback
In Neutral

Post by fishheadback »

First off, thanks for the input. Now when you say that the stock ecu wont be able to coompensate for the boost? What ways will it not be adequate? I have found a turbo kit ( $2800) that runs 6 pounds of boost, and has an upgrade option of running 440cc injectors along with an Apex-i SAFC, is the ecu still goin to freak out with these add-ons?? I guess I'm just trying to find out exactly what is absolutly not goin to work. I bought a Legacy Turbo waterpump today, and I am trying to find a reasonable price for the Legacy turbo camshaft bearing cap, or the dealer name, camshaft support assembly (pt #13012AA060), for my turbo plumbing. I have already bought all of the main pieces, downpipe, manifold, turbo, etc. so I'm not lookin to swap yet. And is there any mod possible to lower the boost on my TD04??? Once again, thanks for the help!!!
98 Impreza RS EJ257nside
92 Legacy L Sedan
douglas vincent
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by douglas vincent »

Or you can do what I did on my NA, supercharge. I am going to be running 5-7 lbs of boost with a cost of only about $850 max cost. I am currently running about 3 lbs of boost and it is running perfect. To get higher boost levels I am working on a larger crank pulley.

Possibly a kit is in the future for about $2000-$2500 and is a pure bolt on 4 hour job. I am talking to suppliers already but this wont happen overnight of course.
Reddevil, Awaiting new heart, will it ever happen?
1990 wagon, EJ25 12.3 @ 116.5 FAST Family wagon getting new motor soon
1992 wagon, wifes daily, high compression
1992 Touring wagon, should I keep it?
-K-
Third Gear

Post by -K- »

At this piont I'd say buy a turbo long block, and a turbo ECU. I hate doing this to you but it will be worth it to do it right the first time.

You will also need a turbo front crossmember, it's notched to fit the up pipe.

I don't know how much the NA ECU will be able to work with boost, you don't have any safety margin in the engine internals to find out. I don't think you will be happy with that low boost for long once you get an idea what it could be.

There are ways to lower the wastegate setting. First call a good turbo shop and ask for a 6psi wastegate actuator. Not recomended: use a spring to pull the actuator open, working against the wastegate tension. So it opens with less pressure... Might be unstable, might get boost spikes, or inconsistent boost.
02 WRX Sedan, 5mt
93 Sport Sedan, 5mt
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

If you want to lower boost below the current wastegate's level, you either need a different wastegate or a replacement wastegate spring rated at a lower strength. When I had the Garrett T3-powered Saturn, I had to order a spring to lower the wastegate boost from 7lbs down to 3lbs, and then put a manual boost controller so I had the range I needed.
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
91SS 5MT awaiting engine rebuild and VF36...
92SS 4EAT - RIP :(
94SS 5MT4.11+rLSD 289k km: RobTune550,TD05-16g @ 18psi,FMIC,3"TBE,Forester lift
fishheadback
In Neutral

Post by fishheadback »

Ok how about this, i just found a JDM EJ20TT, minus the exhaust manifold, turbos and accesories. So its basically just a long block. Would i be able to run a 03 WRX ecu on this motor since im goin to run it with one TD04?? Also if that does work, will i have to run a WRX MAF along with two O2 sensors?? Should I just run the twin turbo ecu on it?? Is anyone ver familiar with this motor? Does it run lower compression than an EJ20T?? Sorry I ask so many questions, I just don't want to get started and never get it finished!!
98 Impreza RS EJ257nside
92 Legacy L Sedan
mTk
no title

Post by mTk »

I don't believe it's ever been proven that the ecu will learn around an afc..

MK
1992 BC672 AWD 5MT
aspect
First Gear

Post by aspect »

Running the TT ecu will be a better idea unless you like the idea of figuring out a custom wiring harness for the wrx ecu, if it is even possible for a new obd-2 ecu to run an old engine.

If you want to read up about JDM ej-series engines, try the forums over at www.libertyrsclub.org

You say you have a turbo kit for 2800...well you can buy a whole legacy turbo engine assembly for that price. Sure, you get an older turbo, but you'll still be running 13psi out of the box with NO issues. The legacy turbo shortblock has been proven to be one of the strongest engines subaru has produced...the N/A version on the other hand does not share the same important parts.

Either buy the 2800 turbo kit, and all the other parts, and be stuck at like 9psi unless you tear the engine down and replace the internals, or just get the turbo engine and with a new turbo, fuel stuffs, and an S-AFC you'll be able to run 25psi.

Of course, there are additional costs if you can't do the swap yourself, but there's plenty of information on here that should help out!
dirt-covered 91 SS prorally
pat richard roll cage, DMS 50mm, stickers...
SOLD :(

99 impreza RS
ver. 7 sti swap, ver. 6 RA suspension, JDM bodywork, rotated GT28rs
fishheadback
In Neutral

Post by fishheadback »

I didn't buy the $2800 turbo kit, i had just found one that bolts on the an ej22, without a new computer. Thats the main reason i brought it up. I have a tubular turbomanifold with up-pipe, TD04 turbo, 3" downpipe, street/ strip clutch, WRX intercooler w/BOV, iridium plugs, and a 10lbs flywheel.
98 Impreza RS EJ257nside
92 Legacy L Sedan
kelley
Vendor
Vendor

Post by kelley »

aspect wrote:.
just get the turbo engine and with a new turbo, fuel stuffs, and an S-AFC you'll be able to run 25psi.

!
I know the ej22g is a strong motor but I wouldn't run 25 psi with a piggy back s-afc. but thats just me.
91legacyman
First Gear

Post by 91legacyman »

man im gettin kinda worried i wanna go with a stock turbo set up for my n/a EJ22 will i have the same problems as fishhead , im looking for alittle more power but nuttin to crazy if im gonna have those same problems then i might as well buy a EJ thats allredy redy for turbo
dzx
Fifth Gear

Post by dzx »

it can be complicated
///M
'93 Legacy SS - part out
fishheadback
In Neutral

Almost Done!!!!!

Post by fishheadback »

OK guys, I'm almost done. I should have it up and running by October 13th. I've got the s-afc hooked up, super ITC hooked up{had problems with wiring but if anyone needs to know how to hook it up i have a wiring diagram for the N/A legacy}, SR20DET injectors installed and rewired, stock flywheel resurfaced, WRX tubular manifold installed, tdo4 wastegate modified with lighter spring, HKS VBC, 4an oil feed line, oil drain line ran into pan, coolant lines ran to turbo bypassing throttle body, GReddy boost and egt gauges installed on pillar, phantom air/fuel gauge installed on steering column, waiting for clutch that should be here saturday or monday, new transmission just installed with a quart of syncromesh tranny fluid that everyone says works well. WRX top mount modified along with firewall to fit<polished endtank!!> 3" downpipe, JDM headlights, corner lights, and sidemarkers. New tail lights, WRX coilovers, and I think thats about everything I've done in the past 3 months. I'm planning on pulling a few dyno runs in Tulsa at the end of the month, maybe a trip to the track. I'll post some pictures or just add a link so you can check out the pics. almost done!!! Wish me luck!!! :D :D
98 Impreza RS EJ257nside
92 Legacy L Sedan
fishheadback
In Neutral

Pictures!!!

Post by fishheadback »

Heres a few pics. Still dont have the motor in it and I dont think im gonna paint it till after winter. Don't want someone to hit my fresh paint due to bad roads. Couple pics showing before and after the springs and the red fender is the color I'm gonna paint it, little variation of Toyota Super Red II. Think thats it for now.

98 Impreza RS EJ257nside
92 Legacy L Sedan