Front sway bar upgrade- have you done this???

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

dscoobydoo
Fifth Gear

Front sway bar upgrade- have you done this???

Post by dscoobydoo »

OK, there are various rear upgrades- from our stock 18 up to 24.
There are also front upgrades to 19mm.

Has anyone done the front?

If so- what were your feelings on it?

Thanks

:D
Yes I have too many Subarus
No you can't have one
05 GD-STI
01- RS- Swapped-07 STI
00- GF
93 SS- "the original Robtune" (now in new hands)
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

I say yeah, once you have stiffer struts, springs, and strut tops, bigger wheels with sticky tires, strut braces, new swaybar links and mounts, and a bigger rear swaybar.

Otherwise, it'd be understeer and uneven tire wear ahoy if you just put a huge front bar on.

From what I've learned, one of the best ways to modify how the car handles is to vary the sizes of the swaybars in relation to each other, but to make the car handle well, you need to stiffen up the whole car and suspension. Putting on a bigger rear bar will make the car more neutral/ prone to over steer, but it won't be able to pull any more lateral g's, hence the whole "band-aid" thing.
peter@functionauto.com
Warp3
First Gear

Post by Warp3 »

I was quite happy with the results when I upgraded the front bar on my 2.5RS. Yes, it does increase steady state understeer, but a stiffer front bar also improves turn-in and tends to reduce body roll more than a rear bar (partly because more weight is in the front). Also, due to the reduction in body roll, even though there is a slight increase in understeer at the limit, the limit is generally a bit higher to start with.
Shane
2006 Subaru WRX TR
1989 Toyota MR2
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Jamal - The sway bar isn't a 'band-aid' because it doesn't allow the pulling of more lateral G's. It's a band-aid because there's a point in suspension tuning, where sway bars are solely to control the realms of constant variations in suspension geometry. You can engineer the body roll out of a car with the right geometry, but as things change due to load, some slight aid is necessary (for a street car that sees any and every condition a car is designed to see.) They are band-aid's because, unlike a good setup, a sway bar is a trade off.

A good setup will perform well in all conditions. A mediocre setup with a bigass sway bar will loose significant agility in less-than-perfect conditions.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
dscoobydoo
Fifth Gear

Post by dscoobydoo »

My intention in posting this is to inquire on people who have done the mod. There are so few people who have. My 01 Rs has pretty much every suspension mod except that one. I have a older 90's maxima, and it puts out alot of understeer, but it has 225hp on tap, so I can throttle steer it a bit, my truck is pure oversteer, NOW, I was trying to go with a pure balance on the legacy. SO- I was wondering if anyone has done the mod, and if so, if it added to understeer a bit, and how much.
Thanks
Yes I have too many Subarus
No you can't have one
05 GD-STI
01- RS- Swapped-07 STI
00- GF
93 SS- "the original Robtune" (now in new hands)
kelley
Vendor
Vendor

Post by kelley »

I am currerntly using a cusco front sway bar and cusco solid endlinks. it does make a differance. my car does not understeer, but I have done a fair bit of change to the suspension.
I am changing to a differant bar that I like better. just let me know if you are interested in this.
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

...just when I thought I had things figured out. :?
peter@functionauto.com