EJ22T peeing oil onto manifold

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

musketeerracing
First Gear

EJ22T peeing oil onto manifold

Post by musketeerracing »

OK - I know this is the dumbest type of question. I'm really asking for thoughts before the surgery begins:

Bought the pretty good 91 SS 4EAT for laughably little on the basis that it's peeing oil from the right hand head area onto the manifold.

Now I have it on the street in from of my place and I can tell you that:

1. The oil flow is serious - falling on the manifold so fast that it's smoking and is i think unsafe to drive.

2. Plugs seem fine, though.

3. Super lumpy running at both idle and at higher rpm. Chasiss ear reveals lots of head noise from that head, sounds like from the rear valves.

4. Even with cold engine, clean oil deposits can be felt on the bottom of the head if you reach around.

5. Timing belt cover is cracked and belt exposed at that same corner, but I can't feel any oil deposits in the bottom there ie oil doesn't seem to be coming from the cam pulley end.

SO, any bets before I begin surgery?

a) violently blown head gasket?
b) cracked head?
c) broken valve or rocker (makes sense for the running, but not the leak)
d) The Curse of Mount Fuji (Heavy Industry)
e) all of the above
f) other
ACP
www.musketeerracing.com
1991 Legacy SS 5MT Rally car (sold)
1993 Legacy SS 5MT Street car (selling)
1997 Lancer Evo IV RS Rally car (sold)
2006 Lancer Evo IX RS Rally car
2009 Lancer Evo X RS Rally car
1989 240SX SR20 Drift car
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

f) other

check the valve cover gaskets first.
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
musketeerracing
First Gear

You think oil leak is unrelated to completely lumpy running? (Maybe)

And can the valve cover really leak that much? Sorry these are my first boxers.

And, last, are the valve cover gaskets available on their own?

Thanks as alway, guys.
ACP
www.musketeerracing.com
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

I doubt it, but anything is possible

i would think so, but I dont know how much it's leaking

yes.
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

right hand side facing the engine? (pass or driver would work better ;))
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Valve gaskets are cheap and very easy. I don't know if they come with the gaskets for the 3 bolts that hold them on each side, but get those too if they don't. All you need is a 10mm socket or wrench. FSM spec for torque on the bolts is 3.6 lbs, but I did mine to 5. They all leak from the valve cover gaskets and it doesn't even have to be much to coat the bottom of the engine and the manifold. Gravity is going to always be trying to squeeze oil out and there's also the PCV that runs through the covers. A cracked head is very unlikely as are the HGs to fail in that manner.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
musketeerracing
First Gear

OK - cover coming off as soon as I can get the gaskets. Who do I go to for supply? Anyone know the part numbers?

Passenger side is what I mean by right hand. Right hand as you're sitting in the car. I tend not to use "passenger side" as fully half of the rally cars that I work with are RHD imports, and we're drivers of very little brain...
ACP
www.musketeerracing.com
professor
Third Gear

don't fret, yet...

Post by professor »

It doesn't take much oil to raise a big cloud of smoke. The gasket could easily account for it. The valve noise is likely not related to the leak, check the forums for bleeding of the hydraulic adjusters, and if no go there, you may have a weak oil pump or clogged passages to the adjusters, or lastly a lot of wear in there somewhere.
That beer you are drinking cost more than my car
musketeerracing
First Gear

Yeah - I'm wondering if the leak and the noise may be unrelated.

But I've had sticky lifters before. This is a bigger noise I think. Real clackity-clackity and engine squirming around like it's running on 3cyl. But that last thing could be spark loss, too....? Exhaust is not smoky.
ACP
www.musketeerracing.com
dzx
Fifth Gear

Post by dzx »

if you have a clicking noise its most likely really low on oil and the lifters are making the noise. The rough running could be the timing is off. I just replaced the front crank seal on my car and one of the cams was retarded a little which when i fixed its timing it runs a lot smoother now, doesnt have the low end torque that it was getting tho lol. Bottom line, i'd check the timing on the cams and the oil.
musketeerracing
First Gear

Oil level is fine - first thing I checked. And the only way the timing could be off is if the belt slipped a tooth, right? Is there a marker on the cam pulley for TDC?

A
ACP
www.musketeerracing.com
professor
Third Gear

Post by professor »

when you are in there replacing the gasket, take a good look and make sure the valves are doing what they are supposed to do, with an assistant cranking it over a bit (pull the plug wires or coil wire so it doesn't start up in your face !) If one or more valves are broken or the guides are ungodly shot you may be able to see that.

If OK reassemble and check the compression on all four to see if the "trouble" cylinder is low.

Before even starting, check the operation of the PCV valve, make sure you have manifold vacuum there. If stuck closed it will pressurize the crankcase and top end, and create leaks, speed them up, or even blow seals if real bad. It sucks to replace a seal and blow it back out for lack of a good $7 part. In fact just chucking it and replacing it would probably be a good idea.
That beer you are drinking cost more than my car
mhrallyteam
First Gear

Post by mhrallyteam »

Hi Andrew, happy to see you in the magnificient legacy world!

I'm one of Rejean Losier service guy, i could give you a hand for the ej22t when you'll be around the mitsubishi dealer.

Let me know when you'll come down Mat
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

4 main things could be causing the smoking on the passenger side manifold. 1. The valve cover gasket, it is the most likely culprit. Mine leaked and it would smoke really bad sometimes. 2. The rear cam seal O-ring. 3. The turbos oil return line. If this is leaking on the up-pipe or manifold then you'll get an extreme amount of smoke. 4. The oil feed line. Also can cause lots of smoke if leaking.

Hope this is helpfull
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]