wheels-and-rims.com any good?

Where the power meets the road.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

wheels-and-rims.com any good?

Post by evolutionmovement »

Looking to get these and have the center powdercoated gray or bronze or something:

They have by far the cheapest price on them, but I don't know if they're trustworthy. Anyone?

They're 16 x 6.5 with a 48mm offset. That should be fine, right? They come from the Forester anyway.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

you are aware that's each wheel right?

somehow I don't see $767.40 shipped being cheaper than searching for them on other forums.
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

+48 for a 6.5" rim seems... excessive? My new wheels are +48 for a 7.5" rim.

But yea, they will work. I've never seen those wheels before... ever. Neat looking :)
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

They are an option for the Forester, but Ira Subaru didn't even know about them. I've just seen them on two Foresters.

I thought they were expensive, too, until I started looking around and there's also a 10% discount for 4 or more wheels. You can't get anything decent for much cheaper. I'll leave the generic Pep Boys wheels to the ricers with Hondas. Most prices I see for these wheels are double. Anything even marginally acceptable on Tirerack.com are like $130+ each so I don't think it's too much and I'll definitely be one of the only old Legacys with classic 'Torque Thrust' style wheels. I guess I could look for used, but the only Subaru options aren't even close to what I want or even much cheaper usually.

I don't think I'm getting them powder coated, though, as the local prices are too steep (like $100ea!). I may just paint them.

So nobody's heard of these dudes?

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

+48 sounds low to me, but hey if they're oem they can't be wrong... or can they?

How about some other wheels steve? WRX, RS, GT, OBS, etc all can be had for cheaper than that, do you not like the way those look or something?

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

I like the RS wheels (either style), but can't find them and I'm unsure about trusting used wheels. The WRX wheels are OK, but they're near $500 wherever I see them and I don't want to look like everyone else here - if I get a CES exhaust with a TD05 I'll really look like a copy-cat dork! The GT and OBS wheels don't really do it for me either. Maybe the GT wheels if I had a sedan, but I'm not sure with the wagon and I prefer something more aggressive. I also like the fact that these are a little old-school looking and it makes me think of my days with muscle cars and further seperates me from the rice patties. Maybe I should paint white letters on the tires.

I thought the +48 was a little weird, but would work. I just wanted to get some other opinions. I suppose I have my fenders rolled and there's plenty of room on the inside to the strut so I shouldn't worry. I hope they don't stick too far in as I love the way my current rims are flush.

Steve
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

damn i had like 7-8 links of wrx wheels but lost is all, at anyrate, ebay and nabisco baby :) find some locals

BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Rota Slipstreams :)

What size/offset are your wheels now?

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

No idea, but they're a little low as they're flush-fit with 195s. I'lll have to take them off and measure them. Maybe at work tonight.

The Rotas look new and a little weak anyway. I need something that can take a pounding and OEM wheels are usually more on the side of tough than light. I doubt the Rotas would've survived what my present rims have in one piece. Hopefully I won't need that level of durability, but I like the insurance. And if I ever hook this thing up and get it in the Subaru magazine I'll have a set of rims most have never seen.

I take it I'm the only one that like's them, though, as everyone's suggesting other wheels.

Steve
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

If you want a really nice wheel that's really light and strong, pick up a set of EDM WRX wheels. You can get them for around 600 if you look around on the used boards (used wheels can be a bargain).

I'm not sure that I'm a fan of bullit style wheels on a suby. Do you have a full-shot of them on a Forester or something?

THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

they look alright, I was just suggesting you buy them used and save a bunch of money.

evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Even the dealer has no pictures of these on a Forester. I don't know where the two I saw got them (which dealer, that is), but I never got a picture. I thought they looked great on the Forester, but I'm willing to take a chance maybe on the Legacy. I just don't trust used wheels and hate to pay big money for something that might not be perfect. I'd rather pay a little more for something new. If the EDM WRX wheels were like $200-300 I'd take the chance, but shipping international must be expensive. I also don't trust buying things from individuals as much and it's always more of a hassle.

I like the flat-blade Forester wheels a lot, too, but they're the same price. If I saw them cheaper I'd probably go with them.

Steve
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

evolutionmovement wrote: if I get a CES exhaust with a TD05 I'll really look like a copy-cat dork!

Steve
Not even! It's one hell of a combo. I wouldn't feel weird about it at all. It's a tried and true combination. If you're real worried about it though you could always go with an 18G instead of a 16G! :twisted: Now that'd be super sweet! :D
Last edited by legacy92ej22t on Sun Oct 03, 2004 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

What don't you trust if I may ask? Your wheels are used :)

BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Warp3
First Gear

Post by Warp3 »

http://www.aaarims.com lists a wheel that sounds like it would describe these perfectly and is listed as the stock wheel from 2001 and 2002 Foresters (oddly enough it's the only wheel on the page they don't have a picture for :roll: ). The description is 16x6.5, 5 rounded spokes, +48 offset. The shipped price is like $799, though, so it sounds like the other site is still cheaper.

Also, I noticed that pretty much all the Forester rims they listed are +48 offset for 6.5" width. 48mm is about the lowest that Subaru generally goes on their OE wheels (48-55mm is the standard range for most OE 5x100 Subaru wheels). I seriously doubt there would be any issue with the +48 offset (especially since they are only 6.5" wide wheels). (Of course, most of my experience with this is GC/GM Imprezas, not 1st gen Legacies... :) )
Shane
2006 Subaru WRX TR
1989 Toyota MR2
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Hardy - my wheels are used and they're junk. That's why I need new ones now (as opposed to when I get the turbo in and need bigger brakes). That's why I don't trust buying them used, either.

Phil - those are like double what I think is expensive! I also don't want bigger than 16's. The roads and weather is too brutal here for anything bigger. Truthfully, I wouldn't mind sticking to 15s, but they won't clear bigger brakes. I don't care to fit ALMS-power brakes as I have little complaint with the stock system. I just want something a little better to match the power and that will take the heavy braking with good longevity. Not to mention that tires will be even more and I go through a lot of those.

Steve
ericS2the6
First Gear

Post by ericS2the6 »

those wheels came on 2001/2002 Forester S models only (not S+ and not L models)
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

I saw that Ford Tauruses have a similar styled optional wheel.

I'm going with the flat-spokes. I found a JY near me that has four of them (supposedly) in great shape. I figure it's worth a look.

Steve