horse power...

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

standard air intake or modded??

Poll ended at Mon Oct 18, 2004 6:18 am

standard
25%
modded
75%

Total votes: 8

hack0r
First Gear

horse power...

Post by hack0r »

does any one know how much horse power a 92 subaru legacy manual intercooled turbo 2L DOHC? i dont have a manual... grrr
if your wheels arnt smokin your not driving it fast enought!!!
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

im sorry but i'm confused by the poll
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
jake15
Fourth Gear

Post by jake15 »

i think he wants to know which option will yeild more horsepower.
90' legacy built ej257 gt30r 6spd r180 and brembos Bitches 402whp @22psi :D -sexy red
94' Impreza wagon AWD 2.2ltr rally wagon FTW!
Legacytuner
First Gear

Post by Legacytuner »

Well, a "modded" intake can yield more gains than stock and smooth out response. but gains are small and barely noticeable.
Proud owner of a 1991 Silver 5MT
Gold wrx wheels,Straight Exhaust, DNA Boost Controler 12 Psi, Ngk's, De-Snorked, Carbon fiber hood scoop in the werks
1991 White 5MT(Sold to Friend), AKA BINFORD

"KEEP IT REAL, KEEP IT SUBARU"
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

modded one is way better then a stock one.
1993 Subaru Legacy 44B STi 4Cam 16Valve Turbo Intercooled AWD
EJ22T, STi EJ207 DOHC, Vi-PEC (Spare Autronic) @ 426.20HP / 394.94ft lb @ 00psi
Tuned By: Franz Diebold ( DIEBOLD AUTOSPORT ) @ NVauto
scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by scottzg »

Well, i guess i have to defend my voting for stock. The gains are minimal because your turbo will suck air through the box just like it blows it into the engine. The long intake runner path allows a better flow of air (more "current") and so will provide more off boost torque. The long intake runner path ensures your maf is getting accurate readings. Many modded intake designs pull hot air from under the hood. The less you mess with it the less likely you are to mess something up.

Certainly, the modded intake box is a surefire route to more butt dyno power. The off boost power will suck, and so when the turbo finally spools you will get that delightful turbo kick. Unfortunately, all you've done is kick yourself back to stock on boost power. You've lost more in 750-2000rpms than you could hope to make up at higher ones.

In a highly modified car the airbox might become a restriction, at that point, mod away.

If you want some cool intake noise, pop off your passenger wheel, remove that plastic fender lining, and pop out the snorkus in the intake. It's just a silencer; you'll get all the hp gain you can hope to just by doing that.
[url=http://www.thawa.net/gallery/albums/album108/DSCF0330.jpg]90 legacy of awesomeness[/url]
rsstiboy
Second Gear

Post by rsstiboy »

a modded intake will yeild far better throttle response, i have played around with both and sticking your pod air filter inside your front guard where the snokus is gives best results followed by a 3" pipe feeding directly into the turbo.
MY02 B4 Liberty, 2 1/2" off the primary with splitter, 3" off the secondary, 3" the rest of the way, completely stainless, k&n filter, ECUtek 3, 500HP walbro, 173kw@all4
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

boostjunkie's monster Legacy Turbo with 17lbs of boost and an estimated 250whp had a stock airbox with a K&N panel filter IIRC...
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

I think he also had the bottom half of the air box cut away too though IIRC. :)
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]