need help with ej22t compression numbers

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

ej22t-dp
In Neutral

need help with ej22t compression numbers

Post by ej22t-dp »

looked @ a car today ... owner had it recently serviced and also checked the compression numbers :

cly 1-4 : 50,85,65,50

the car doesn't idle that smoothly, and the guy who owned the car told me the idle speed screw is seized, so it can't be adjusted :?

don't know a whole bunch about this car...
opinions anyone ?
is it fixable ?

btw car is turbo

thx guys ped
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

the idle speed screw shouldn't be adjusted anyway. that compression sounds relly low.
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

I agree those numbers seem low but every compression tool is different so it's hard to say. What is more alarming to me is the discrepency (spelling?) between cylinders.

When I checked my compression I had 158 on cylinders 1-3 and 68 on #4 (I'm currently looking for a new motor). :(
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

You should want about 160, but as Matt said, it's the percentage difference across the cylinders that I find alarming. Did the guy do it right? Asuming he did, it sounds like at least bad 2 bad HGs. Worst case bad/sticking valves and damaged pistons or rings. Does it smoke blue?

My guess is the bad idle is more than an idle adjustment. These cars shouldn't have their idle adjusted anyway. Not that it matters, but I doubt it's even seized.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
ej22t-dp
In Neutral

Post by ej22t-dp »

Well i picked up the car, i definatly know the engine isn't healthy but the body of this car was MINT, frame had no rust, interior was like new etc ... for $1200 cnd i think it's decent.

well the guy took it to a service shop, and had it done there
don't know the place he did it @, but i'm looking at an 11 page service report done on his car ( also fixed brakes, suspension etc )... what i'm trying to say is .. it doesn't look like some ghetto shop receipt, so i assume it was done right...

the report says :

Check cause of engine not running properly on all cylinders
report found : low compression and intake vacuum being low and unstable

removed, test and re-install spark plugs, check compression ( see comments )

comments : 50,85,65,50

------------------------

doesn't smoke blue, checked it when i turned the car on and let it idle and after i drove it hard.

planning to rebuild the car over the winter anyways so it's more reliable come summer

just on a side not
i love this car, it's pretty fast for it's size, nice and comfortable .. i'm lov'n it

had an s13 a couple of years ago ( b4 240's started getting popular )
then had a ghetto 89 rolla that died on me
now i have this beauty :lol:

-ped
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

The body's the most important thing. If you think it's fast now, just wait.

Rebuilding these engines is easy and I'm sure whatever it is won't warrant a new block or probably even heads.

The blue smoke thing doesn't mean much as I don't think these cars obviously blow it even when they are burning it as when my exhaust valve went the car was drinking oil like a cheap slut yet showed no noticeable smoke.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

where you from in canada ej22t-dp
1993 Subaru Legacy 44B STi 4Cam 16Valve Turbo Intercooled AWD
EJ22T, STi EJ207 DOHC, Vi-PEC (Spare Autronic) @ 426.20HP / 394.94ft lb @ 00psi
Tuned By: Franz Diebold ( DIEBOLD AUTOSPORT ) @ NVauto
ej22t-dp
In Neutral

Post by ej22t-dp »

toronto 8)

btw, anyone know where to purchase GOOD rebuild kits or parts for the engine ?

the previous owner of this car didn't fill it with premium gas, so i'm preping for the worst...

i'm not looking to boost the engine, i just wanna restore it...
can someone point me in the right direction ?
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

subaruparts.com. OEM much cheaper than a regular dealer. If the pistons are bad you may want to shop around for custom better ones as the price difference may not be much from stock.

Steve