Intermitant dead miss

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

AZJEFFRO
In Neutral

Intermitant dead miss

Post by AZJEFFRO »

at idle and above. Not your lean miss, it's more like pulled a sparkplug wire off miss !! Only when hot after driving then sitting for awhile. New Plugs, Fuel Filter, PCV valve, injector cleaner. It seems to be #1 cyl. I pulled off the wires at the coil one at a time, #1 makes no diff. Ohmed the wires all OK. Ckecked plugs OK. checked injectors OK. Started it up, runs fine !! Aaaaarrrrggggghhhhh !!!!! it's driving me nuts!!

Oh yeah, it's a 90 Legacy wgn. Auto trans.
professor
Third Gear

Post by professor »

pull the wire off the plug when this is happening and stick another spark plug on the end of the wire. Best done in a dark garage or at dusk.
if the plug isn't sparking (remember to ground the plug body to metal) and you don't see any sparks flying around the other end of the wire, then there must not be any spark or it is not making it through the wire. bad wire or bad ignitor

ohming wires will tell you if one is really bad but not much more
That beer you are drinking cost more than my car
AZJEFFRO
In Neutral

Post by AZJEFFRO »

I replaced the plugs and wires, still does it ! Only after it's hot and has sat for awhile. I checked for codes in the ECU. NONE . I don't think it's a fuel pressure problem, because it starts right up. Maybe a fuel injector starting to flake out??
tris91ricer
Title Whore

Post by tris91ricer »

since you know how to check the juice running thru all that stuff, see what you've got running thru the injectors... try this thread:

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=17944
vrg3 wrote:Yes, the ignitor is basically two big power transistors, but it's just responsible for ignition, not the injectors.

The injectors are driven directly by power transistors inside the ECU.
What kind of ignition do you have in there? try another ignition system.. new coil maybe? Spring for the upgraded Diamond Coil Pack. That can be found on 5MTs and Turbos. rare on an NA Auto.
[b]'92 L Sedan[/b]
EJ20g 4.11 5sp LSD

[quote]e46 owners tend to be twats.
[/quote]
tris91ricer
Title Whore

Post by tris91ricer »

Do you smell gas at all?
Mileage been dropping?
Anything out of the ordinary other than this? Battery draining? New everything is good, no matter what..
[b]'92 L Sedan[/b]
EJ20g 4.11 5sp LSD

[quote]e46 owners tend to be twats.
[/quote]
AZJEFFRO
In Neutral

Post by AZJEFFRO »

I have the stock Hitachi coil. When I pulled the plug wires off of the coil there was ALOT of spark at the coil. I have a new battery.. When I checked the injectors they were all clicking. (while the problem was occuring) . Next step i guess is to ohm and volt check all the injectors and conectors.