Turbo upgrade

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

legacy13
In Neutral

Turbo upgrade

Post by legacy13 »

Can anyone tell me where i can get parts to upgrade the turbo on my 92 legacy SS. If i'm not mistaken, the current turbo is an IHI VF11. I'd like to upgrade the turbo since i know there is turbo damage. any info on where i can get parts or anything pertaining to it. Thanks!
Think smart, Drive sideways.
Dorifuto
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

There aren't really any drop-in replacements, but people have swapped in TD04 turbos from WRXes for mild upgrades with some work. People have also swapped in big turbos like the TD05-16G and the VF-series turbos that WRX owners like to use. You can do a search on some of these terms to find information on it. They really do require some engine management changes though.

The simplest and most cost-effective way to go would be to buy the used stock turbo Dave's selling and just swap it in:

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=18502

How do you know your turbo's damaged? If you can have your car off the road for a little while you might be able to just rebuild the turbo you already have.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
legacy13
In Neutral

Post by legacy13 »

The reason i know the turbo is damaged is because the kid who had the car before me was retarded. He ran the car for 6 months with no oil return line, and then for another month with no air filter because "it was so much faster". unfortunately, the legacy paid the price of his arogancy. so now i'm trying to fix-er-up and get her looking and running beautifully.
Think smart, Drive sideways.
Dorifuto
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

No oil return line? How'd he manage to do that? The oil return line's really hard to reach.

I can't imagine a turbo surviving for more than a few dozen miles without oil flow.

I'm glad you rescued the car from that kid.

Unless you're really into doing some fabrication and custom work, I'd recommend picking up DLC's turbo and swapping it in. You'll learn how everything fits together and then you'll be well-prepared for the massaging required for the turbo upgrade later on.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
Warp3
First Gear

Post by Warp3 »

The 91 Sport Sedan I recently bought had a seized turbo...now I've got a TD05H-16G from Deadbolt Speed installed (one of his new "bolt-on" versions that has a rotated compressor outlet so you don't have to rework the turbo to throttle-body piping like you do with the standard TD05H-16G).

Here is the turbo (scroll to the bottom of the page for the new "bolt-on" version):
http://www.deadboltspeed.com/td05.htm
Shane
2006 Subaru WRX TR
1989 Toyota MR2
azn2nr
Fifth Gear

Post by azn2nr »

wow. judgeing from that pic its a little over rotated.
-jason
[quote="Scoobyniteowl"] Chasin' @$$ is a great form of exercise and if you do get any, then that is more exercise[/quote]
Warp3
First Gear

Post by Warp3 »

Yeah, I thought that too, but maybe the pic just doesn't match the description or something...regardless he does offer one with the stock compressor outlet orientation. :)
Shane
2006 Subaru WRX TR
1989 Toyota MR2
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Yeah, that picture was just the very first attempt.
-K-
Third Gear

Post by -K- »

I would recomend doing a turbo and intercooler at the same time.
If you get a turbo that's made to work with the stock pipes it'll be hard to make a top mount fit.
Plus what are you going to do with a big turbo and no IC?
Save up if you have to but do it at the same time.
02 WRX Sedan, 5mt
93 Sport Sedan, 5mt