Soobie noobie

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

mrkingers
In Neutral

Soobie noobie

Post by mrkingers »

Just bought a nice 92 Legacy L, AWD 5sp manual.
I'm very happy with it.
A quick question....How can I 'easily' make it sound a bit more Subaru like? It actually sounds ok, but I'd like it to sound a bit more agressive..
Thanks
1992 Legacy L AWD
2.2L MPFI 16V
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Sound more Subaru like? Do you mean you want it to sound like the bastard offspring of a tractor and a lawnmower? :lol:

I'm not sure how to make them sound cool, but I've heard a few WRXs around here go by sounding awesome (very unSubaru, at least in a traditonal sense).

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Brat4by4
Stratified

Post by Brat4by4 »

He's referring to the "boxer growl". Part of the sound can be had with an open intake. You are probably hearing WRX's with straight through mufflers.
1993 WMP BC6 5MT EJ22T 9psi 3.9:1 213k 205/55R16

62.6 m/s @ 0.66 bar. Gotta love boost. :)
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Take the snorkus out of the passenger front fender. That will give you some slight top-end power, and also make it sound really nice, as I understand. I haven't done it myself, but a few say it's a worthwhile mod.

What's funny is, now that I have the XT, my Legacy sounds like a Honda to me. Waaay too quiet. The XT really sounds like a Subaru!! Really growls when you get on it... :mrgreen:
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Intake and exhaust. The snorkus removel will make a difference. An exhaust upgrade would make a bigger difference. A straight through muffler with straight through resonator would give you a real aggresive sound without being too loud.
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
mrkingers
In Neutral

Snorkus

Post by mrkingers »

As I said, I'm new to Subaru.....Snorkus???
I've read a lot of posts on this site, but honestly, I'd need step by step instructions on the snorkus removal.....I haven't got a clue.! hahaha
1992 Legacy L AWD
2.2L MPFI 16V
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Any car that has a intake resonator in the fender has what is affectionately called a "snorkus." I would assume its name is such because the air has to travel through a rather convoluted path, like a nose, to get into it and then go through the intake. It is a bit restrictive, but it keeps water out of the intake, and also keeps it quiet.

Don't worry, you would have to do some major river-fording to still get water in there even with the snorkus removed. It should have similar benefits of a cone air filter without the problem of sucking hot air out of the engine bay...
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
sktngisnotacrime
In Neutral

snorkus removal

Post by sktngisnotacrime »

when removing the snorkus, the air box should be left alone, correct?
Legacy
mrkingers
In Neutral

ok, step by step.

Post by mrkingers »

Who's willing to talk me through it?
I'm a fast learner.! hahaha
Thanks.
1992 Legacy L AWD
2.2L MPFI 16V
scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by scottzg »

well, there's a complete writeup at www.scoobymods.com, but im partial to the lazy "slide the booger over" method. There is a screw with a bushing, and i think another screw that is visible when you remove the airbox. just take out the bushing and push really hard on the place where the snorkus attaches to the airbox. You can slide it off center of the hole where the snorkus peeks through, and pick up the gains without having to take out the plastic trim and the wheel and all that other jive. I haven't done the job in forever, so i cant be more specific, but im sure you can figure it out.
[url=http://www.thawa.net/gallery/albums/album108/DSCF0330.jpg]90 legacy of awesomeness[/url]
mrkingers
In Neutral

Hey thanks,

Post by mrkingers »

I'll try your method tomorrow....
1992 Legacy L AWD
2.2L MPFI 16V