Rear wiper on sedan?

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Rear wiper on sedan?

Post by greg donovan »

i know EU wrx sedan and coupes had a rear window wiper. did the 1st gen legacies in EU and Japan have them too?

anyone put one on a sedan here in US?

i have been spoiled by driving wagons and HBs and hate not being able to see cleary out my rear window in my sedan.

is this even possible?
96 Impreza L sedan
97 legacy outback limited
00 Impreza RS sedan
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

I know for sure that in Japan at least some BCs had rear wipers.

I would love a rear wiper on my sedan. It sucks not being able to see out the back in the rain. One day I'll try.

It'd probably make more sense to rig something up with domestic parts than to try to source the correct parts from overseas. I've heard mixed advice on modifying automotive glass. Some people say you can drill through it if you're careful; others say it'll just shatter. Some say if you bore through it with a little friction, like by sticking a wooden dowel in the chuck of an electric drill, you can do it. Some say the rear window is different from the other glass, so the advice you hear might be all wrong.

But it seems like it might be possible to modify the sedan's rear glass, or get custom rear glass made, and then adapt the parts from a BF.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
tris91ricer
Title Whore

Post by tris91ricer »

I'd been thinking about this, too, considering I live in the rainiest state in the nation.. plus, it's a pretty tyte thing to have. It can' t be mounted to the roof? Do you really have to drill the glass?
[b]'92 L Sedan[/b]
EJ20g 4.11 5sp LSD

[quote]e46 owners tend to be twats.
[/quote]
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

I suppose you could mount it wherever you want... but it seemed to me that it would fit most nicely right on the hat shelf and poking through the glass.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
tris91ricer
Title Whore

Post by tris91ricer »

mm.. okay. I guess either way you do it, you'd have to be careful of getting seal just right, or you risk getting water either in the roof, or thru the glass...
[b]'92 L Sedan[/b]
EJ20g 4.11 5sp LSD

[quote]e46 owners tend to be twats.
[/quote]
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

to bad japanese glass would never make it here in one piece.

probably the best way to do it would be to get a spare rear sedan window from the salvage yard and an assembly from a wagon and do it off of the car and then have a shop swap the window out.
96 Impreza L sedan
00 Impreza RS sedan
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, Greg.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

If you find a big enough yard, you could probably experiment with drilling with a corldess drill.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
eastbaysubaru
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by eastbaysubaru »

^LOL.

I've always bitched about how my wife's RS doesn't have a rear wiper. It truly sucks if you live where it rains a lot.

-Brian
'04 PSM FXT
mikec
Third Gear

Post by mikec »

evolutionmovement wrote:If you find a big enough yard, you could probably experiment with drilling with a corldess drill.

Steve
Thats an awesome idea!! It wouldn't even have to be a Subaru :twisted:
"That shouldn't be a problem, since I do regularly visit the realm of subatmospheric manifold pressures." -- vrg3
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Steve - Yeah, I was thinking about that... But it might be worth talking to someone who specializes in automotive glass. If the cost to custom-make the necessary piece isn't too high, then it'd be nice to have someone else responsible for doing it right.
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

vrg3 wrote:Steve - Yeah, I was thinking about that... But it might be worth talking to someone who specializes in automotive glass. If the cost to custom-make the necessary piece isn't too high, then it'd be nice to have someone else responsible for doing it right.
thats what i was thinking. i would think that if i could talk a place into doing it for under 300 it would be worth it.
96 Impreza L sedan
00 Impreza RS sedan
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

Not gonna happen guys, your back window is tempered glass like the side windows. You cant drill through that.
-Mike

2011 Infiniti G37x Sedan - Current
2007 Ducati 800ss - Current
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (White)
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (Silver)
2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
Brat4by4
Stratified

Post by Brat4by4 »

Even if you taped the window before you drilled? Has anyone tried Rain-X on the rear window to keep the water moving off of it?

I know in my car above 60 mph I don't even need the wipers with the way the water streams off the windshield.
1993 WMP BC6 5MT EJ22T 9psi 3.9:1 213k 205/55R16

62.6 m/s @ 0.66 bar. Gotta love boost. :)
90LegAWD
First Gear

Post by 90LegAWD »

yes, use rain-X. no need for a wiper then
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Rain-X-type stuff helps, but it's not the same.

Mike - Thanks for squashing our dreams. :(

;)

What are your thoughts on custom glass?
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

While moving at any normal speed on the highway, rain doesn't even hit the rear window :)
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Yeah, that's a nice side effect of the sedan aerodynamics... But I do plenty of driving at low speed in the rain. It rains like every day here.
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

i want this for backing up at night when its raining and whatnot. of course on highway it doesnt matter.
96 Impreza L sedan
00 Impreza RS sedan
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

vrg3 wrote: Mike - Thanks for squashing our dreams. :(
no problem....just the realist in me. Its great to think of cool stuff but the fact of the matter is that when you take a 10-14 year old car somewhere to try to get a quote on some custom glass or whatever, you might not be taken too seriously. I've run into this now with my crushed A pillar. No body shop I have gone to will even touch it. I have even said "listen, I've spent 5 thousand on the engine alone, I think I can afford to fix the body up a little". The truth is that I think our cars are looked at as crappy by other people. I'm sure that If I rolled to any of those body shops in my infiniti they would be tripping over me to do the work.
-Mike

2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

magicmike wrote:
vrg3 wrote: Mike - Thanks for squashing our dreams. :(
no problem....just the realist in me. Its great to think of cool stuff but the fact of the matter is that when you take a 10-14 year old car somewhere to try to get a quote on some custom glass or whatever, you might not be taken too seriously. I've run into this now with my crushed A pillar. No body shop I have gone to will even touch it. I have even said "listen, I've spent 5 thousand on the engine alone, I think I can afford to fix the body up a little". The truth is that I think our cars are looked at as crappy by other people. I'm sure that If I rolled to any of those body shops in my infiniti they would be tripping over me to do the work.
i find it odd that shops feel that way. i have run into it to. what do they care. money is money right? or are they really concerned about how i spend my money. the only thing i can think of is that they are afrraid that they will do the repair and have rust creep through somewhere and have you come back and expect them to repair it under warranty.
96 Impreza L sedan
00 Impreza RS sedan
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

i think its more like, "I don't want to work on that piece of shit" Too bad most of the cars they actually do work on are worse than ours.
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

THAWA wrote:i think its more like, "I don't want to work on that piece of shit" Too bad most of the cars they actually do work on are worse than ours.
prides a bitch. wish they'd suck it up and just take the money. funny how when you want someone to part you from your maoney they won't.
96 Impreza L sedan
00 Impreza RS sedan
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

I think it's weird the perception from lots of mechanics that these cars are hard to work on. I laugh every time I drive by a place that has a sign saying 'We service Subarus' as if they're Lancias or something. Maybe the trained monkeys that a lot of mechanics are shut down when they see something less familiar like most idiots out there who refuse to educate themselves, yet are always afraid of shit they don't understand.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

I didn't mean to highjack the post, I just wanted to make my point.
-Mike

2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale