sunroofectomy?

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

greg donovan
Fourth Gear

sunroofectomy?

Post by greg donovan »

i hate sunroofs. i dont like the loss of headroom. how hard is it to have the roofs swapped between a non sunroof sedan and a sunroof one? how mch headroom do you loose between the sunroof cars and non-sunroof cars.

would a body shop even do it? i would imagine they would as long as you werent monkeying w/the A,B,andC pillars.

could it be a DIY project? i imagine all you would have to do is drill out the spot welds pull the skin off and swap the new roof skin and appropraite bracing in. this is what most rally prep shops do when installing a good custom cage, so it has been done before.

everything sounds simple in theory of course. in actuality it is probably a much bigger deal than that.
96 Impreza L sedan
97 legacy outback limited
00 Impreza RS sedan
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I would think it's a pretty big deal. You'd have to cut the roof off and swap it over. IMO....no way worth the effort.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Subaru_Nation555
Third Gear

Post by Subaru_Nation555 »

Like Legacy777 said I just don't think it would be worth the money or effort, but thats me.

I don't think you would loose a noticable amount of headroom
'06 Impreza 2.5i wagon
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

You would probably gain maybe .5" or so. Not worth the trouble.

The only reason I wouldn't want a sunroof is to increase chassis rigidity and remove weight from up top.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
bignose
First Gear

Post by bignose »

can't you just rip it out and weld a sheet in place , then do the body work ? am i missing something ?
-----

http://www.bignose.ca/legacy/pics/
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

bignose wrote:can't you just rip it out and weld a sheet in place , then do the body work ? am i missing something ?
yes you could do that. mike wray and several other people who have built rally cars out of sunroof cars have done this.

its not pretty but it could be done.

this is what i was talking about doing. you dont need to cut the pillars or anything just remove the skin.

yes it is a GC chassis but the roof structure is the same. and i guess the headroom isnt the only thinng weight is a big factor too. but when your wife is 6'1" that .5" of extra headroom can be a marriage saving difference.

here is the link to more pics of the build of ramana's first car being built at vermont sportscar.

http://www.vtcar.com/wrxbuild.htm
96 Impreza L sedan
00 Impreza RS sedan
90LegAWD
First Gear

Post by 90LegAWD »

bignose wrote:can't you just rip it out and weld a sheet in place , then do the body work ? am i missing something ?
no, it's defnitely NOT that easy. the roof is extremely thin, any welding will result in IMMEDIATE warping

IMO, just remove the sunroof and plug it with a sheet of aluminum/CF/lexan/etc. honda guys do this ALL the time.

http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=778592
http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=764413
http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=807634
LaureltheQueen
Spelling Nazi
Spelling Nazi

Post by LaureltheQueen »

I dont know what's been done to your car, but if you want to go sunroofless, I'd suggest selling your car and buying one without a sunroof
Laurel Tuning Stage 15
92 Touring Wagon 5MT 16G
[quote="NICO I WRX U"]the streets are my track[/quote]
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

i dont think thats possible for a 94SS. werent the sunroofs standard?

and i am getting this 94 SS for a VERY good price.

so what kind of a loss in headroom can i expect between my 90 l sedan w/out a sunroof and the 94 SS w/a sunroof?
96 Impreza L sedan
00 Impreza RS sedan
2.5_IMP
In Neutral

Re: sunroofectomy?

Post by 2.5_IMP »

Pulling this thread up from the dead. I want to remove my sunroof, and replace it with a welded patch panel, or lexan/plexi/fiberglass/carbon fiber plug. If anyone has done this, and has photos or measurements, please post them up.
AWD_addict
Fifth Gear

Post by AWD_addict »

I haven't done it yet, but I will be doing something similar eventually. Cracked glass and caulked shut is not a great sunroof situation.
90 L+ wgn
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Could you also replace it with a drop-in manual? They weigh much less and I've never had a leak or problem and it pops out in seconds, one-handed while sitting at a red light. Less fabrication.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
2.5_IMP
In Neutral

Post by 2.5_IMP »

evolutionmovement wrote:Could you also replace it with a drop-in manual? They weigh much less and I've never had a leak or problem and it pops out in seconds, one-handed while sitting at a red light. Less fabrication.
I'd like this option. I'm going to be pulling the sunroof this week, taking some measurements, and seeing what is out there.
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

I would weld it shut and get a different headliner. Paint is pretty easy since you don't have to blend the pillars.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m