Small FMIC in TMIC location???

Front, Top, Air, Water.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

magicmike
Fifth Gear

Small FMIC in TMIC location???

Post by magicmike »

I'm thinking of doing a small FMIC in place of the TMIC and having it stick straight up through the hood. Like 80 % of it or something. I'd have to mod the hood pretty heavilly of course. Has anyone ever thought of this or is it just plain stupid? What are you thoughts???

Mike
-Mike

2011 Infiniti G37x Sedan - Current
2007 Ducati 800ss - Current
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (White)
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (Silver)
2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

I don't know sounds a little wierd to me. How are you going to protect the i/c? 1st time something hits the i/c at speed( like a bug or stone) it will get damaged. I think a small fmic as a tmic is ok as long as you can pipe it in but instead of having it stick up out of the hood have it lay normal and just fab a better hood scoop. My 2 ct. :)
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
Brat4by4
Stratified

Post by Brat4by4 »

That's what mesh is for, and it's much less likely to get hit by something than a true front mount. It would look pretty trick (maybe just different), and I think that would probably reduce pre-heating.
1993 WMP BC6 5MT EJ22T 9psi 3.9:1 213k 205/55R16

62.6 m/s @ 0.66 bar. Gotta love boost. :)
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Put a "brim" on the cooler, otherwise air will just go around it! Angle it forward a few degrees as well, this will create higher pressure near the bottom.
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Brat4by4 wrote:That's what mesh is for, and it's much less likely to get hit by something than a true front mount. .
You're right, that is what mesh is for but when you use mesh on your hood scoop or bumper hole there's space between the i/c and mesh. If the i/c is sticking up out of the hood, unless you fab some kind of spacer for the mesh it would be useless except for maybe smaller insects. If you wrap the i/c in mesh and a stone hits it you're still screwed unless there's a space to absorb the impact. I'm sure it could be done though and it would be very original.

What about a big scoop, like the sti or maybe something custom, then put the i/c in at a steep angle so it's up in the scoop above hood level and use mesh on the scoop opening? I think that'd look pretty sweet and very custom IMHO.
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
FrmRgz2Rchz
First Gear

Post by FrmRgz2Rchz »

That might look kind of funny, but it does give me an idea. I'm wondering if I could make a temporary setup just like that for track days. It's a wicked idea, I'll give you that.
Andy Rose
1993 Subaru Legacy Sport Sedan
2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STI
1999 Hyundai Accent