91 Legacy won't start!!

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Ozman
In Neutral

91 Legacy won't start!!

Post by Ozman »

Hey fella's i need all the help i can get here. Its cold and i have no car!

I have a 1991 Subaru Legacy (Manual Tran) Sedan (4WD) F4-2212cc 2.2L SOHC Turbo and its not starting. It was driving as good as usual and no problems starting until one day i shut it off then about a 4-5 days later on a cold night i tried to start my car.. and it wouldn't start.

It turns over no problem and once in awhile it kinda jumps or catches on a single turn over like it wants to start but won't.

I have checked spark plug wires and are all connected as well tested for spark from the # 1 cylinder and there was good spark. Spark plug was also wet with fuel.

I can hear my fuel pump kick in most the time when i turn my key( i think).

So my question is what do you think it is? or my next step in assessing the problem? And how do i go about testing it?

Also to note there is a small gas leak under driver side door but its not a large leak. Thought line may have froze but i even plugged in the block heater and tried gas line anti-freeze and waited for warm day to try to start but same problem.

All help appreciated,

D :(
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Any flashing CELs? Could be a cam position sensor, could be the timing belt jumped a tooth or two. If you're getting fuel, you're getting spark, and it turns over well, then some kind of timing issue has to be taking place.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Ozman
In Neutral

Post by Ozman »

I just double checked and no CEL's where flashing....
any other idea's or what i should check?

thanks,

D
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

I'm thinking T-belt may've jumped a tooth or so. Could be a weak tensioner as the cause. Say it started to go while driving; the preload on the belt would keep everything pretty well aligned, but when you stopped it went a little limp. Start up again and the strain of the starter causes the belt to jump a tooth or two. Could explain why you get a couple firings, have fuel and spark, yet it won't start.

Easiest thing to do would be to pop the side cam covers off and check to see if the belt and cams are lined up on both sides (if the belt has the lines on it). You may have to turn the engine by hand to get the cams in position and if either #1 or #2 pistons are at TDC with the cams lined up, then everything should be good alignment wise, though just having the cams in sync should be enough.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
TheShocker
Vendor
Vendor

Post by TheShocker »

I just had this same problem. It ended up being the ECU. Any turbo ECU will work. In the process I also replaced the knock sensor and cam pos. sensor.

Does your CEL come on when the car is in the "on" position? If not, it's most likely your ecu!
05 Jeep Liberty CRD turbo diesel
91 Mazda Miata
91 Legacy Sport Sedan 5MT
89 Honda CRX Si turbo
Ozman
In Neutral

Post by Ozman »

Yea my CEL's come on so hopefully its not that.

I work all weekend 12 hr shifts so when i get time monday or tuesday i will take a look to make sure all my timing marks align as steve sugested.

Once i check that i will get back to ya's :)
Ozman
In Neutral

Post by Ozman »

Well i finally found out the problem. You guys prolly get a good laugh at this.
The engine had to much oil in it causeing the engine to flood and get gas in the oil and not starting.

I knew its was over full but since it was like that for at least a month i wasn't to worried.

Thanks for all your help!