Honda truck (nice)

This is for non-Subaru related topics. Keep it realistic please.

Moderator: Moderators

legacycontinues
Voluntarily Dismissed

Honda truck (nice)

Post by legacycontinues »

I just saw the new Honda Ridgeline....Holy crap! That thing looks mean. I wonder if it has 2 Vtecs under the hood??
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

The monster truck version has one in the back and one in the front. Viiinnnngggggg viiinnnnggggg!

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Yukonart
Cradle Robber
Cradle Robber

Post by Yukonart »

Nope. . . but it's actually quite the contender. . . ever for the larger domestics. :shock:
"Power is NOTHING without control"
1994 & 2005 Legacy GT Wagons
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

I don't forsee a good future.

Unibodies are marginally OK for SUV's, but on a truck? Forget it.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by scottzg »

BAC5.2 wrote:I don't forsee a good future.

Its not a unibody, it has a fully closed rail frame (bettar th3n teh Shevvy)
[url=http://www.thawa.net/gallery/albums/album108/DSCF0330.jpg]90 legacy of awesomeness[/url]
Yukonart
Cradle Robber
Cradle Robber

Post by Yukonart »

And think about it. . . MAYBE 1/2 of all truck buyers (and about 10% of SUV buyers) acutally USE their vehicles in manners persuant to their design.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

True of sports cars too, but try selling a 100 HP Ferrari.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Yukonart
Cradle Robber
Cradle Robber

Post by Yukonart »

Ferraris don't have 4-doors and child seat provisions, either.

Besides. . . in either case, many (mal-educated) buyers would prefer image over performance, anyway.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

But there is no image here. The truck image, like the sports car image has to be earned from somewhere. I just don't see this being a huge success, but at least Honda is smart enough not to expect it to be. GM with the forthcoming HHR on the other hand ...

Steve
Yukonart
Cradle Robber
Cradle Robber

Post by Yukonart »

Honda is merely catering to a light-duty truck crowd that they're probably losing to Toyota in spades. Granted, it's not a real truck, but when it comes to many buyers, brand loyalty is still very important.
legacycontinues
Voluntarily Dismissed

We all know Hondas get great gas milage...would this be true for this truck? Hondas are reliable....run forever.

I wonder if ricers will get their hands on these and make them sound like leaf blowers?
scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by scottzg »

HHR looks kinda cool. Something to combat the element, rav4, xb, etc.
[url=http://www.thawa.net/gallery/albums/album108/DSCF0330.jpg]90 legacy of awesomeness[/url]
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

scottzg wrote:
BAC5.2 wrote:I don't forsee a good future.

Its not a unibody, it has a fully closed rail frame (bettar th3n teh Shevvy)
"Honda says the Ridgeline has a unitized body, like most passenger cars, but adds a ladder-type frame, like most pickup trucks."

http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosconsum ... -76895.htm

If the cab, and the bed, are attached. I don't want any part of it.

The Ridgeline was designed for women. And for men, who require the approval of women in their purchase of a vehicle.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
AWD_addict
Fifth Gear

Post by AWD_addict »

Maybe CRV or Pilot buyers looking for a bed? How many dedicated Honda buyers are going to be looking for a pickup?
I think it's more to bring in new buyers who will be looking at all brands of light truck.
90 L+ wgn
legacycontinues
Voluntarily Dismissed

I like it. I also like that new nissan truck. They could both kick my Roos ass. All that matters.
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Buyers aren't stupid though.

At the very least, they will ask themselves the following...

"Why the ridgeline over a Toyota?"

I have a feeling that the same people who bought the Element, are going to buy the Ridgeline. And if that's the case, the model will last just a few years if we are lucky.

I see absolutely NO reason to have the cab and the bed be connected, other than asthetics.

I guess I am the type that uses a truck like it is designed to be used, and the Honda is not designed to be used as a truck is ideally thought.

skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

I have to agree with Phil on this one, if the body and bed on a truck are connected, nope not for me. I know what a good work truck is and have been around them all my life, it's gotta be able to flex and take a beating. However, if this isn't meant to be a work truck, eh... I guess it's alright for those who want to buy it. If I'm going to get a truck though, it'll be a chevy, a GMC, or a Nissan. We've loaded full pallets of 5/8" 4x8 sheetrock into the bed of the Sierra's at work and they take it in stride, I don't forsee the honda taking comparable loads (for it's size) like a truck should. Maybe I'm just biased against a honda truck.
Lee

93' SS, 5mt swapped, 182k, not stock...
96' N/A OBW 5sp, 212k, Couple mods... RIP
99' N/A OBW, 4eat, mostly stock.
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

I like Ford's idea of putting trailer brake controls in the F350. That's good thinking, IMO.

For as little as I tow with the need for trailer brake control, I think it'd work just fine for me, even if it's not the best system.

I really like the Titan though. Nissan got it's shit right with that thing.

legacycontinues
Voluntarily Dismissed

I would own an F-350 but only if it had the diesel engine. Big gas engines belong in old muscle cars. Except the Dodge Ram with the viper engine....thats is just sick.
skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

One of my good friends in my RC airplanes club used to work as a Nissan mechanic and is loyal to their trucks and he just got one of the new Titan's. Simply put - it's niiice. And yeah, big gas engines only really belong in muscle cars or supercars (the viper falls somewhere in between but it does have a fitting engine).
Lee

BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Skid - Get yourself to a Nissan dealership, and drive one. They drive really well...

91White-T
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 91White-T »

Trucks and VTEC just dont go together... Also, did anyone see the commercial where they show the engine compartment? The frickin engine's in the wrong way, there's no way a truck should ever have a transversely monted engine... ever.
98 Ford Contour V6 24V 5MT
98 Chevy Camaro Z28 LS1 6MT
91 Rio Red SS 5MT Sold
91 Flat Black Wagon L+ 4EAT RIP
91 Pearl White SS 4EAT RIP
skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

As usual you're right Phil, I should just take a day during my spring break to go around to the different dealerships and go test driving :). Hehe yeah, that engine just doesn't look quite right does it.
Lee

legacycontinues
Voluntarily Dismissed

Are we sure the engine is in the "proper" way and it has a shroud over it to give you the impression it is in "funny."

I haven't seen the engine so I don't have a clue...
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

I think it's butt ass ugly. I don't understand the cab and bed being attached. That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Oh and there was already a thread about this. ;)

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=20132

My brother in law just got a Viper truck about a month ago! I haven't gotten a ride yet but the thing is sick. Bastard already has a Hemi-Ram too. Oh, and he has a '71 Hemi-Cuda 664! He also has some old 60's era Chryslers. That's just the Chryslers though. He has an Austin Healey, an Alfa Graduate, a new F250, an older Chevy 2500, a Ford Excursion, a Chevy C-50 dump truck and tractor/back hoes gallore. Lucky bastard.
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]