Greddy Type S BOV

Front, Top, Air, Water.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

BAC5.2

Greddy Type S BOV

Post by BAC5.2 »

I remember someone on here is/was running that valve.

Any other experience with it? How did you like it?

I am converting my friends WRX to a stage4, and he might give me his stock IC and a TypeS bov.

The joys of being able to do the work that people normally pay a shit load of money for.

I just want something that closes completely at idle. I don't have the adapter plate from my HKS valve anymore (hacked it). I might just try to find another plate and use that BOV. I like the HKS valve. It works pretty well, and sounds cool.

Venting next to a truck, is SUPER loud. It's neat.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
-K-
Third Gear

Post by -K- »

I can't remember who has one but there should be plenty of people with them on NASIOC. If they seal on a WRX they should do the same on your car.

I'm not sure how loud I want mine so I got the fully adjustable GFB valve, call me a pussy but if I get sick of the sound I can just set it to recirc.
02 WRX Sedan, 5mt
93 Sport Sedan, 5mt
555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 555BCTurbo »

RIIIIIIIIIIIIICCCCCCCCCCCE

Just Kidding :P
Nick

1987 Audi 4000CS quattro...soon to be 20VT
1994 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD, #11 plate, 30 psi, Scotty II intake, 4" exhaust
dzx
Fifth Gear

Post by dzx »

I thought you had a HKS bov? My car is running the greddy type s
///M
'93 Legacy SS - part out
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

I've got the greddy type s. If its adjusted too soft then yes it will leak at idle. As long as it's the last thing the air passes through before entering the throttle body, there should be no boost leak issues. Unfortunately, with top-mount Saab ICs, the BOV kinda has to go before the intercooler, introducing a pressure drop between the BOV and the TB, so at higher boost levels the BOV will see this as a closed throttle plate (difference between the pressure it sees and the pressure from the manifold) and decide to start spitting off some of the pressure.

You could run this BOV as recirc. to avoid boost leak problems but it can be adjusted to work as atmospheric in the Legacy.
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
91SS 5MT awaiting engine rebuild and VF36...
92SS 4EAT - RIP :(
94SS 5MT4.11+rLSD 289k km: RobTune550,TD05-16g @ 18psi,FMIC,3"TBE,Forester lift
91White-T
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 91White-T »

The Type S worked great on my SS. Had it in front of the saab IC and never had a leak. It takes a few mintues of playing with the adjustment screw, but it works great once you get it.
98 Ford Contour V6 24V 5MT
98 Chevy Camaro Z28 LS1 6MT
91 Rio Red SS 5MT Sold
91 Flat Black Wagon L+ 4EAT RIP
91 Pearl White SS 4EAT RIP
bluesubaru
First Gear

Post by bluesubaru »

I messed and messed with the type s for weeks trying to get it to work right.
It was either too tight and would compressor surge, or two loose and leak, and sometimes both at the same time.
I eventually went to recirc and it fixed a lot of problems.
Good luck
95 Legacy N/A EJ22 - Turbo @ 5.5psi
WRX Turbo and Intercooler
STI Exhaust
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

free5ty1e wrote:I've got the greddy type s. If its adjusted too soft then yes it will leak at idle. As long as it's the last thing the air passes through before entering the throttle body, there should be no boost leak issues. Unfortunately, with top-mount Saab ICs, the BOV kinda has to go before the intercooler, introducing a pressure drop between the BOV and the TB, so at higher boost levels the BOV will see this as a closed throttle plate (difference between the pressure it sees and the pressure from the manifold) and decide to start spitting off some of the pressure.

You could run this BOV as recirc. to avoid boost leak problems but it can be adjusted to work as atmospheric in the Legacy.
That's why I am running the HKS valve. As I understand it, It doesn't use a pressure differential between the "charge pipe" and the intake manifold. It references to manifold pressure alone. I.e. If there is boost in the manifold, it pressurizes an air bladder of sorts, and as the manifold pressure drops, the created vacuum pulls back on a diaphram, which pulls back on a valve, and that vents the trapped charge pipe air.

The HKS valve can't really leak on boost, but piston style valves, can, as charge pipe pressure exceeds spring pressure.

The HKS valve can simply open to fast or two slow (as you adjust the volume capacity of the air chamber).

The HKS valve is ungodly loud. When your 1994 Legacy has the loudest BOV of the day at a Dyno Day, you have a LOUD bitch. I DID make the third highest Subaru power of the day I believe :).

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

I suppose it would be an experiment of sorts to get a time running atmospheric with the type S, and then have a plugged fitting to hook it up as recirc and try again.

The type S is diaphragm-based, the stock valve is piston-based.... correct? Type s has two reference fittings, one for manifold pressure and one for atmospheric pressure.

That HKS valve sounds nice though. I wouldn't have cared about the BOV all that much except that I already had the type S from a previous project car.
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Where do you run the atmopsheric reference hose?

I'll see how it goes.

I have never even heard the TypeS, lol. I will probably run recirc, to get some sleeper back in it.

bluesubaru
First Gear

Post by bluesubaru »

the type s is more like a loud whistle, and the hks is a long/short psshhh.
Either way I dont care, the typs came with my IC, and my car runs a hell alot better with it being recirc. I get better gas mileage, no rough idle, and no 100% IDC.
I might experiement with 50/50 BOV by WORX, APS or TurboXS. Best of both worlds.
STI Exhaust
Innovative Tuning
Second Gear

Post by Innovative Tuning »

The Greddy Type S leaks above 17psi. I'm not guessing....we used a Snap On pressure tester on it.
bluesubaru
First Gear

Post by bluesubaru »

well I am not worried about the leak at that high of boost, I just want it to stay close at idle and not surge. Mine wont do that unless I recirc.
STI Exhaust
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

I am worried about leaking. I run just below 17psi.

free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

Innovative Tuning wrote:The Greddy Type S leaks above 17psi. I'm not guessing....we used a Snap On pressure tester on it.
.... are you sure that wasn't just your type S? That's pretty weak of Greddy to make an aftermarket racing product that can't hold aftermarket boost levels. Not having run that high yet, I can't say if that's true or false, but that sucks if it's true. (ok, blows)

Guess I'll have to start looking at blowoff valves once I get ready to run some good boost levels.... or just run the type S recirc so it at least leaks back into the system. Dag nabbit.

The atmospheric reference fitting I've just been putting a hose on and running it somewhere away from my hood scoop and facing downwards (just leaving it open) so's rain won't just fall into an open fitting on my BOV. As far as I can tell you're not supposed to connect it to anything, just let it read atmospheric pressure. The other line goes to the manifold fitting, of course.
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
dzx
Fifth Gear

Post by dzx »

Mine was holding well over 30psi when the engine blew. :(
Last edited by dzx on Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
///M
'93 Legacy SS - part out
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

now THATS a story I want elaboration on.... which turbo was that?
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
dzx
Fifth Gear

Post by dzx »

16G. I had the mbc clamped down all the way and let a friend drive the car. I told him not to stand on the gas in fifth but to control the boost with his foot and keep it under 15 psi however he got carried away racing a bmw and just stood on the pedal. A few blocks later, the street was covered in smoke and the engine was done.
///M
'93 Legacy SS - part out
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

damn. That blows. Or at least, it used to. :(
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

Update - it would seem that I have angered the diaphragm of my Type S. It now seems content to spit out any positive boost levels, making it very tough to drive normally. I approached 17psi on the highway in 5th and what do ya know, it didn't like it.

So... I like the design of the HKS SSQV. So... I bought one. I'll be installing it today, hopefully. A local speed shop happened to have one in stock, got it for $205 + $30 for the flange. I like when a blowoff valve is guaranteed by the manufacturer not to leak under any level of boost, or at idle.

http://www.hksusa.com/products/more.asp?id=792
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock