Kid getting a BC

This is for non-Subaru related topics. Keep it realistic please.

Moderator: Moderators

Amit
In Neutral

Kid getting a BC

Post by Amit »

Hey! My name is Amit, and I'm 15. I love cars and will soon be getting a BC (probably). I originally wanted an mkII but that's a little too crazy as a first car. My dad loves subaru's so he wanted to get a BC he found for $2,000. I am VERY into imports so of course I wanna mod this BC up a little bit. My brother has a celica that he bought tons of stuff for that he doesn't want to put in his car anymore. The only things that could fit the BC are a pair of autometer gauges (oil pressure and a/f ratio). My cousin gave me 2 of her footwell neons from her car after having them in for a week because her dad didn't want her modding her car like that. I also bought another pair of blue neons for just $10 (for the pair!)! So the 4 neons will be the first things to go into the car. The gauges are electrical (not mechanical) so I'm not sure if they will go in the subaru just yet but I don't think I will put them in anyways because it's gonna cost a lot to do that and I think it's a little too hard for me to do myself. The only other things I wanna do to this car is get some 14-15 inch rims, in either bronze,black,or gunmetal and lower it a bit. I'm also considering getting a cheap muffler, one that isn't too obnoxious. (my brother had a loud one in his old car and it sounds cool at first but starts to get annoying). Basically just make it sleeper. One of the many questions I have is...is there a cf hood for the bc (94) ? Also...I couldn't find any interior pics, could someone post some?
tris91ricer
Title Whore

Post by tris91ricer »

"Hi, my name is asshat, and I just joined this board. I wanna mod my car just like all the other kids so maybe, just maybe, they'll think I'm c00l."
Dude, welcome to the board, but for the love of all things subaru, don't do this.
You're 15, I understand.. but learn the right way, let's talk like a big-boy now, mmkay?

Good choice on getting a Legacy. It's rarely someone's first choice for a car, unless they know what's up.
To answer your questions:
No, there is no Carbon Fibre hood for the BCs. Fab one up if you're so inclined. If you really want a CF hood, buy an integra. :wink:
I'm not even gonna rip into you about the neons.. it's your car, do whatev, but don't cry to us when you short your electrical stuff, or other kids pick on you. :D
14" rims are stock. 15's are also stock, in alloys. For optimum handling, you're gonna want to go with 16s or 17s. Used WRX wheels seem to be the most popular, as they fit correctly. Our cars have a high-er offset, as wheels go, so not all 5x100 wheels fit your subaru, technically speaking.
Lower it if you want, but do it right --don't cut your springs.
Check out our other forums, get used to searching, and you'll have the wealth of knowledge we have here, at your fingertips.
..and of course, you can always ask questions. (Don't worry, I won't start them all off by making fun of you. :D)
[b]'92 L Sedan[/b]
EJ20g 4.11 5sp LSD

[quote]e46 owners tend to be twats.
[/quote]
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Make it a sleeper? I didn't think mufflers, neons, gauges, and carbon fiber hoods on slow cars made them sleepers. Maybe I'm wrong.

Reguardless, Welcome to the boards. No one makes a CF hood for the BC yet, but I'm sure you could get one custom made. Our cars are lots of fun, but unfortunately are the red headed step children of the Subaru community. No aftermarket, no love.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
tris91ricer
Title Whore

Post by tris91ricer »

Look Kiddo,
You managed to write out something half-way decent, but you didn't really know how we work it here, so I'll cut you some slack.
There's not a whole lot of stuff designed for our cars.. there's a reason for that --they're not popular. So modding comes down to groups like us, and your own two-handed originality. (I'll bet you're good, you ARE 15, after all. :wink:)
We don't slap gauges in our cars just cause --there's always a reason. Would you know WHY you'd put an A/F or an oil pressure gauge in?
How about less esoteric things(as opposed to NEONS), like exhaust --do you know WHY you'd put a higher-flow muffler on?
Rims --ask WHY.
If you don't know WHY you're gonna do something to your car, WHY do it?
With this board, you're stepping up into the realm of adults modding adult cars. We don't let the exteriors of our cars do the talking --we back it up. Our mods are, for the most part, functional. ..which is what modding started off as.
Do we have simple aesthetic mods? You bet, most every car does. Are we all about those mods? Not really, they're just a sidecar to what we're really trying to do:
Get good performance.
Some of us want RAW POWAH, others want extreme handling, others of us, like myself, want to keep our cars running for as long as possible, learn as much as we can about them, and then make a few changes as we see fit. (more cost effective that way :wink:)
Basically:
Cheap, Fast, Reliable, pick two.
That's how we roll..
Meanwhile, we're glad you showed up. Don't let my first post scare you away. You sound like a smart cookie who just needs a little direction. Good news, We do that. I'd place bets any day of the week that we, collectively (and some of us on our own) know more about these cars than FHI, (Fuji Heavy Industries, manufacturer of Subaru) or any other board on the internet. Don't step to it, cuz we'll bite you, punk. :D
But really, we know our stuff, and while we're rather opinionated, and get a little uptight about those who take a different direction from our central values, we still value every one of our members just the same. After all, it's all about the cars, right?
Again, welcome, we're glad you signed on. Now tell us a bit about the car you're getting, and where you're from. (if mommy and daddy let you?)
[b]'92 L Sedan[/b]
EJ20g 4.11 5sp LSD

[quote]e46 owners tend to be twats.
[/quote]
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

Damn Tristan...

Welcome Amit. There's so much information to be learned here, what I would suggest doing, is drive the car for at least 6 months before doing anything at all to it, except for regular maintenance. Get it running in tip top shape before you do anything. Learn the ins and outs of the car. There's so much more stuff you could do than just the flashy show stuff.
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

I agree with Hardy that the best thing to do is a tune up - plugs, wires (Magnecors are the recommended and best), new PCV, filters, etc.

a Wheel and tire upgrade is a good start as it can really bring out the inherent good balance of these chassis. After getting used to the car for a few months, you'll realize that it can handel much more and you'll probably be saving for performance mods.

And do all your own work - these cars are so easy to work on and it's a hell of a lot cheaper that way.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by scottzg »

BAC5.2 wrote:Make it a sleeper? I didn't think mufflers, neons, gauges, and carbon fiber hoods on slow cars made them sleepers. Maybe I'm wrong.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Oh man that was funny.

I'm not sure why this is "stuff i need to know" Could a mod move it to the ashtray?

As im sure you've figured out by now, we as a community aren't very fun. You'll see a lot of resistance to giant mufflers, random wings, neon lights, and other goofy body parts. In my opinion, these merely serve to attract the fuzz to a new driver. As thawa said, do the routine maintenance, make sure it doesn't do wierd stuff and is worth putting some money in to, and go from there. The more you mess around unnecessarily, the more opportunities you'll have to mess up something that works.

Being 15, i'd encourage you do drive the car (or whatever car you get) at least a year or two before you know what you would change. Like any new activity, you need to know what you don't like and what will improve it, before it makes sense to do so.

These are good cars, and the knowlege base here is truely fantastic, but it's still a non-engine-mod-receptive platform, and we're all pretty stodgy.

Welcome to the road.
[url=http://www.thawa.net/gallery/albums/album108/DSCF0330.jpg]90 legacy of awesomeness[/url]
LaureltheQueen
Spelling Nazi
Spelling Nazi

Post by LaureltheQueen »

Tristan was a bit harsh in his replies, I'll take the blame for that, as I tend to give him the most shit for being a ricer.(dont deny it)

The best thing that you can do with the exception of a tune-up on the naturally aspirated legacy, is to invest some good money into suspension. A good, albeit basic spring/strut combination is going to run you somewhere in the neighborhood of seven to eight hundred dollars. Following that there's strut and sway bars, endlinks, etc. Like it has already been posted, the NA EJ series motors don't tend to be very receptive to mods, so I'd give up trying to go faster.

With you being a new driver, I would highly suggest not doing anything to make the car quicker with the exception of suspension. Suspension will make the car safer and faster by preventing it from behaving unpredictably. In addition to suspension mods, I'd suggest getting involved in autocross. ( http://www.scca.org/Solo/Solo2.asp?IdS= ... &x=050|030&~= ) it may not look very fast or interesting, but believe me, it's intense. It will make you a better driver, and teach you respect for your car's abilities and weaknesses. Also remember this. If it's possible to lose control of the car, especially at speeds below 60 miles per hour, do you really need more power, or should you invest in suspension?

Feel free to IM or PM me about any questions that you may have, about anything, I'm usually around. :)
Laurel Tuning Stage 15
92 Touring Wagon 5MT 16G
[quote="NICO I WRX U"]the streets are my track[/quote]
dzx
Fifth Gear

Post by dzx »

LOL. Welcome to the board, you'll learn a lot on here by reading and using the search function and asking questions when you cant find it elsewhere. Most people on here are quite knowledgable.

Some inexpensive things you can do would be a K&N drop in filter, if you do get a BC get a manual. You can also pick up a lightweight flywheel and pulley. I'd get used to driving first tho, it doesnt help to put money into the car and have an accident.
///M
'93 Legacy SS - part out
legacycontinues
Voluntarily Dismissed

Post by legacycontinues »

Welcome to the board rice rice baby.

Here is a tip to save you from asking a dumb question...the wheels are 5x100 with a +52 offset.

Change your timing belt every 60K weither it needs it or not. Do it yourself, we will help.

If for any reason coolant leaves your cooling system...BURP the system.

If it is AWD...use a flatbed when towing.

Yes all your tires have to be the same size within 1/8 of an inch. (AWD)

No you can't put a turbo on a N/A engine

Don't use Fram oil filters

Don't use synthetic oil if you have high milage

Yes that is transmission fluid in your power steering pump

Yes you can swap your auto (4EAT) for the 5spd manual (5MT)

NO we will not help you pick out neons or an ebay wing

Use NGK V-power copper plugs..period.

If you want to learn about legacys forst hand I gladly invite you to come to my house and help me install my EJ20.

NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO..USE THE SEARCH FEATURE BEFORE POSTING TO MAKE SURE YOUR QUESTION HASN'T BEEN ANSWERED ALREADY.
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

legacycontinues wrote:No you can't put a turbo on a N/A engine
Really??
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
legacycontinues
Voluntarily Dismissed

Ok you can.....but expect to replace your engine soon if you run too much boost..
Subaru_Nation555
Third Gear

Post by Subaru_Nation555 »

I'm not going to reiterate what everyone else said but its all good advice. They know that they're talking about. I've learned so much about my Legacy its amazing. This forum only makes you appreciate your Subaru and the Subaru community more. Nevertheless welcome to Legacy Central.

PS-Post some pics of your car if/when you get it.
'06 Impreza 2.5i wagon
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Forgot that the best way to make every car you drive faster and safer is to learn how to drive. Don't be like the other idiots out there who think watching Fast & the Furious or playing GTx makes them good drivers - that's like watching The Last Dragon and thinking you're a martial arts expert. High speed is not low speed faster, it's more like snow compared to dry.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

but gran turismo does make you a better driver :)

anyone think hes coming back?

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
legacycontinues
Voluntarily Dismissed

Shit.....I'm not a martial arts master? You mean to tell me I sat thru bulletproof munk for nothing.. What a waste of time!!

I saw both F&F movies a few times....I can drift like a mutha. Well atleast my WRX can....I actually rolled her the other night while doing some sick stunts. Good thing the ebay wing is strong and supported the tailend so the trunk didn't get too messed up.

BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Where the fuck did you get that blinged out joint?

I need to lock the diff in my Supra so I can hold the dorifto.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Hardy - yes and no. It's like flight simulators - they help perfect techniques and expose you to situations you can't safely or easily replicate in the real world, but there's no substitute for real seat time.

Steve
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

i wasn't really serious :)

legacycontinues
Voluntarily Dismissed

That is my bad-ass wlamart WRX. It has the it is a 9.6VER with a complete red underbody neon kit, not to mention the subs in the rear window that have neon behind them too for the extra bling.

It's fun to punch it in forward the throw it in reverse. It doesn't do what you think it would....It whips around real fast and goes the other way. Tires spinning...engine revving....It's awesome on the tile floor in my house. I can get that thing sliding sideways if I gun it in the corners.

I am going to do the STi upgrade too it when I can figure out how to put a bigger motor in there.
jake15
Fourth Gear

Post by jake15 »

haha, i have a WRC version... i took it to my dads shop and drove it on the shop floor over water and oil, that thing would slide to no end :lol: it was so much fun.
90' legacy built ej257 gt30r 6spd r180 and brembos Bitches 402whp @22psi :D -sexy red
94' Impreza wagon AWD 2.2ltr rally wagon FTW!
206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

so I can get one of these at wal mart?? what is the drivetrain? price?
1994 Touring Wagon: ruby mica, 5mt swapped
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

Ah, well. I remember when I got my car. I wanted a sweet system, some blinging rims, exhaust, headers, CAI, a spoiler, and tinted windows. So, I'll put in my two cents to help out the newb.

Fortunately, I didn't waste my money on most of that stupid shit, and ended up with a CD player and a set of decent speakers. I regularly maintained my car, and have enjoyed it for the last 5 years. It's been a relaible, fun car, and has given me a reason to love Subarus and buy another one for my next car.

I joined this board, USMB, and more recently nasioc and i-club, and I've learned a lot about Subies and what can be done. If you've got an N/A engine, mods to increase power are pretty much not worth it. But, if the car is well maintained, you can thrash on it as much as you want, and it will still last forever. I have nearly 150k miles, and have recently started rallying my car. The other day, I drove the shit out of it for about 6 hours straight.

The cool thing is, with the introduction of all the kick ass Subarus in the last few years, there are more and more parts available. Since I can't really do much to bump the power up short of a new engine, I decided to invest some money on the suspension. In the last few months, I've spent about a grand. By shopping around in the classifieds on the Subaru boards, I've found a set of 2004 STi suspension take offs ($600 shipped with 700 miles), Group-N top mounts (these were new), a swaybar out of a turbo Legacy, rear lateral links and endlinks out of a 99 Impreza and rear swaybar mounts out of a WRX (I didn't even have a rear swaybar), big WRX front brakes, and some nice stock 16" WRX wheels and tires. The wheels with tires were $200 picked up, and they look awesome.

So, if you want a fast BC, find a turbo. That engine has tons of potential for more power. Just look at what Phil has done. Otherwise, spend a few dollars to upgrade the handling, if you want, and enjoy your car. Don't put on neons, and you don't need the gauges. As for the muffler, I'm tempted to put on something that looks a little better and sounds a little meaner, so I'm not going to say much about that; just dont buy some stupid ass 4" fart can.

Oh, and one other thing, I was checking out a Fram oil filter and it seemed to be pretty decent. Not made out of cardboard anymore, and had rubber anti-drainback valves. The nice grippy stuff on the end seems nice, too. The purolators I get at pepboys don't have the anti-drainback thing, which I hear is only really important with synthetic, but I think I'll look for it when I do my next oil change. Maybe I should just drive the extra 10 miles through LA traffic and get a few filters there, but I thought they were purolators, anyway.
peter@functionauto.com
Tleg93
Fifth Gear

Post by Tleg93 »

What a bunch of pricks... :wink:

Don't be so full of yourselves. The kid is just cruising the forums for Christ's sake. You're treating him like he's just hopped off the plane in Vietnam or something. I'm just kidding. I'm going to offer up my own mistakes for you, son. I've been here for a little while and I just put power steering fluid in my PS pump instead of ATF Dexron III :oops: What can I say, I wasn't paying attention. Don't let these veterans scare you away. They have lots of valuable information but they're also a wee bit crazy (like fox). I'd just tell them off and do whatever you want to to your car except the exhaust (did that, it was dumb) and the neons (thankfully, I didn't go that far) and don't bother with the hood either in my opinion. I don't think there's anything wrong with maybe attaching a turbo wing to your NA. I think they look nice, just don't go crazy. Try to find a happy medium and you'll be glad in the long run. Painting is ok too. I'd strongly urge you to get a turbo model.

When it's all said and done this is a hobby and not a job so there's nothing wrong with making mistakes. Fuck, I'm a sparky not a mechanic so this shit is basically new to me too.
--Scott--

1991 - Rio Red SS
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

jamal wrote:just dont buy some stupid ass 4" fart can.
Hey now, I have a 4" rolled chrome tip!