Perfect Power

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

-K-
Third Gear

Perfect Power

Post by -K- »

So I went by RalliTEK on my way to the Oregon Trail Rally. I was going to pick up a used Perrin cat-back they had for cheap.
Those guys are great. They know some Legacy SS stuff that's for sure. I fact they have a piggy back ECU that works with our cars and I was so impressed with it I bought one.

It's called the Perfect Power SMT6. http://rallitek.com/products.asp?ID=454 ... =&ACC=&SP=

It's supposed to be great for custom installs and will work with our different sensors. Most of the piggy back ECU's I have looked at are for one car, like the WRX stuff.
It has three maps, fuel, timing and one more for whatever you want. Extra injector? Water injetion? Boost control? I'm not sure what I'm going to do with that map yet. You can switch between two sets of maps.
It doesn't say much about it on the website but they showed me how everything works, what you could adjust and how to adjust it.

I should have it up and running in a few weeks and you will hear all the news as far as how it works.

Big Props to RalliTEK for knowing and supporting old school.
02 WRX Sedan, 5mt
93 Sport Sedan, 5mt
ej22t
Second Gear

Post by ej22t »

Will it be use on the 1st Gen JDM Legacy turbo engine? It seems a good price and good stuff for upgrade!!
K, tell us more about it

Ben
92 Legacy turbo with EJ20G engine swap \(^0^)/
-K-
Third Gear

Post by -K- »

I would think it would work, give RalliTEK a call. Or check out the rallitek.net forum.

I'll let you know as soon as it gets running :D
02 WRX Sedan, 5mt
93 Sport Sedan, 5mt
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

that does look like something fun to play with.
96 Impreza L sedan
97 legacy outback limited
00 Impreza RS sedan
jake15
Fourth Gear

Post by jake15 »

how much did you pay for it?
90' legacy built ej257 gt30r 6spd r180 and brembos Bitches 402whp @22psi :D -sexy red
94' Impreza wagon AWD 2.2ltr rally wagon FTW!
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Can YOU tune it, or is it only tuneable by a proprietary tuner that costs a shit ton of money?

If I can plug it into my laptop and start fucking with things, I'll order one right now and stuff some fat injectors into the car and tune 16psi instead of just fudging it with stock setup.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

Word. I'm also interested as to how one tunes it.
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
91SS 5MT awaiting engine rebuild and VF36...
92SS 4EAT - RIP :(
94SS 5MT4.11+rLSD 289k km: RobTune550,TD05-16g @ 18psi,FMIC,3"TBE,Forester lift
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

well here is the description from the rallitek website:
PerfectPower is a 'piggyback' ECU designed to correct fueling and timing. This is a wire in unit that can be sent pre-programmed to meet the needs of your car. PerfectPower is simple to install, (must be soldered in) and includes wiring diagrams, and installation instructions. PerfectPower can be programmed by you with the addition of the 'tuning cable'.
whatever the "tuning cable" is seems to be the key towards adjusting the unit yourself.
96 Impreza L sedan
00 Impreza RS sedan
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

You forgot the next part, "...for an additional $599.95"

Seriously, I hope they don't overcharge for that.
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
-K-
Third Gear

Post by -K- »

There are ones that come tuned for a model of car. Ours is not one of them so yes you can adjust the whole thing.
I got the full unlocked developers model, with a cable to hook up to my laptop and the software for it.

Out the door $459.98 later, as you can see the cable and software adds about $100, but I get total control. The maps are easy to use and adjust. I'm sure any tuner could work with it no problem if you needed it. It's 8x16 maps that you put numbers in to adjust more or less of the signal going to the ECU.

The wiring is going to be fun, it's all going to be soldered in and there is no diagram for the Legacy SS. I have to make sure it's right but I have the pinout for the Legacy and the SMT6 so I'll get it ok.

Like I said they DON'T have one programmed for our cars BUT they will sell you one you can tune.
02 WRX Sedan, 5mt
93 Sport Sedan, 5mt
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

-K- wrote:There are ones that come tuned for a model of car. Ours is not one of them so yes you can adjust the whole thing.
I got the full unlocked developers model, with a cable to hook up to my laptop and the software for it.

Out the door $459.98 later, as you can see the cable and software adds about $100, but I get total control. The maps are easy to use and adjust. I'm sure any tuner could work with it no problem if you needed it. It's 8x16 maps that you put numbers in to adjust more or less of the signal going to the ECU.

The wiring is going to be fun, it's all going to be soldered in and there is no diagram for the Legacy SS. I have to make sure it's right but I have the pinout for the Legacy and the SMT6 so I'll get it ok.

Like I said they DON'T have one programmed for our cars BUT they will sell you one you can tune.
i was just about to send an email to rallitek asking all the questions you just answered.

does it come w/any base maps at all?

or is it a blank slate for me to screw up?

i hope you are going to document the installation process for all of us. thanks for being the pioneer.
96 Impreza L sedan
00 Impreza RS sedan
-K-
Third Gear

Post by -K- »

I'll keep notes and take some pic's for you all. There are no maps in it, clean slate. The cool thing about that is it being a piggyback ECU if you leave all the numbers at 0 it will run stock.
Then you can fuck it up from there :D
02 WRX Sedan, 5mt
93 Sport Sedan, 5mt
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

K,

One thing I'm curious to see is how/if the ECU adjusts/learns around the piggyback....or if that's not an issue with our ECU's.

It'd be nice to have reprogrammed stock ECU, but depending on when/if that happens, this looks like a pretty reasonable alternative.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

nice, I'm looking forward to the results.
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
azn2nr
Fifth Gear

Post by azn2nr »

i wonder if any of you could use N/A ecu plugs and make the thing plug and play
-jason
[quote="Scoobyniteowl"] Chasin' @$$ is a great form of exercise and if you do get any, then that is more exercise[/quote]
-K-
Third Gear

Post by -K- »

They told me that the obd1 cars are a joy to piggyback because they are not smart enough to learn around.
02 WRX Sedan, 5mt
93 Sport Sedan, 5mt
555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 555BCTurbo »

Man...gotta love dumb computers!!!

:D
Nick

1987 Audi 4000CS quattro...soon to be 20VT
1994 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD, #11 plate, 30 psi, Scotty II intake, 4" exhaust
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

just joined the rallitek forum

http://rallitek.net/forums/index.php?

apparently this thing is pretty new.

subiesport is doing a article on it in the august (i think) issue.
96 Impreza L sedan
00 Impreza RS sedan
Tleg93
Fifth Gear

Post by Tleg93 »

Maybe I'm looking far ahead but if you can program these on the fly using the stock maps then even if it learned around them you wipe it clean and use the adjusted parameters as a new base and readjust them. Maybe you could just set the programming cable up in the car and just plug a laptop into it whenever you needed to adjust something.
--Scott--

1991 - Rio Red SS
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Scott - That's how the TurboXS UTEC is. You have the cable in the car and just hook it up to the laptop. only problem is that you have to upload maps, so you can't live-tune.

That's my other question. Can you tune in real time with this? Like can you make changes while you drive, or while you are experiencing some problem, etc, or do you need to stop, build a map, then upload that?

I might pick one of these up, just to give it a go. Good find K!

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
-K-
Third Gear

Post by -K- »

Well you can load two maps and switch them but I never asked about real time tune. He did say I could come up and they would fine tune it on the dyno if I wanted. He also mentioned riding around in the passenger seat with his laptop so I guess you can tune real time.

The perfect power is really new, and they were so excited to show it to me, and all the cool things it does. :) They weren't even really selling it to me it was just like show and tell.
02 WRX Sedan, 5mt
93 Sport Sedan, 5mt
azn2nr
Fifth Gear

Post by azn2nr »

you can live tune utec. at least thats what a couple of us were doing a few months ago.

500 is alot of money though.
-jason
[quote="Scoobyniteowl"] Chasin' @$$ is a great form of exercise and if you do get any, then that is more exercise[/quote]
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

azn2nr wrote:you can live tune utec. at least thats what a couple of us were doing a few months ago.

500 is alot of money though.
No, you can get data, make a map, then upload it to the UTEC. All of the UTEC's I've played with and talked to Kelley @ Perfection about, have been that way.

dzx
Fifth Gear

Post by dzx »

not a bad price at all.
///M
'93 Legacy SS - part out
-K-
Third Gear

Post by -K- »

OK got it wired in, wish me luck.
I'm going to do the software setup and see if it runs.
02 WRX Sedan, 5mt
93 Sport Sedan, 5mt