OK - give me your wish list

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

musketeerracing
First Gear

OK - give me your wish list

Post by musketeerracing »

I've trolled around here, but i want you experts to weigh in. Here's the premise:

I'm hosting a TV series on car modifications http://www.canada.com/entertainment/fea ... index.html

First we're doing Neons, then Golfs, then 240SX, but I'm hoping to do a Legacy episode...or possibly Imprezas for rally (sorry).

Anyway I'm going to be working on my own car over the summer, in the background while all these builds are going on.

And here's what I'm thinking:

I've got my good 1990 NA 5MT, and a 1991 Turbo 4EAT with a bad trans, LSD, and a clackity engine.

I want to extract the engine, LSD, rear brakes, and hood from the Turbo.

I've got a Saab TMIC setup ready.

So, what am I going to do to this engine? I think it needs a partial or extensive rebuild - it's clacking and smoking.

So I'll go through it, but what do i want to do? I can get intakes and exhausts made no problem (having rally sponsors has advantages). But:

Can the standard engine handle, say, 20lbs?
What should I use for a boost controller?
What do i have to do to fool the ECU?
Injectors sufficient?
Fuel pump sufficient?
What would the best intake look like? Give me your wish (the coffee cup mod be damned) and we can have that made and do a group buy if you want - keep in mind though I'm looking at going into the TMIC.
What else do I have to do?
Do I want to modify the inside of the hood to duct to the Saab TMIC?

Nowwwwwwww - anyone want to be involved in the builds? We're looking for 96 car builders June-Sept. in Hamilton Ontario...

ACP
www.musketeerracing.com
ACP
www.musketeerracing.com
1991 Legacy SS 5MT Rally car (sold)
1993 Legacy SS 5MT Street car (selling)
1997 Lancer Evo IV RS Rally car (sold)
2006 Lancer Evo IX RS Rally car
2009 Lancer Evo X RS Rally car
1989 240SX SR20 Drift car
musketeerracing
First Gear

Uh - sorry - thought I posted this in "engine" but it seems to be in Turbo - moderator, put where appropriate...
ACP
www.musketeerracing.com
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

21 psi on a rebuilt sounds good, also port the heads.
boost controller: hks or turbosmart boost controller.
fooling ecu: greddy e-manage take car of that problem.
injectors: 04 - 05 sti injectors.
fuel pump: bigger is better.
intake set up: hks air filter, maf, cone shape tube, factory rubber turbo intake.
what else: one seat and good drive (me) left in shell, good suspension, rims tires, tuning, headers, down pipe an straight pipe, gauges for tuning so its not a bomb, huge brakes or its not worth doing anything that I have typed out, also a bigger turbo.
intercooler: I would get a fmic, but you want tmic the biggest one you can make fit nice would be ok.
hood: sti hood scoop for your huge thick wide long tmic.

I hope this is well funded and I live in Hamilton Ontario and you can sign me up musketeerracing?
1993 Subaru Legacy 44B STi 4Cam 16Valve Turbo Intercooled AWD
EJ22T, STi EJ207 DOHC, Vi-PEC (Spare Autronic) @ 426.20HP / 394.94ft lb @ 00psi
Tuned By: Franz Diebold ( DIEBOLD AUTOSPORT ) @ NVauto
musketeerracing
First Gear

OK - You're going a little hot for my own build - I don't want to buy STI injectors and a FMIC setup if I can avoid it. Keep the advice coming guys.

As for getting on the show they are really looking for people. See the link above and you will find the email address to send your interest too.

Oh, OK - here it is:

warofwheels@breakthroughfilms.com
ACP
www.musketeerracing.com
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

you should check out the Perfect Power piggyback ecu from Rallitek.

-K- has a thread about it.

i have a thread going at the rallitek forum about it too.

has the capability for 3 maps. fuel timing and a third that i would use for water injection.

it is about 450. but needs a wideband O2 to tune. soon they will have base maps for the sort sedean

all that is left for this car is engine, right?
96 Impreza L sedan
97 legacy outback limited
00 Impreza RS sedan
musketeerracing
First Gear

Well, Innovate is another sponsor and let me tell you guys - that's the best value in the tuning industry I think - that wideband has saved us engines - blew three before we bagan using it, blown none in the 18 months since. www.innovatemotorsports.com

What do you mean "all that is left is engine"? I bought take-off WRX suspension on ebay and some turbo rims with Falkens here. Both are serving me just fine and fit into my Q-ship ambitions for the car. I've got 4.11 in it and will rebuild the rear diff with the 4.11 and the LSD out of the turbo donor. With the turbo rear brakes and steel flex line the brakes won't be epic but I can still put 15" rally tires on if need be...

Any other ideas? The best sounrces for the preferred stuff?

A.
ACP
www.musketeerracing.com
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

Wishlist eh? Hook it up with that Jennifer Lee chick. :)
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

musketeerracing wrote: What do you mean "all that is left is engine"? I bought take-off WRX suspension on ebay and some turbo rims with Falkens here. Both are serving me just fine and fit into my Q-ship ambitions for the car. I've got 4.11 in it and will rebuild the rear diff with the 4.11 and the LSD out of the turbo donor. With the turbo rear brakes and steel flex line the brakes won't be epic but I can still put 15" rally tires on if need be...
for some reason i thought you stuck some DMS under the car.

an old RS hood scoop would be cool.

what color is this car?

some gold 98 RS wheels may look cool.

light crank pulley perhaps?

how about a CES downpipe?

by your use of the elipsis at the end i am assuming you would take this machine out to a few rally crosses?

you should try out evloutionmovement's hella 90mm headlight conversion. the thread is in the electronics forum.

i hope you do a segment on the widebands.

any chance of this show being available for us geographically challenged americans? DVD perhaps.
96 Impreza L sedan
00 Impreza RS sedan
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

you think you could talk the show into making one show dedicated to rally and having the cars fight it out on a short rallysprin/rallycross type format. that would be on my wishlist for the show.

maybe something like the japanese dirt trials. which are sort of high speed rallycross.
96 Impreza L sedan
00 Impreza RS sedan
musketeerracing
First Gear

Jen's a doll.

Mark at DMS was helpful as always but I ended up just with the WRX setup with DMS top adapters at the rear. I'd do a set of DMS if I could but all that truly fancy stuff goes to the rally car.

Yeah - rallycrosses maybe. Also I'm writing the supplied pacenotes for a rally in a few weeks, and plan to use this as a recce car for rallies where we make our own notes too.

Good ideas on the other stuff - does a 2.5RS hood scoop fit the legacy hood? Car is gold (funny you should ask - I CAN'T decide on another color except like the Rothmans rally car above, but that sort of undermines the q-ship thing...suggestions?). I will DEFINITELY look at that headlight conversion.

Please everyone apply to the show and say you heard about it from me, here. We're really looking for good people. You meet your three team members and have 3 days and $15K to build the cars. Get a few of you guys together with a legacy and we could show that real tuning happens.

I'm working on the Subaru episode being a rallycross at the end - one of the Bancroft ones north of Toronto.

The hope is that the series will sell to a US network. Stay tuned.
ACP
www.musketeerracing.com
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

You will have to cut the hood a bit, but the RS scoop will fit. I was looking into that option with my own.....

The standard engine is pretty stout, so it could pretty easily handle 20 PSI......
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

That being said, everything I post is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by scottzg »

You're going to want to move both front and rear turbo brakes over.
[url=http://www.thawa.net/gallery/albums/album108/DSCF0330.jpg]90 legacy of awesomeness[/url]
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Skirts that retract and extend with the suspension to stay at near ground level and a small motor where the rear seat is running fans to pull air from the nearly sealed undercarriage and out venturi stacks through the roof or vented out a back panel.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
musketeerracing
First Gear

Now THAT is monster.

And weird.

(how are the headlights coming? I'm ready to buy a set - I can supply cores - have a price?)
ACP
www.musketeerracing.com
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

evolutionmovement wrote:Skirts that retract and extend with the suspension to stay at near ground level and a small motor where the rear seat is running fans to pull air from the nearly sealed undercarriage and out venturi stacks through the roof or vented out a back panel.

Steve
Get a kinda JGTC-style widebody kit with the diffusers just behind the front & rear wheels. That'd look wicked......
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

That being said, everything I post is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

I stole the idea from the Chaparral 2J. Thought it would go well with the 900+ HP Legacy wagon in my third novel.

The headlights need to be assembled with the lenses and frilly crap. As for making some - I'm just doing the brackets in the OEM housings; lenses and making them look good are up to you. Just tell me where in the buckets you want them oriented (outside justified, inside justified, evenly spaced, etc.). I'm thinking $50-$60 total for parts & labor on both buckets + the shipping, of course. That's about as cheap as I can reasonably do.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
musketeerracing
First Gear

How much are the actual lights and where can I get them?

NOTE I am as we speak drafting what I'm guessing the two teams of mechanics will do to two early Legacies in the build. Get your names into the audition!
ACP
www.musketeerracing.com
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

I got the lights from Daniel Stern lighting. They were, like 59 ea. and you'll need the connectors for them. You don't need the adjusters as they come with the lamps or the mounting plate if you go with the units I'm building.

Steve
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

musketeerracing wrote:How much are the actual lights and where can I get them?

NOTE I am as we speak drafting what I'm guessing the two teams of mechanics will do to two early Legacies in the build. Get your names into the audition!
you can get them here too:

http://www.rallylights.com/hella/90mm_modules.asp

Custom Cages makes a good cage kit for the 1st gen legacy. mike wray uses one in his PGT SS. survived a light roll very well.

if i were to build a impreza i would try to build a 22b replica but a 4 door instead of a coupe.

if we apply and get accepted do we pay our own way to get there?
96 Impreza L sedan
00 Impreza RS sedan
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

this show makes no cents, or i dont get it one or the other. first off who gives the money out to do your wish list? how much cash we working with. if money is no object in this then i will tell my dad to put the Ferrari Testarosa boxer 12 cyc motor i got sitting in my garage in a legacy and call it a day.

3days to build a car this show is a show and now go contest, how you going to paint the car, and put all your motor together, tune it an dont for get about back orders. becuse you will be wiatting for parts for a ej22t motor.
musketeerracing
First Gear

OK - first, my legacy is my legacy and has nothing to do with the show - it's just my side project in the background.

In the show, you get 3 days and $15K CDN to spend on the car. We work with the teams in the weeks before the show to order all the parts they think they want. And we're working on relationships with suppliers for the typical emergency last second stuff. But, for example, we'll have all the gaskets etc. specific to a given engine on hand already.

You have to get yourself to the show, I'm afraid. Welcome to reality TV.

If you know any suppliers who you think might be interested in working with the show for advertising, please let me know. The pilot featured, for example, Yokohama and Edelbrock. I'm develping a huge list of everyone we want to try to work with.

A
ACP
www.musketeerracing.com
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

you should try and get whiteline on the list if they arent allready. they have nissan stuff too. and more im sure.

how about tein.
96 Impreza L sedan
00 Impreza RS sedan
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

What do you think of this setup I've been eyeing?

http://www.zeitronix.com/Products/zt2/zt2.htm

Nice datalogging wideband with lots of inputs and pc connection. For $628 you get the wideband kit, screen, egt sensor, boost sensor, and neat thingy that turns off accessories over 60% throttle.

I like the fact that it will save me mucho bucks on all the gauges I would otherwise need. Plus it can be used to tune other cars. Hmmmm, can I say side job? Granted I don't blow my car up first 8)
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

ok i enter the show, i dont no how good i will be cuz i dont got papers to tell you i am a master at what i no, but i got a HUGE amount of proof if you want to come bye my house and look around.
JasonGrahn
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by JasonGrahn »

Andrew,

This engine can handle much boost.
Boost controller - eh, depends on how elaborate you want to go. If you go with aftermarket ECU goodies it can control all that - Autronic, Motec, whatever, but you know those names and you know what they do.
IF you want to go max boost, of course you know you'll need to up the injectors. Turbo will need to be upgraded, incooler duties, etc.

I won't guarantee it, but if you want sponsorship for the show we have springs for the BC chassis. PM me if you want some contact information.
-Jason Grahn