My custom grill mod of DOOM!!!1!

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

My custom grill mod of DOOM!!!1!

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

I got bored, so I finally got around to modding my grill. I just cut out the main cross bars, neatened everything up, and added some black mesh behind everything. I used some rivets backed with washers to hold it on. You can see this in the third picture.

I also painted my emblem red. Main reason I did this was so that I could test some paint to see if it was close to Rio Red, so I could paint my fender.

Here's some pics (click for full-sized images):

Shortly after I took these, the glue I was using ate through the red paint on my emblem. I scraped it all off and re-painted it. I'm going to try gluing it back on when it is fully cured this time.

I was going to leave it silver with the black mesh, but I ran out of silver paint. I painted it black instead, because I had a few cans lying around (keep it fast, keep it flat black...).

I'm planning on painting the main grill body-color later, but for mow.......
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

That being said, everything I post is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
sullione
Second Gear

Post by sullione »

Man, that looks pretty sweet!!!
James
1991 Legacy LSi sold!!!
2003 Infiniti G35
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

And cheap.

The mesh was just gutterguard material from Home Depot (I need a Home Depot racing sticker for my car, considering how much stuff I get from there....) that cost me all of $1.29 or so.

The red paint was the most expensive, but that's just because I got the scratch fix 2-in-1 pen.

Everything else I just had lying around. Used a hacksaw blade to cut off the bar pieces, and a fine file to tweak everything.

I have the little bar pieces on the back of the grill to line it up.

I may try re-doing it later (to get rid of the solid bits at either side of the opening), but for now I think it looks sweet. Rather unique if I do say so myself.
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Right on, very nice! I'm impressed. From those pictures it looks very sharp.

:)
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

I used fiberglass and touch up filler to fill the void left when you completely remove the crossbars. Don't use the touch up filler - use regular body filler instead. Best thing for the emblem is to use double sided trim tape. I use it for everything.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

I couldn't find any of that when I was looking. I just got a tube of emblem and trim adhesive. It melted the paint.

Then again, I think I just didn't let it cure long enough. This time, I put the red on, then cleared the entire badge. I'm gonna let it cure overnight, and then try again.

I'll get some pics when I finally get it on the car.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
AWD_addict
Fifth Gear

Post by AWD_addict »

I like your choice of mesh. That's hot shit.
90 L+ wgn
brando
First Gear

Post by brando »

thats hot!! nicely done!
1998 GT
1994 GT
jake15
Fourth Gear

Post by jake15 »

hehe, that looks almost exactly like mine, except i like the mesh you used better.

how close is that scratch fix pen to the rio red? i have a few scratches that need fixing.....
90' legacy built ej257 gt30r 6spd r180 and brembos Bitches 402whp @22psi :D -sexy red
94' Impreza wagon AWD 2.2ltr rally wagon FTW!
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

I've been thinking of doing that for a while, but seeing pics of yours made me finally decide to do it.

I dunno how close it is yet. I kinda eyeballed it in the store, and haven't had a chance to use it on the car yet. It started raining on my way home..... I've actually been doing all the painting in my garage with a dehumidifier and fans going.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
Kelly
Fourth Gear

Post by Kelly »

Good work man!

Please post pics of it installed!

:shock:
Warp3
First Gear

Post by Warp3 »

evolutionmovement wrote:Best thing for the emblem is to use double sided trim tape. I use it for everything.
Agreed...that's what they include with the Impreza "I" badges directly from Subaru. I used 3M double-sided tape (available in any auto parts store) on the badge on my 2.5RS and the paint was perfectly fine.
Shane
2006 Subaru WRX TR
1989 Toyota MR2
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

It was fine this morning when I put it back on.

I think I just hadn't let the paint cure long enough (2-3 hours tops).

I also went ahead and pulled back off my headlights for a de-orangepeeling. They're drying right now.

I'll get pics when I get everything back together later today or tomorrow.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

Here's some pics.

Once again, click on thumbnail for full-sized pic

The paint is just a bit too bright for my Rio Red. Here's a pic of where I filled in a scratch on the trunk lid and wetsanded/polished it back up. The factory paint was so thin that I actually sanded through it at one spot.

Sorry for the crappy pic quality. My dad has our 5 MP digicam in Australia, so these were taken with my sub 1 MP PDA.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS