Ghetto water squirter

Front, Top, Air, Water.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Tleg93
Fifth Gear

Ghetto water squirter

Post by Tleg93 »

I rigged up a little deal with my windshield washer system today to squirt my intercooler. It involved four zip ties, two squirters and some small sections of hose. I didn't notice a significant drop in pressure either.

My question is how corrosive or destructive is winshield washer fluid to the intercooler?
--Scott--

1991 - Rio Red SS
pw422
Second Gear

Post by pw422 »

can you post pic, I was planning to do the same thing.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

It's not really corrosive/destructive.

windshield washer fluid is just soap and may contain some alcohol....not sure about that though.

Worst thing I think that could happen is you squirt the intercooler, run through dust and your intercooler gets dirty/caked
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Most windshield washer fluid doesn't have soap in it. It's actually a relatively untainted mixture of water and methanol (plus a little bit of blue dye). The mixture is actually great for intercooler spraying, better than straight water. It's what I used when I ran the Saab intercooler.

Just make sure you get the plain cheap blue stuff... You certainly don't want any of that Rain-X stuff or whatever.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
Tleg93
Fifth Gear

Post by Tleg93 »

I'll get a pic up soon. It was quite easy to do.
--Scott--

1991 - Rio Red SS
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

I wanna see this. I guess I'll see it today though. If it's real easy I might do it for the F&S.
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
pw422
Second Gear

Post by pw422 »

just curious, would it be worth while to do a drain pan underneath the intercooler. It would also serve as a heat sheild to help keep the heat from the engine and turbo and when you spray the winshiield liquid, it will prvent spray all over the wiring underheath.
Tleg93
Fifth Gear

Post by Tleg93 »

Upon looking at what was done, there needs to be more modifications. The sprayers need to be off of a 96 I think. I guess they spray in a circle as opposed to a jet. My original setup was rushed and was actually squirting through the fins. :oops:
--Scott--

1991 - Rio Red SS
-K-
Third Gear

Post by -K- »

I think I remember a post with the part # for STi IC sprayers. I think they were pretty cheap as well. I'd give the local Subaru dealership a try and see what they cost. I'd rather run something that was made for the job.
02 WRX Sedan, 5mt
93 Sport Sedan, 5mt
Tleg93
Fifth Gear

Post by Tleg93 »

It's a ghetto squirter. It probably doesn't do a whole lot in reality. You can get cryo sprayers and what not if you want to go all out.
--Scott--

1991 - Rio Red SS
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

I like the CryO2 intake air cooler. Used CO2 in a bulb in the intake tract. It was shaped so it didn't hinder air flow, and just ran compressed CO2 through it.

They also have a fuel rail cooler to cool down the fuel before it gets injected......
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

That being said, everything I post is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
scoobiedoo22
First Gear

STi I/C Water Sprayers

Post by scoobiedoo22 »

Here is the part number for the STi Sprayers: ZX58794WZ353

They usually list for about $9 each on subaruparts.com, was considering doing this once I get my IC installed.

John
1991 Legacy SS 5-Speed

1999 Impreza 2.5RS Coupe
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

IronMonkeyL255 wrote:I like the CryO2 intake air cooler. Used CO2 in a bulb in the intake tract. It was shaped so it didn't hinder air flow, and just ran compressed CO2 through it.

They also have a fuel rail cooler to cool down the fuel before it gets injected......
Does the CO2 vent once it goes through the bulb? That's what I thought, however someone mentioned it was recircing back to the tank.....and I just don't see how that'd work....
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
dzx
Fifth Gear

Post by dzx »

IronMonkeyL255 wrote:I like the CryO2 intake air cooler. Used CO2 in a bulb in the intake tract. It was shaped so it didn't hinder air flow, and just ran compressed CO2 through it.

Saw that cry02 intake air cooler in a magazine i've had for a while. I was looking at it earlier tonight, looked pretty cool.
///M
'93 Legacy SS - part out
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

They've just got a system by where you can hook up a fuel rail cooler, an intake tract cooler, and among other things, an intercooler-cooler (heh). With one supply of compressed CO2 which is insanely cheap to refill, you can seriously cool all the important crap. They've got it running through the various cooler pieces (and eventually OUT the intercooler-cooler, which is more of a sprayer). The CO2 will immediately cool whatever chamber it expands into, so they've got it running from the bottle to the intake bulb (where it expands into and cools the bulb, allowing the intake air to cool on its way in and around the bulb), to the fuel rail cooler (same thing, expands into the cooler chamber), and then sprayed out directly onto the intercooler, where it really does some cooling.

I've always wanted to be far enough ahead in my modifications to where I could say, "You know, the only thing I have left to increase performance on this monster is to add the CO2 cooling system..." -- because then, it would make a HELL of a difference...
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
91SS 5MT awaiting engine rebuild and VF36...
92SS 4EAT - RIP :(
94SS 5MT4.11+rLSD 289k km: RobTune550,TD05-16g @ 18psi,FMIC,3"TBE,Forester lift