Holy smokes!

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Holy smokes!

Post by legacy92ej22t »

So, at the Feed and Speed Phil pointed out that I left a plume of smoke when I pulled away from my house which concerned me slightly because I've also had people that were following me say that my car smells like it is burning oil. I've also noticed that the BJ engine feels very weak compared to my old engine and so Phil and I did a side by side pull and he pulled on me when he was running 10 psi and I was running 15 psi. :evil: Phil and I really are almost exactly mod for mod so I should have pulled on him easily. After the F&S I've gone back to wastegate boost which on the 16G is 9 psi.

So, yesterday I noticed that my HLA started ticking really loud so I checked the oil. The dipstick showed no oil! I just did an oil change around 3 weeks ago and it took 3 quarts to get the oil level back up to whgere it should be! This engine ate 3 quarts in 3 weeks! I have a serious problem. I'm definitely not leaking the oil so it must be blow by either from bad rings or something in the valve train. Looks like it's time for a compression test. Unfortunately, if this engine is a turd this may really be the end of my relationship with Subarina. That or the end of my relationship with my wife. :cry: She will not stand by for another swap/ rebuild ect.. I'm worried. I have my other engine that I could rebuild while limping the BJ engine around but I in no way have the cash to do it. I probably couldn't even afford the gaskets at this point.

Whoa is me. This sucks. :(
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

That sucks. It's one thing after another with that car and you don't even seem to get a break in between. I hated my 260Z for less. I'd try to offer some encouraging words, but I'm too much a pragmatist.

Vikash said he saw some smoke from mine under hard acceleration also, so now I'm dealing with maybe just getting a cheap N/A or trying to put my old one back together while I do the rings like I wish I had the time to do last year. I wish I had a cheap beater and some money to just finish the damn car right, but it's like I'm always chasing something else. I don't even have any kids so you get the award for car sob story.

And the rich get richer, buying their ugly spouses $200k boats for their birthdays. Why didn't I listen to my mother and become a hitman?

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
corsair
Third Gear

Post by corsair »

I wish my Mom would let me be a hitman.

I've got a garage and a big driveway. You could just buy that touring wagon and give me Subarina as a present. Under the condition that I get the engine rebuilt. You could drive her on weekends and when you're lonely. I could empty out all my coffers of hard earned Papa Johns money on her.

summary: I want to be a hitman, then I could afford to buy Matt's car and get it rebuilt without the headache.
Sam
'93 L AWD Wagon
'08 Honda Civic Si Sedan
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

"Hitman" definately pays better than "Struggling Engineer."

Damn career choices.

Boo to Matt's wife not understanding the connection between car and man. Subarina should be rebuilt, we have the technology....we can build her better, faster, stronger, better gas mileage...
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
91SS 5MT awaiting engine rebuild and VF36...
92SS 4EAT - RIP :(
94SS 5MT4.11+rLSD 289k km: RobTune550,TD05-16g @ 18psi,FMIC,3"TBE,Forester lift
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Steve- No kidding, I don't even get time to catch my breath. :(

Chris- My new saying is " a properly tuned car equals an improperly tuned marraige!". :lol:

Sam- Damn, the vultures are circling already! :p
-Matt

'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

As much as I love my cars if it's between a great woman and the car, car loses. Regular women, though ...

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

haha.... word. Although, Great women are so tough to come by.

Or even near.

(Ba-zing)
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
91SS 5MT awaiting engine rebuild and VF36...
92SS 4EAT - RIP :(
94SS 5MT4.11+rLSD 289k km: RobTune550,TD05-16g @ 18psi,FMIC,3"TBE,Forester lift
Tleg93
Fifth Gear

Post by Tleg93 »

I don't know what I would do in your shoes, Matt. I get frustrated with my car and I don't have these major issues yet. Right now, I just have to pass inspection and be easy on the girl. Hopefully, you'll reach a happy place soon.
--Scott--

1991 - Rio Red SS
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

:(

Do the compression test to find out, but it probably is blowby getting past the rings.

There's no reason you can't drive an engine in that condition for a good while as long as you check the oil when you refuel, right? If they don't load the engine at the inspection station then it should still be able to pass emissions. And running only 9 psi the condition shouldn't rapidly worsen.

But what bugs me is all the other gremlins Subarina's suffering from too. Why can't she just run right? You treat her well enough!

Did Phil have the WRX intercooler when he pulled on you?
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

I suppose I did have the WRX intercooler then...
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

I passed safety and emmision inspection yesterday. They only check that you have a cat and PCV system ect.. and that your gas cap holds pressure and doesn't leak for the emmisions, here in this part of PA.

Even at 9 psi and trying to stay off the throttle it seems like the engine is on its way out. It seems to be getting weaker and weaker. It could be that my plugs are getting fouled though too I guess. :?

Phil did have the WRX TMIC in but even so. I don't think it's such an improvement that it would over power my car (which besides that is really almost exactly the same) running +5 psi. It wasn't like he was just barely pulling on me either. He was noticably faster. :cry:

I still won the F&S though! Hahahahahaha. =)
-Matt

'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
corsair
Third Gear

Post by corsair »

bummer Matt, out of curiosity which ECU are you running? Do you have the BJ one? Could it be the ECU? I really have no idea.
Sam
'93 L AWD Wagon
'08 Honda Civic Si Sedan
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

I'm running my OEM ECU. I know that I have an ECU or wiring problem. That wouldn't cause the blow by though.

Vikash- I think Subarina should be treating me better too. She's like a girlfriend that you dote (sp?) over and then she walk all over you and treats you like crap. The little bitch. :(
-Matt

'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
professor
Third Gear

Post by professor »

how common are worn valve guides in Subarus ? Most oil-eaters I've seen over the years, consume their dialy dose through the valve guides

Has your situation changed rapidly ? Cuz rings usually don't unless you busted something, and then usually you will have an ignition miss if one cylinder is that far gone

if your PCV system has been messed with, that could create rapid oil loss through rings or the valve guides, if your crankcase is getting pressurized

yes I would think a plug inspection and compression test would be in order. I don't know how hard it is to replace subaru valve guides but in most cars it is easy enough to go ahead and do a mild head rebuild (clean up, re-seating valves, guides, hla if bad)then see what happens. If your block is bad you will still have good heads to use elsewhere, or sell
That beer you are drinking cost more than my car
professor
Third Gear

Post by professor »

forgot to add, take a look at your turbo compressor wheel to see if you have an oil seal leak there, that could feed the oil to your cylinders in a hurry. if so the compressor wheel will be messy, very
That beer you are drinking cost more than my car
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

The valve seals are easy, but he can't afford to have the car down to do it. It does take a little time, of course. He'd be better off rebuilding the whole original engine, but that's his problem.

Steve
-K-
Third Gear

Post by -K- »

It could be the turbo.

When I need to rebuild I'm going to get a set of total seal rings, I've heard they kick ass on turbo engines.
02 WRX Sedan, 5mt
93 Sport Sedan, 5mt