Goodbye Rosie....

This is for non-Subaru related topics. Keep it realistic please.

Moderator: Moderators

legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Goodbye Rosie....

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Well, the wife and I decided to get rid of our Tahoe. She's commuting about 80-90 miles a day and we're spending around $100 a week just in gas! :shock:

Well, just the other day I get a call from the wife while I'm at work and she says the cars making a bump-bump noise everytime she hits a bump and wants to know why. "Uh....I don't know from you just saying it goes bump-bump, dear. I'll have to look at it when I get home" It ends up being that the torsion mounts are broke and the center diff is smacking against the Tranny cross member. This pissed me off because the car was just inspected last week. I also noticed what looked like gear oil all over the middle underside of the car.

Took the car to the stealership and told them to also pull the codes off the puter because I'm sick of staring at the CEL. I get the call back and there's a huge list of problems. Biggest thing is that they say what I thought was gear oil is tranny fluid and that the TC is seized and the tranny's all burned up. They want to replace it (fuck you). The engine is also eating coolant and the guy says something about the intake gasket. I actually laughed. Unless I know nothing about it I don't think a bad intake manifold gasket is going to cause the engine to eat coolant. :roll: Maybe he meant to say head gasket but I think they're just idiots because it was all steming from a "low coolant" code. Uh ya asshat, I had o replace the water pump because it was leaking! Old code fucknut. Also has a bad O2 sensor and blah-de-la-de. They quote me $5000 to fix the car. I tell him to piss off, fix the torsion mount, top off the fluids and give me my car back so I can go dump that GM piece of shit some where else. HE starts saying that I should trade it in there. Ya, ok, let me buy another huge royal POS from you, I think not.

Pretty ironic that we decide to get rid of this car and it takes a huge shit on us just before we can dump it. We're probably going to lose our asses on it. :evil:

In the last year we've replaced the water pump, ps pump, fuel pump, fuel filter, front axle seals, rear axle seals, torsion mounts and then the tranny craps out and the O2 sensor (not that big of a deal). Fuckin' GM piece of shit.

We're looking to trade it in on either a '97 Outback that we found. 97k, listed for $7,995. Or a 2000 Xterra with 92k, listed for $10,890. I really want a 4runner but we can't find one at a good price. The Outback is nice (except it's 4eat), the Xterra is really nice but I still would like to have the subie because I can do all the service myself and save a butt load on down the road. If I had my way I'd put my gal in an older wagon (something under $4k) until we can get back on our feet because we're drowning financialy.

Oh by the way, no ECO, that's what you get for driving a gas guzzling, mammoth vehicle bullshit, please. In my state of mind I'm liable to hunt you down, cut every tree near your house down and spike your water supply with benzene.
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Don't get an XTerra. When they break, it's expensive. We have an 02, and it's been in the shop a lot. Nissan vastly overcharges, as well. To do the brakes, they wanted almost $600.

The subaru would be great, because you can fix stuff, but be wary the head gasket as you know.

Are there any Forester's in the area?
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Ya but they are generally a bit more expensive. The extra weight of the Forester hurts the power too. We had a Forester S before the Tahoe and that was our biggest complaint. It was just gutless unless you floor it and get it up around 5k rpm.

Do all the Outbacks have the EJ25? I thought a '97 might have an EJ22.

Good to know about the Xterra. When did you guys get one? Did your mom dump the Buick?
-Matt

'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

we got it in 02 or 03 or something. My dad drove it for a while, and then my sister is now driving it after she totaled her Altima.

Mom still has the Buick, which has problems of it's own (though under warranty). She kinda wants a Baja Turbo though.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

BAC5.2 wrote: She kinda wants a Baja Turbo though.
Sweet. :D
-Matt

'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

No joke, those Buicks are boring as hell but they ride nice and are pretty damn reliable.

What about trading in to another dealer for a new car? With the low rates and some of the deals going on you may be able to do pretty well. Trying to sell that Tahoe will suck with its problems and the price of gas (though get this, a $9 million yacht is staying here for a few weeks and it cost almost $20 GRAND to fill it up with diesel! I hate rich people). A friend of mine has a shit box Audi that she may try to trade in as she'll get nothing private sale, but it looks nice so the dealer will probably give her a decent price on it.

What's ECO?

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
tris91ricer
Title Whore

Post by tris91ricer »

Holy shit, $20Gs just to fill up?!?!?! omg.
[b]'92 L Sedan[/b]
EJ20g 4.11 5sp LSD

[quote]e46 owners tend to be twats.
[/quote]
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

20G's? Goddamn! How long does it take to fill something like a big yacht up, and how long will a full tank last? How much diesel does 20g's buy up there? I'm only partially familiar with on-the-water fueling stations.

Jeez, and to think I got upset last night because it cost me $10.09 to fill up.

evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

The 'boat' is a 112' Westport and it holds 6000 gallons of diesel. I don't know how long it lasts, but they took about 4 hrs to fill about 1/5 tank and spent $4500. It'll do 28 knots! The master bedroom's bath (all 7 bedrooms have their own baths) has a hot tub. They're oil people (they have to be, don't they?). The ship was a gift from the mother to her 30 year old son.

And intelligent gifted people can't afford to go to school. Rich people make me sick. Maybe that's one of the reasons I like the people here :lol: .

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Ah, the General...

That sucks that it shat the bed... but good riddance, I guess.

I think the only EJ22 Outbacks were the 1995 5MT models.

If you get the Outback the first thing to do would probably be to flush the cooling system and fill it with coolant plus Subaru's "cooling system conditioner." Early EJ25s without head gasket problems do in fact exist... Our family's 97 4EAT 2.5GT (mechanically pretty much identical to the car you're looking at, except a few dozen thousand miles older) is still on its factory head gaskets and seems to be doing fine...

I really think it would be good if you could get another Subaru. Like Phil says, it'd be easier to work in it yourself, and spare parts are fairly easily found at that place on Lycoming Creek Road. (I forget the name... Williamsport Auto?)
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

regarding the coolant leak through the intake manifold gasket on the 'hoe, small blck chevies have coolant passages in the intake manifold for the radiator hose elbow.
1994 Touring Wagon: ruby mica, 5mt swapped
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Don't have a 96 brochure, but the EJ25 did not exist until 96, so any 95 Outback, 4EAT or 5MT, will have the EJ22.

Matt, if you were gonna trade the Tahoe in on another GM product, now would be the time to do it, since they're doing this "employee pricing" or whatever bullshit gimmick it is... My grandpa actually just traded the CTS in on a new Deville yesterday for that reason...
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
dzx
Fifth Gear

Post by dzx »

You need a forester xt
///M
'93 Legacy SS - part out
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

No, I need a Legacy GT wagon 5eat w/sportshift. Then the wife could drive it and I could still have fun too!

Anyway you cut it, I can't afford a new car right now no matter what. Strictly used.
-Matt

'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

It's too bad only GM has the employee pricing. My brother-in-law just bought a 4wd Colorado with extended cab in the color he wanted for $17k and got $1k trade-in for his trashed (mostly from a break in where someone did almost a $1k in damage for a $120 stereo. Fuck heads.) '91 Maxima (glad to see that POS go). The interest rate is 0 or something super low also. If only Subaru would do that with the Legacy GT ...

Steve
-K-
Third Gear

Post by -K- »

GM is close to going under is what I heard. Also they slashed the employee discount to save money, then gave "everyone" the deal that's not that much of a deal anymore.

If you can do all the work on a Subaru I'd say find an older one in good condition and save the money for a future down payment on the Legacy GT.
02 WRX Sedan, 5mt
93 Sport Sedan, 5mt