SPEC clutches and Fly's

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

gt2.5turbo
Second Gear

SPEC clutches and Fly's

Post by gt2.5turbo »

Has anyone heard anything about their clutch and flywheel setups? or better yet is running one? im trying to find a good quality clutch that i can drive hard yet have it be fairly easy to street....

Here's their site: http://www.specclutch.com/specMain.html
Binford
Third Gear

Post by Binford »

I've got a Spec FW and pressure plate with an ACT street disc. I bought the FW and clutch kit used on Ebay and didn't want to run the old clutch. I never drove the car with the stock setup, so I don't know how it compares other than sitting in Legacytuners car and noticing a HUGE difference in pedal pressure. Also, in alot of slow stop-and-go driving it gets tiresome keeping the clutch depressed. Overall performance, I'm very pleased. I'm sure you won't regret it if you buy 'em. :D
'91 5MT SS-TD04, WRX TMIC, Bosal twin dump, Spec LW flywheel/pressure plate, FCD, Walbro fuel pump-RIP
'93 5MT N/A wagon, over 400,000 miles!-Gone, parts lived on
'94 Auto SS-vf24, WRX TMIC, Bosal twin dump, Meth kit coming soon!-Now RWD!
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

I run the Spec stage 1 clutch kit with the ACT streetlite FW and I like it for the most part. he only complaint I have is that it shudders a bit but this is because the syage 1 kit comes with the old Exedy WRX disc that is known to have shudder problems. I plan to go to a 6 puck ceramic in the future.
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
def09
First Gear

Post by def09 »

Sti Wrx FW, Disc and cover. Shudders like a MF.
Edit:Found loose nuts tiny bit of shudder. Love the 12lb flywheel.
Last edited by def09 on Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
douglas vincent
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by douglas vincent »

I am using a Kennedy 6 puck carbotic disk ($97) and a 02 RS pressure plate. I will break gears before it slips. No shudder and easy to drive. It does engage hard though if you are not careful.
Reddevil, Awaiting new heart, will it ever happen?
1990 wagon, EJ25 12.3 @ 116.5 FAST Family wagon getting new motor soon
1992 wagon, wifes daily, high compression
1992 Touring wagon, should I keep it?
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Exedy Stg.1 + pressure plate + LWflywheel and I dig it. A heavier flywheel would have been nice for launching, but I like quick blips to change gears.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
Warp3
First Gear

Post by Warp3 »

I had their SPEC Stage 2 (Kevlar) Clutch and their lightweight flywheel in my 2.5RS.

I hated the clutch (overheated too easily and once it did it was useless until it cooled back down again) and have since replaced it with an Exedy Stage I (organic) clutch kit instead.

I absolutely love the flywheel. From what I've heard, it is identical to a Fidanza flywheel (which makes sense as they are both right at 9 lbs or so), except SPEC uses their own ring gear and balances them themselves. Since it is aluminum, you don't resurface it during clutch swaps, but instead buy a replacement friction surface from Fidanza and swap that part out (which is exactly what I did when I installed the Exedy clutch kit).
Shane
2006 Subaru WRX TR
1989 Toyota MR2