AWD is FWD??????

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

anthonyle2002
In Neutral

AWD is FWD??????

Post by anthonyle2002 »

i have a 1990 subaru legacy AWD. i was wondering, if the rear wheels free roll if a tow truck was to come and pick it up. to my suprise it did which the manual says not to do. heres why i ask:

so i went to this place where we always get our cars fixed to have my transmission looked at cuz it was acting really weird. and they basically told me i needed a new one or to re-build it. so i got a used one from another subaru instead of rebuilding it cuz my car's old and i figure its gonna die soon (not the damn case, 181k and i drive it really hard but its just so damn good that it won't die). and so they got the transmission from a junkyard and put it in. but then that broke down real fast. and i went to ammco to see what was wrong. it turns out that the place where they got it gave me the wrong year. so i had ammco rebuild it and it runs. but then my alternator died and i had to tow it to a shop. and well... the rear wheels free rolled. but i had the guy put all four wheels on the dolly thing anyway.

so, i was wondering, how could i find out if my car is now AWD or FWD. i dunno if when the shop got the transmission from the junkyard whther or not it was AWD or FWD and if its possible they put a FWD in my car. thanks all.
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

you could probably check for a driveshaft.
peter@functionauto.com
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

The multiplate transfer clutch relies on ATF pressure to function. With the engine not running, it can't lock up at all and so slips. It can be damaged in this situation, though, as it's slipping without any lubrication.

You could check your AWD's functionality by raising all four corners of the car and putting the gear selector in "1," couldn't you?
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by scottzg »

are you automatic or manual?
[url=http://www.thawa.net/gallery/albums/album108/DSCF0330.jpg]90 legacy of awesomeness[/url]
anthonyle2002
In Neutral

at

Post by anthonyle2002 »

i have an automatic. whats a driveshaft and what does it look like?
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

It connects the transmission to the rear differential. If you car had been converted to FWD, you wouldn't have one. You can sort of see it in this MSPaint I made. The rear diff is circled and the thing in front of it that connects to the transmission is the driveshaft.

peter@functionauto.com
All_talk
Third Gear

Post by All_talk »

I've done the 4 wheels in the air thing, the rear engagement can be a little harsh with everything unloaded. Best way to test the AWD is to stomp the throttle from a stop in the gravel, the front will spin just a bit then the back will grab. You can hang your head out the door and watch the back wheel scratch to be sure.

Gary
No matter how broke I am... I always seem to find two cents.
Manarius
Fourth Gear

Post by Manarius »

All_talk wrote:I've done the 4 wheels in the air thing, the rear engagement can be a little harsh with everything unloaded. Best way to test the AWD is to stomp the throttle from a stop in the gravel, the front will spin just a bit then the back will grab. You can hang your head out the door and watch the back wheel scratch to be sure.

Gary
It's more fun to do in snow :D

I think you'll only get one wheel in front and 1 wheel back though...I don't think the rear or front diff will lock up.
Manarius wrote:The Neo-Cons would call me a defeatist. I'd call me a realist. I'm realistically saying that a snowball has better chances in the blazes of hell than democracy has in Iraq.
1995 Polo Green Subaru SVX (189k miles - 08/2007-Present)
Psychoreo
Second Gear

Post by Psychoreo »

easiest way to check for awd.
1. Look under the rear bumper of your car at the rear axle, if it has a pumpkin-ish "growth" in the middle, you have awd.
2. Check the sticker on the inside of the driverside door jam. FWD=front wheel drive, AWD=All wheel drive.
stupid electrical work...
drewdogg
In Neutral

Post by drewdogg »

Putting a AWD tranny on a FWD car will blow the tranny, and wrong year doesn't matter
95 Impreza L/X/RS
White/Gold