Those damned door dings..

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Legacypusher
First Gear

Those damned door dings..

Post by Legacypusher »

I really hate the inconsiderate jerks who ding our cars in parking lots, as I know you do. Today I tried something I have been meaning to do for years, and it worked amazingly well.

I took a burnisher, a tool that artists use to smooth ragged lines in etching or engraving plates, and went to work on a couple of dings in my gas filler flap to see how it worked. The back of the gas flap was easily accessible, and you have to work from the back of the panel, obviously. The warning sticker on the inside of the flap made things more difficult, since it isn't very slick. I took it slowly and gently, and rubbed in very small circles around the dings and was very pleased with the results. I still have minor paint scrapes which can probably be buffed out, but the dings went away. Slowly and gently are the key words.

Here's a photo of a burnisher, which is only 4 or 5 bucks at an art supply store:

http://www.donpettigrew.com/web125.html

I wish I had thought of taking before and after pics. I think you would be impressed with the difference.

When I next have a reason access exterior panels from inside, I know what I will do. You could probably use an old tea spoon or such, but you wouldn't have the precision of the burnisher. I hope this is of some help.
Don

'90 L wagon, fwd, 5MT, 156K, purchased new 11/89, and running like a top. What a great car this continues to be.
Manarius
Fourth Gear

Post by Manarius »

That kind of tool looks like the kind they used to remove the dents from my dad's '97 Camry. This "Dent Doctor's" Tool was a bit longer...and he could get it in the door without removing the window or molding inside the door.
Manarius wrote:The Neo-Cons would call me a defeatist. I'd call me a realist. I'm realistically saying that a snowball has better chances in the blazes of hell than democracy has in Iraq.
1995 Polo Green Subaru SVX (189k miles - 08/2007-Present)
LaureltheQueen
Spelling Nazi
Spelling Nazi

Post by LaureltheQueen »

yeah. paintless dent repair guys own. :)

so do burnishers. You can fix any etching mistake with one of those puppies and some patience
Laurel Tuning Stage 15
92 Touring Wagon 5MT 16G
[quote="NICO I WRX U"]the streets are my track[/quote]
scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by scottzg »

Can also use a spoon. It gets really hot though.
[url=http://www.thawa.net/gallery/albums/album108/DSCF0330.jpg]90 legacy of awesomeness[/url]