How much would you pay for this turbo legacy?

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

How much would you pay for this turbo legacy?

Post by Legacy777 »

It's a 91 AT turbo legacy.

It's got around 220k miles on it.

It sounds like it had routine oil changes and all that good stuff, however it doesn't sound like much preventative maintenance was done. The mechanic had more of a "fix it when it breaks" attitude.

The car does not currently run. The timing belt broke for some reason. She said it made some noise when first starting up. The mechanic she normally took it too in Colorado mentioned something about possibly the tensioner seizing and bolt breaking.

Bottom line is the car does not currently run, and needs about $300 worth of preventative maintenance to get it to a point I'm satisfied/comfortable to drive it. That is assuming the timing belt pullies aren't fubared.

She says the car is in "fair" condition....I think it's leaning more towards the poor side...but that's me.

She is moving to India with her husband in 5 weeks, and needs to get rid of the car. She wants $1000 for it, but I just think that's way too high for a car that doesn't run, and has questionable maintenance. I'm going to take a look at the timing belt issue, and see what exactly was the cause for the belt breaking.

Also, she mentioned something about a wheel bearing...

Lastly, I'm not sure it'll pass inspection without replacing the windshield. It's got a crack that goes the whole way across. The place she had it towed to when the belt broke said it would, but I'd like a second opinion.

Here's pics
http://www.main.experiencetherave.com:8 ... rbolegacy/

Opinions? I've told her I'll give her $500 for it.....
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

i agree that 1k is way too much. i paid 2k for mine and it is pretty rusty but well cared for mechanically.
500 sounds good to me. she sounds desperate to sell.
96 Impreza L sedan
97 legacy outback limited
00 Impreza RS sedan
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

OMG. It's a black 91 Turbo Legacy!! There's only 15 of those in the world!! You need to cough up at least 15 grand for it Josh, even if it doesn't run!! :lol:

$500 is a bit too much if you ask me, unless you plan on putting a new timing belt on it and selling it, or part it out. It's a 91 turbo, which is good, but it's auto and has 220k poorly-maintained miles.
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

I can't comment too much on normal asking prices, but I can tell you how much I just paid for my 93 SS. Bought it first week of Aug.

206K miles. Auto. Stock, no mods. Seems well taken care of, I you consider "jiffy lube" to be well taken care of.

Much cleaner than the pics you posted. Driver's seat showing a little wear, but other than that interior is good. No tears or worn thru spots. Dash is not cracked. No missing switches or such. Factory tape and CD player. Aftermarket speakers in the rear at least. Glass sunroof (did all SS's have them?) Everything works, but windows a little slow. Does have a cracked windshield. Drivers seat height adjustment not working.

Chrome factory rims. Good factory color repaint, some overspray. Lose grill. No apparant accidents. Small blemish on rear light panel, but no cracks. Very yellowed headlights. California car so, no rust.

Was running but lots of misfires and hesitation. Wierd shifting and hunting of the transmission at certain throttle angles. Sometimes squealing accesorry belts. Sometimes squeaky brakes. Almost new Yokahama tires.

Asking $1000, but drove bad on test drive and the lady felt guilty so she lowered to $800, I took it.

After the sale....Plugs and wires took care of the hesitation and misfires. Crank pulley needed replacing and that took care of the squealing. Timing belt was on it's way out too. Good Alpine alarm cheaply installed. I took it out to return wiring to stock. Transmission still acts wierd. Passed smog, barely. Runs pretty good and cruises freeway to work awesome. Think maybe it needs struts, but, never having driven a Legacy before, not sure how they usually "feel".

Overall, I say good purchase. No regrets. Gonna be my RallyCross car, but now almost seems too nice for that purpose. Temped to disobey the wife and make the 9 years newer WRX the rallycross car and keep this one as a daily driver.

Sorry for being long winded, just wanted to give ya a good basis for comparing.

Jess
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Thanks guys.

Yeah....even 500 is on the border. But I don't want to completely low ball her.

If I do buy it, I'm not exaclty sure what I'll do with it. May drive it around for a while and then sell it....I'm not sure.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

subawhatsubawho
Fourth Gear

Post by subawhatsubawho »

500 would be about right. That thing is worth it in parts alone.

If I had it I would swap out the seats, rims and tires. You have aftermarket rims on your car so that is of no interest to you.

I'd give her 500 for it.
douglas vincent
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by douglas vincent »

The block on Ebay sells for $500.
Reddevil, Awaiting new heart, will it ever happen?
1990 wagon, EJ25 12.3 @ 116.5 FAST Family wagon getting new motor soon
1992 wagon, wifes daily, high compression
1992 Touring wagon, should I keep it?
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

douglas vincent wrote:The block on Ebay sells for $500.
which is why she is trying for a grand i would imagine.
96 Impreza L sedan
97 legacy outback limited
00 Impreza RS sedan
Manarius
Fourth Gear

Post by Manarius »

Legacy777 wrote:Thanks guys.

Yeah....even 500 is on the border. But I don't want to completely low ball her.

If I do buy it, I'm not exaclty sure what I'll do with it. May drive it around for a while and then sell it....I'm not sure.
500 is plenty. That thing is beat. It's going to cost you that much just to get it on the road.

If you do get the car, a little bit of love and that thing would be nice ride. Get those God-Awful pinstripes off, get the stickers off the back, clean up the headlights, vaccuum it out, get some seat covers, and you'll be all set.
Manarius wrote:The Neo-Cons would call me a defeatist. I'd call me a realist. I'm realistically saying that a snowball has better chances in the blazes of hell than democracy has in Iraq.
1995 Polo Green Subaru SVX (189k miles - 08/2007-Present)
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Well assuming that it has a rear LSD I'd say it's worth the $500. You could pull the diff and the motor alone and make a little money on it.

I'd do whatever little repairs are a must and then rallyX the hell out of it personally.
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

legacy92ej22t wrote:Well assuming that it has a rear LSD I'd say it's worth the $500. You could pull the diff and the motor alone and make a little money on it.
Good point. Didn't think of that.

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
dzx
Fifth Gear

Post by dzx »

If you decide not to get it, let me know. I agree though that 1k is a bit high for a car that isnt running with questionable background.
///M
'93 Legacy SS - part out
LaureltheQueen
Spelling Nazi
Spelling Nazi

Post by LaureltheQueen »

I call dibs on the rear diff if he parts it out!
Laurel Tuning Stage 15
92 Touring Wagon 5MT 16G
[quote="NICO I WRX U"]the streets are my track[/quote]
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The thing is, I know I could easily get the money out of it if I part it out.

After I get the engine swapped on my car, I'm not really going to be wanting to do any major stuff for a while, plus I don't want to give up the garage space for my car for this beater.

The plan is to take the timing belt covers off this weekend, see what's wrong with it, and hopefully get it running, so I can drive it, and inquire about the windshield.

If I buy it, I'd like to get it running and everything working well. I'll either drive it around or turn around and sell it.

If she doesn't go for what I offer, I'll let you guys know and see if anyone wants it.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Man oh man....what a fawking mess this thing is.

Since we last talked.....the car was dropped off at my place. I looked over it more closely....it's leaking power steering fluid, one of the rack boots is torn, and the motor is covered with so much oil it's disgusting. There's a sludge puddle on the pass side of the motor.

I emailed her last week and told her I was going to pass on it....but told her I'd help her get it running by throwing some old parts on it. I sent this email before I looked at it more closely...tried to recall it, and she got pissy.

Anyway.....I looked at it today, and it's definitely a lot more difficult doing the timing belt on a turbo, especially when rubber hoses are like plastic and won't move, or be removed....

The idler gear seized, and just shredded the timing belt. I've never seen something so f'd up.

Took about two hours to do everything. It runs....that's all I care about.....I just want it out of my driveway.

Pics of the disaster area
http://www.main.experiencetherave.com:8 ... ddedtbelt/
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Did the idler gear actually have NO seal on it, or did you pull it to find why it seized?

*Formerly DerFahrer*

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

That is exactly how I found it.

One of the pullies spins pretty freely, and probably has no grease in it either....but that's not my problem, and I didn't feel like giving her any more free parts.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT