Bad neighboors or am I just an a*hole?

This is for non-Subaru related topics. Keep it realistic please.

Moderator: Moderators

skid542
Fifth Gear

Bad neighboors or am I just an a*hole?

Post by skid542 »

I live in the bottom floor of a two story apartment building. I have a nice little efficiency and live by myself, as do the one girl to the left and the two guys to the right, my end of the building making a third edge of the frat house's (other neighboor) courtyard. I don't really care about the noise they make and such is cool up until a little after 2:00am at which point I appreciate that they usually quit just yelling and hollaring drunk and just talk loudly.

I try to take the same stance with the people above me, and the old people were pretty good about it. However, the new people have taken to the habit of blairing their music getting half lit before going to the bars at night, then coming in at 2.30 and starting back up for another 45 minutes or so. It doesn't really matter what day of the week it is, for instance its Sunday night and they did this again. I've tried thumping on the ceiling, I'm 6'5ish..., and I know they hear me but just simply don't give a shit. I was cool when they got a couple of puppies that didn't get out for walks enough and I don't care when the spend the night with a kegger going on.

Am I wrong to want to be able to not have to listen to every word in the lyrics of my neighboors music so early in the morning for 45 minutes or be woken up by them doing the same thing countless times? I know I'm a bit of a hermit but am I am starting to become an asshole about this? What's your stance when it comes to your apt. neighboors?
Lee

93' SS, 5mt swapped, 182k, not stock...
96' N/A OBW 5sp, 212k, Couple mods... RIP
99' N/A OBW, 4eat, mostly stock.
scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by scottzg »

You're a **** ****.
[url=http://www.thawa.net/gallery/albums/album108/DSCF0330.jpg]90 legacy of awesomeness[/url]
Manarius
Fourth Gear

Post by Manarius »

You have the right to request them to shut up. You pay rent just like they do, that doesn't give them the right to go all crazy. I guess what you could do is:
1. Get the manager to shut them up
2. Get all your neighbors together to go up there and tell them to shut up
3. Get all your neighbors together and get the apartment manager involved
4. Call the cops (a curfew may apply here...but it's stretching the way you use a curfew)
Manarius wrote:The Neo-Cons would call me a defeatist. I'd call me a realist. I'm realistically saying that a snowball has better chances in the blazes of hell than democracy has in Iraq.
1995 Polo Green Subaru SVX (189k miles - 08/2007-Present)
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

You have to make a choice: do you think you'll need to resort to mild terror tactics or not? If you think it may come to that I wouldn't tell anyone a damn thing, but if getting the property mgr involved may stop them, then do that. I always keep my music low after 10 and never use power tools after 9. I never have many problems with my neighbors since I scare them.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

Thanks Scott :).

Glad to hear that I'm not out of line with starting to get a bit pissed. The frat guys all know I shoot on a regular basis and they also know I'm a bit of a redneck and I've made my stance with them so they respect me. I don't really want to have to get the realator (sp?) involved if I don't have to either. I'm not sure how legit my little gecko buddy is with their regulations so the least interaction I have to have with them the better.
So perhaps you're right Steve, I just need to scare some respect into them, question now then I guess is how without getting the cops called. You've got a sicker sense of humor than me, suggestions?
Lee

LaureltheQueen
Spelling Nazi
Spelling Nazi

Post by LaureltheQueen »

Play your music rather loud late at night. Have loud sex. worked for me with my apartment. :)
Laurel Tuning Stage 15
92 Touring Wagon 5MT 16G
[quote="NICO I WRX U"]the streets are my track[/quote]
Tleg93
Fifth Gear

Post by Tleg93 »

My neighbors like to look in my windows when they walk by on the sidewalk on my side of the building. I live in a half a double. They'll sit on my side of the porch. Their kids will ride by on their bikes and just casually look in my windows too. I guess they really want to see what I'm doing and check to see if I'm home so they can look in and see, it's awesome. They'll also talk on the phone while standing on my side.

So I just said screw it and I'll talk on the phone on their side and look in their windows while I'm doing it. I should just walk around inside naked so they can get an eyeful. Then, when the cops come I'll just say "Oh yeah, that must have been when I got out of the shower. Why, was someone looking in my windows? Oh yeah, I heard there was a peeping tom in the neighboorhood. You never think they'll move in next door to you."

I'll also go out on the porch wearing just a pair of shorts and warmly greet everyone that goes in their side or just stare at them and smile like they do when people try to come in to my side. :roll:

Edit: Above was stated vaguely

So, yeah, I'd do something. I just can't tell you what except to fight fire with fire but don't go crazy. My landlord told me to speak to them but I really don't think I should have to tell them how to behave towards a neighbor.
Last edited by Tleg93 on Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
--Scott--

1991 - Rio Red SS
J-MoNeY
Fourth Gear

Post by J-MoNeY »

Clean your gun outside frequently.
98 LGT
skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

^^^ I do but only the frat sees me doing it, unfortunately the top level of my building exits on the opposite side of the building and onto the road (my building is in the side of a hill).

Laurel, do you have any girlfriends in southwestern VA willing to lend a ... umm... be willing to help?

Scott, if half public nudity could solve this problem I would, but unless my neighboors are a bunch of women (don't think so) I don't think my birthday suit will help much.

I'm starting to consider taking a friend up on his offer to borrow his massive sub and amp and mounting it to the ceiling directly to the rafters. Perhaps in conjuction with one of those sine wave test loops.
Lee

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Have you gone up there and talked to them, asking them to stop? If not, do it.....if they continue, call the cops.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Back in school, we used a Marshall stack to blast MOD and RBL Posse to piss off women neighbors who used to give us shit. Worked.

For what I do now, I'm just myself - I talk to myself constantly and loudly (comes from growing up in a haunted house - talking to yourself can be comforting). I read the news and swear about it out loud, usually threatening to kill people. I also criticize terror attacks/plots and offer my feedback outloud as well as dicussing plot ideas for my novels which are similar subject matter. Many conversations revolve around how to really solve problems - like kill offenders' families, little kids, that kind of deal. Then I go outside and work on my car ... Mostly it's the same shit except I'm threatening to graphically kill Japanese engineers/neglectful previous owner/assmonkey auto body guys/careless pricks in parking lots/crazy old bitch upstairs who screams at the top of her lungs constantly. I don't talk to my neighbors at all unless they initiate it, have few visitors, come and go at weird hours, suspiciously load and unload large packages from my vehicle at night, and probably just give the general impression of a hitman or serial killer. I also openly stare at people I don't trust or like. Freaks them out.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Manarius
Fourth Gear

Post by Manarius »

evolutionmovement wrote:For what I do now, I'm just myself - I talk to myself constantly and loudly (comes from growing up in a haunted house - talking to yourself can be comforting). I read the news and swear about it out loud, usually threatening to kill people. I also criticize terror attacks/plots and offer my feedback outloud as well as dicussing plot ideas for my novels which are similar subject matter. Many conversations revolve around how to really solve problems - like kill offenders' families, little kids, that kind of deal. Then I go outside and work on my car ... Mostly it's the same shit except I'm threatening to graphically kill Japanese engineers/neglectful previous owner/assmonkey auto body guys/careless pricks in parking lots/crazy old bitch upstairs who screams at the top of her lungs constantly. I don't talk to my neighbors at all unless they initiate it, have few visitors, come and go at weird hours, suspiciously load and unload large packages from my vehicle at night, and probably just give the general impression of a hitman or serial killer. I also openly stare at people I don't trust or like. Freaks them out.
Not to be mean, but you're weird. :P
Manarius wrote:The Neo-Cons would call me a defeatist. I'd call me a realist. I'm realistically saying that a snowball has better chances in the blazes of hell than democracy has in Iraq.
1995 Polo Green Subaru SVX (189k miles - 08/2007-Present)
skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

Thanks, the voice of logical reason, and then the voice of Steve with his logic :) (I'm slowly falling more and more to the evolutionmovement).
I'll try to keep from blaring music too loudly and I'll talk to them before calling the cops but I'll start being more adament about my dislike of them when I see them. I don't really talk to my neighboors either, other than to tell them when they first moved in that if my music ever gets too loud just knock and let know and it's no problem, but of course I'm polite to the tall cute girl next door ;). I guess I got pretty 'spoiled' growing up surrounded by only cowfields, still trying to get used to this downtown living.

But I'm still open to creative ways to piss them off if it does have to come to that.
Lee

Fuzzylee
In Neutral

Post by Fuzzylee »

I've had the same sort of problem with the rental property next door. Here in Chattanowhere there is a noise ordinace from 10:00pm until 7:00am, but the cops generally don't care unless your loud stereo happens to be in a moving automobile. My solution, I take a day off from work and trim the hedgerow between us with my unmuffled 31cc chainsaw at 7:00am sharp. If I take the time and do a really good job it last about 2 hours. They usually get the hint.
94 SS 4EAT
98 Outback
dscoobydoo
Fifth Gear

Post by dscoobydoo »

I have to agree with most of everyone here.

Step 1- politely tell them to keep it down.
Step 2- Try the apt manager
Step 3- check the police for noise ordinances.
Step 4- After a nice night of keeping you awake, I suggest waking them up at 6 am after a night like this with: Loud serious bass, a chainsaw, or recording police sirens and playing that at 120 decibels.

Or if you can find the circuit breaker for that apartment, that might work also.
Yes I have too many Subarus
No you can't have one
05 GD-STI
01- RS- Swapped-07 STI
00- GF
93 SS- "the original Robtune" (now in new hands)
Tleg93
Fifth Gear

Post by Tleg93 »

Scott, if half public nudity could solve this problem I would, but unless my neighboors are a bunch of women (don't think so) I don't think my birthday suit will help much.
I thought maybe the shock value would scare them a bit. I know, just scream in agony at four in the morning. Say crazy shit through a microphone. Say shit like "No daddy no! I was a good boy! Please stop, you're killing meeee!!!"

and then change your voice and answer yourself with a warning to shut up or you'll do it again.

:twisted: :x :) :cry:

Make 'em think you're crazy.
--Scott--

1991 - Rio Red SS
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

You could send gay strippers to their place. I always find foul odors are great. One of the best is old sea food like the kind of fish Cambodians would eat. Only problem is being able to stand it yourself unless you can plant it so that only they get the olfactory force and you're not your own collateral damage. Dead skunk is the absolute best, but getting one and transporting it safely are difficult to say the least.

We also used fox urine from a hunting place back in the dorms. They used to keep the hallways really damn hot in winter so we sprayed their radiator, carpet, door threshold, and knob. Human piss is very distinct - this just smelled like some random animal crawled up and died there.

Steve
snowboarded
Third Gear

Post by snowboarded »

Steve's ideas will work the best if talking to them doesn't achieve the desired results.

Screaming at yourself, threatening to kill the other voice inside with a q-tip also works well...
[quote="Manarius "]Only flamers will get those. [/quote]
[quote="All_talk "]How many WHP will that give me? :)[/quote]

2010 Subaru Impreza 5mt 5 door
skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

Hehe, yeah the gay strippers is a good one, I knew Steve would come through. Though if I owned a 31 cc chainsaw I'd now use it to prune my flower box. They were quiet last night but I'm sure they'll be back at it soon and I'll have a friendly chat with them and hopefully that'll do it.
Lee

LaureltheQueen
Spelling Nazi
Spelling Nazi

Post by LaureltheQueen »

maybe they're on this board. :eek:

I lived in the country my entire life, until I moved out last summer. My apartment life lasted approximately 6 months. I can not go back. My downstairs neighbors played video games with their sub turned up, so there would be approximately 5 hours of the exact same beat going almost every night. My upstairs neighbors didn't understand the theory of walking lightly. ugh. Then they'd get up about 15 minutes before I got up every morning for work, and go to the bathroom, flushing the toilet, so I could hear all of their urine and shit running down the pipes in my wall. That robbed me of those vital last 15 minutes of sleep. I wanted to kill them all.
Laurel Tuning Stage 15
92 Touring Wagon 5MT 16G
[quote="NICO I WRX U"]the streets are my track[/quote]
AWD_addict
Fifth Gear

Post by AWD_addict »

dscoobydoo wrote:Or if you can find the circuit breaker for that apartment, that might work also.
I second this method.
90 L+ wgn
Tleg93
Fifth Gear

Post by Tleg93 »

I lived in the country my entire life, until I moved out last summer. My apartment life lasted approximately 6 months. I can not go back. My downstairs neighbors played video games with their sub turned up, so there would be approximately 5 hours of the exact same beat going almost every night. My upstairs neighbors didn't understand the theory of walking lightly. ugh. Then they'd get up about 15 minutes before I got up every morning for work, and go to the bathroom, flushing the toilet, so I could hear all of their urine and shit running down the pipes in my wall. That robbed me of those vital last 15 minutes of sleep. I wanted to kill them all.
Yeah, living below someone usually isn't too fun. You have to deal with that stuff if you do. I don't think anyone thinks about how they walk or other stuff like that. It's just a bad position to be in.
--Scott--

1991 - Rio Red SS
tris91ricer
Title Whore

Post by tris91ricer »

Tleg93 wrote:
Yeah, living below someone usually isn't too fun. You have to deal with that stuff if you do. I don't think anyone thinks about how they walk or other stuff like that. It's just a bad position to be in.
I dunno. . . In my experience, it's better being on bottom. :wink:
[b]'92 L Sedan[/b]
EJ20g 4.11 5sp LSD

[quote]e46 owners tend to be twats.
[/quote]
skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

hehe, I was wondering when that joke would get made
Lee

Tleg93
Fifth Gear

Post by Tleg93 »

Ahh, the sound of turds mashing against the inside of home plumbing, how wonderful is that?
--Scott--

1991 - Rio Red SS