Tips on my impending engine out

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

musketeerracing
First Gear

Tips on my impending engine out

Post by musketeerracing »

So many great posts here - saw the engine swap sticky and it's great. I have some questions about internals that I know you guys'll be able to answer fast. Sorry these are all over the map:

1. Best place for EJ22T gasket sets? the guy who was listing them on ebay out of England seems to be out.

2. It's the rods that are the weak point, right? I'm not building a monster, but I don't take engines apart for no reason. Rod and piston recommendations?

3. Anyone put a turbo 5MT into a NA 5MT body? (don't worry, I've got the 3.9 diff too). It's the clutch master I need, right? Pedal box? Or is there a way to use the cable clutch on the turbo box?

4. Does a tubular WRX manifold (Vibrant) fit the chassis and mate to the turbo? Ditto for downpipe?

5. What, really, is the bottom line on using 2.5 heads? Is it a bolt-on with a simple head gasket modification? Or is the jury out?

Thanks gents.
ACP
ACP
www.musketeerracing.com
1991 Legacy SS 5MT Rally car (sold)
1993 Legacy SS 5MT Street car (selling)
1997 Lancer Evo IV RS Rally car (sold)
2006 Lancer Evo IX RS Rally car
2009 Lancer Evo X RS Rally car
1989 240SX SR20 Drift car
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

If you want subaru headgaskets...you'll need to go to the dealer or an online subaru dealer. I recommend www.subarugenuineparts.com

I actually read in the SAE article about the boxer motors that the rods are forged. I believe they were talking about the EJ20T motor overseas....but I don't think they changed much for the US EJ22T.

Yes, if you're putting it in a 90 MY, you will have to cut out the hole in the firewall. From 91 onward the hole is cut. Also, one of the mounts for the pedal assembly is not there for the 90 MY. You'll need a hydraulic pedal assembly, and associated master cylinder, etc. FYI, the newer hydraulic pedal assemblies will work too.

What do you mean tubular intake manifold? Just the normal intake manifold? It won't mate up with the bolt holes on the ej22t heads.

There's some detailed threads regarding the 2.5 heads, please search.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Matt Monson
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by Matt Monson »

1. If you buy the Victor Reinz gaskets that you can get at your local Napa, when they arrive you will find that they are genuine Subaru gaskets for about 20-25% cheaper.

2. You said you read the sticky. Did you miss the part where Xephyr was running 25+psi on stock rods and pistons? Save your pennies and don't waste any money here unless you want to buy some pistons to bump the CR for use with other heads.

3.? don't know.
4.What Josh said.
5. They bolt on. You use the manifold that belongs to the head. You need to fabricate custom oil and coolant cooling for the turbo. The simplest way to do it would be EJ20G or Ej205 turbo heads, but SOHC and DOHC EJ25 heads are being used by many people as well. They all drop the CR into the 7's (or 6.5 for the EJ20G) and if you are uncomfortable with that, you will want to see #2 above...
1974 Porsche 914 Cam Am Limted Edition AKA the Bumble Bee
1973 Porsche 914 2.0 l -Suby swap pending
1968 Porsche 911t survivor 47k original miles
2000 2.5RS daily driver.
1999 2.5RS w/ 50+ extra whp
Suby Hai!
musketeerracing
First Gear

Thanks guys.

I meant the tubular exhaust manifold, not intake. Sorry should have specified. Will that fit?

I did read the sticky and know of people telling about big boost on stock internals, but two things lead me to worry. 1. those internals have simply not failed yet, and 2. in the Subaru rally community the feeling is the turbo rods are weak. No less than Frank Sprongl at Four Star and Nick Boucher from Lachute recently agreed with that assessment (Nick if you're here I think I asked you this, right?) when they were up to build two 91 Legacy Turbos for our TV show.

Let me ask the question this way: of all the people running over 20lbs of boost on stock internals, how many have failed, and how many full-boost miles are on the ones that haven't failed?
ACP
www.musketeerracing.com
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yes the exhaust headers for the WRX will bolt on.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
musketeerracing
First Gear

Thanks guys - I'm going to take the cable/hydraulic clutch question to the right area on the board. But for foreshadowing the questions will be: is there a way to use the cable linkage and therefore the NA clutch assembly with the Turbo geabox. And if not (or even if so) how late a pedal and master assembly can you use. Can you use Impreza/WRX?

A
ACP
www.musketeerracing.com