After accident, engine will start, but not idle

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

bjlandlew
In Neutral

After accident, engine will start, but not idle

Post by bjlandlew »

Ok this is sort of a x-post from my other thread, but I thought that I might get some response here. I did search and found alot about erratic idle, but I am having a hard time with this one.

The accident to my 93' Legacy Sport really only caused damage to the fenders, bumper and radiator. I replaced the radiator last week and have been trying to get the engine to start up and run reliably. :?

When the car starts I have to keep my foot on the gas. If I do not the rpms will drop and the engine will cough and die. When it is running the exhaust smells rich. Also I can't just keep my foot on the pedal in the same place; even at 2k the rpms may drop and then the engine will cough and I have to put my foot down to raise the rpm again. Also if the rpm falls below 1000 it is almost a sure thing that I will not be able to keep the car running. Basically...it just will not idle period!

I have no fluid leaks, I have traced and cleaned all the grounds, I have made sure all the vacuum hoses are connected properly, and the check engine light does not come on. I disconnected the battery for awhile and pumped the brake to reset the ECU and the same thing happened with the idle.

So where do I go next? Which components are so sensitive that a minor collision would cause them to fail?

Thanks for your help; my chiltons is just not cutting it right now. :(
93' Legacy Sport "Under Construction" ;-)
87' 944 Turbo (unbelievably the dd)
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Is it possible that the timing belt jumped a tooth or something?
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
Lunatech
Second Gear

Post by Lunatech »

Does it straghten up after it warms up, or is it that way all the time?
Robert,

Rio Red 1990 L sedan 5MT at least 302000 mi. and Spruce Pearl 1996 Wagon 4EAT 245000 mi.

georryan wrote:
Don't knock him for thinking outside of the box. At least he has been creative.
sammydafish
Third Gear

Post by sammydafish »

could be a bad temp sensor

is this every start, cold starts or hot starts?

if it's hot starts it could be just an air pocket in the cooling system.

like vrg said, check the timing belt. a good jolt can make the belt jump, especialy on a manual trans car.
- Junior
90L Wagon EJ22E on Toyota CT-26 boost -- Crushed!
95L Wagon on T3/T4 boost :)
www.trdsupra.com [b][url=http://trdsupra.com/library/forsale/]Cheap parts![/url][/b][quote="Imprezive"]alright, I give up, I'm going to NASIOC...[/quote]
douglas vincent
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by douglas vincent »

Even though you checked for vacumn leaks, check again! maybe something got cracked.
Reddevil, Awaiting new heart, will it ever happen?
1990 wagon, EJ25 12.3 @ 116.5 FAST Family wagon getting new motor soon
1992 wagon, wifes daily, high compression
1992 Touring wagon, should I keep it?
mouth564

uhh

Post by mouth564 »

Even though you checked for vacumn leaks, check again! maybe something got cracked.
Okay if you say so. :D