David Carter Fiberglass Hood

Show us your Legacy pictures and videos.

Moderator: Moderators

rallysam
Fourth Gear

David Carter Fiberglass Hood

Post by rallysam »

That's the "race" version that's cheaper than the "show" version.

I just posted my install thread here:
http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=23435

Here's the group buy where I think they are still for sale:
http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic. ... 789#115789[/url]
Last edited by rallysam on Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

i am pretty sure dave is done selling those hoods. it was a total nightmare for him aparently.
96 Impreza L sedan
97 legacy outback limited
00 Impreza RS sedan
rallysam
Fourth Gear

Post by rallysam »

I dunno... I just bought mine about a month ago and he had a whole stack of leftovers (mostly the botched "race" versions)...
'00 Impr RS - sold
'91 Legacy Turbo 5MT - mothballed
13psi, TurboXS TBE, WRX IC, Hallman MBC, TurboXS FCD, KYB AGX, Phil's STI seat, SPT short shifter, David Carter hood, Zeitronix widebandO2, Kuhmo rally tires, STI IC spray, thanks:gearboxtech.com
David Carter
Vendor
Vendor

Leftovers

Post by David Carter »

Your right greg..the group buy did me in.. but i still have alot of left overs.. Sam has the link to the info posted..if you go all the way to the end of the thread you can find the prices and conditions..

But yes.. i'm glad the group-buy finally was settled favoriably..now i just got to get rid of the rest of em..

Looks great sam, The car looks angrier

David
91 Subaru Legacy LS 2.2l FWD WGN
91 Subaru Legacy SSDN 2.2t AWD
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Very nice pics!
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
dzx
Fifth Gear

Post by dzx »

Looks pretty good.
///M
'93 Legacy SS - part out
rallysam
Fourth Gear

Post by rallysam »

Thanks, guys!
'00 Impr RS - sold
13psi, TurboXS TBE, WRX IC, Hallman MBC, TurboXS FCD, KYB AGX, Phil's STI seat, SPT short shifter, David Carter hood, Zeitronix widebandO2, Kuhmo rally tires, STI IC spray, thanks:gearboxtech.com
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Nice! It looks good painted. =)
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Nice! What's the story on the paint job?
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
rallysam
Fourth Gear

Post by rallysam »

Are ya curious what happened to the hood since it spent 15 hours bungie-corded to your garage ceiling? (while we banged our heads on it!)

I guess there is a bit of a story to it...

I couldn't bring myself to spray paint it... or even to use my friend's real car painting equipment. So, instead I ended up going to a place that Andrewtech recommended. It was expensive, but it looks OEM.

It's not that I wanted it to look GOOD, it's just that I didn't want it to stand out like a sore thumb. This car is supposed to be a sleeper not a ricer.... and the big fricking hole in the hood plus hood pins already attracts enough attention. If my clumsy ass painted it, I had images of a bright pink, blobby, orange-peel. All I want is "kinda OEM look", which is like the hardest possible thing to ask for in the field of painting.

Ironically, the very DAY they started painting it, my sister-in-law-to-be (what's that called? sister-ance?) told me that a close friend of ours owns a paint shop. "What?!?!" :shock: I was like: "I've been talking about painting this hood for weeks and you didn't mention Sabrina's whole family runs a paint shop in the richest part of the city????" (for locals: in downtown Bethesda less than 1 block from Jaleo). That's a quality place that does mercedes for trophy wives, and they would have beaten the other place's price by 20% because of the friend connection. Sigh....

Anyway, all's well that ends well. I'm very very happy with how it turned out.
Last edited by rallysam on Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
'00 Impr RS - sold
David Carter
Vendor
Vendor

Post by David Carter »

my only question is why didn't you paint the bottom of the hood.. no it dosen't have to look pretty..but i would painted it black or something..get rid of thet fiberglass yellow/orange..i dunno

heh. the car looks good. when's the roll cage going in?

David
91 Subaru Legacy LS 2.2l FWD WGN
91 Subaru Legacy SSDN 2.2t AWD
rallysam
Fourth Gear

Post by rallysam »

David Carter wrote:my only question is why didn't you paint the bottom of the hood.. no it dosen't have to look pretty..but i would painted it black or something..get rid of thet fiberglass yellow/orange..i dunno
Eh ::shrug:: I could see it either way. I dunno, painting the bottom wouldn't really help me in any way and it would cost a bit more paint shop labor.
heh. the car looks good. when's the roll cage going in?

David
Hee heee
:twisted:
Tempting, but I'm a cheap bastard, so I probably won't bother caging it for rallycross. I'm just going to drive with my right foot down, eyes closed, chanting the rally motto "please god, shiny side up!"
'00 Impr RS - sold
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

rallysam wrote:Are ya curious what happened to the hood since it spent 15 hours bungie-corded to your garage ceiling? (while we banged our heads on it!)
Hehehe, yeah.
I couldn't bring myself to spray paint it... or even to use my friend's real car painting equipment. So, instead I ended up going to a place that Andrewtech recommended. It was expensive, but it looks OEM.
Cool, yeah, it looks great!
If my clumsy ass painted it, I had images of a bright pink, blobby, orange-peel. All I want is "kinda OEM look", which is like the hardest possible thing to ask for in the field of painting.
I guess... I think you coulda done okay. But this is better.
sister-in-law-to-be (what's that called? sister-ance?)
Fiancee's sister? Image
"I've been talking about painting this hood for weeks and you didn't mention Sabrina's whole family runs a paint shop in the richest part of the city????" (for locals: in downtown Bethesda less than 1 block from Jaleo). That's a quality place that does mercedes for trophy wives, and they would have beaten the other place's price by 20% because of the friend connection. Sigh....
Sigh.

Could you hook me up if I needed stuff painted? It'd only be, like, 4 degrees of separation. ;)
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
rallysam
Fourth Gear

Post by rallysam »

Could you hook me up if I needed stuff painted? It'd only be, like, 4 degrees of separation. ;)
Hehe, yeah serously. I'll definitely refer you, FWIW
'00 Impr RS - sold
professor
Third Gear

Post by professor »

Actually you should paint the back - fiberglass likes to be painted, raw exposed glass ends tend to absorb moisture and expand and take the laminate apart eventually
That beer you are drinking cost more than my car
rallysam
Fourth Gear

Post by rallysam »

professor wrote:Actually you should paint the back - fiberglass likes to be painted, raw exposed glass ends tend to absorb moisture and expand and take the laminate apart eventually
Really? That sucks. I guess I'll have to look into that eventually.
'00 Impr RS - sold
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Just Rustoleum the back.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Epoxy paint would probably seal better. You could go nuts with marine shit, but I think some epoxy spray paint 'll do fine. I always have trouble finding it in flat black, but they do make it as I used it on my '83 GL. Stuff's pretty indestructable, too.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.